Machine Request: Clay Maker

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I know that we have many devs that frequent these forums. I'd humbly request, from any dev willing, a method of producing mass amounts of clay. With the addition of hardened clay blocks to the game, there seems an opportunity to allow players some magical or technological method of creating enough clay to build with.

Many mods have cobble generation, stone production and methods of grinding stone into gravel or sand. Tree farming methods are plentiful. But no where is there a method of creating clay on the same level as these other materials.

Sure there should be a cost. I know the clay is important to many mods as a gating method. Honestly I love TiCo and wouldn't want to put a buff in place that over simplifies the smeltery. To be honest though, you can really just come across a gravel and sand beach and get enough clay from the water to at least be ready to smelt seared bricks within your first hour or two of play.

So if any mod author cares please give us clay in mass quantities. Please.

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
You can craft Clay with Thermal Expansion. You can mass produce the required Slag by pulverizing ingots and re-smelting in an Induction Smelter with sand.

MFR harvesters (used in farms) produce Sludge fluid, which has a chance of producing Clay when fed into a Sludge Boiler.

Factorization's Mixers produce their own version of Sludge, which becomes Clay when smelted.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
MFR Sludge Boiler
Magical Crops, Earth and Water Essence
Therma Expansion , Two Slag, Dirt, and Water Bucket (can be automated and renewable, power and time hungry)
Magic Bees (they do everything)

When EE was available, I used that to solve my clay needs. When it's back, it'll be available again.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
None of those methods produce clay on the scale of cobble gens, maceratings for sand, etc...

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
None of those methods produce clay on the scale of cobble gens, maceratings for sand, etc...

You can automate the Thermal Expansion method pretty easily. I don't think clay is meant to be that easy to get, based on what mod devs have decided to make for it so far.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
ichun has a clay spawn mod. Makes clay spawn underground about the frequency of gravel in but not necessarily in as large of quantity. I run it, works great. Also one less tile entity on my server as the quarries will grab it while getting everything else.

EDIT: I also used to make clay from UUM back in 1.4.7

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
The problem here is that clay has never been difficult to get. It's merely a grind that involves a lot of torches underwater (or doors) and manually crafting clay into blocks.

RedBoss' point is that vanilla mechanics have now moved into an area where clay (which was pretty much worthless) now has a value as a decorative block, and it would be useful to have a machine that could craft it.

That said...short of TiCo, what uses for clay are you referring to that would benefit unduly from a machine that turned (say) sand+water+power into <something>(silt) and then autocraft that something into clay (to pick one possible processing path at random). Is it more commonly used in high-end IC2-Exp, because I'm not familiar with it.

Reactions: RedBoss

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
The sludge from the MFR harvester is a good way to get a lot of clay. Just to share my experience with it.. I'm currently above 100K clay and the sludge boiler (just one) has been online for about 2 weeks. This is on a server though and the sludge boiler is chunkloaded.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
The sludge from the MFR harvester is a good way to get a lot of clay. Just to share my experience with it.. I'm currently above 100K clay and the sludge boiler (just one) has been online for about 2 weeks. This is on a server though and the sludge boiler is chunkloaded.

Clay blocks or clay item?

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Clay blocks or clay item?
Clay item. But you have to be running a good chunk of the MFR processing chain and it's random. You can get quite the variety of stuff from it.

It is a good and valid answer, but not large-scale, short-term (I think that's what the request is about).

Reactions: RedBoss

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Do you HONESTLY need clay on the scale of cobble gens/macerating into sand ect?
(is there any process that continuously consumes clay as a disposable resource- aside from Gtech liquid fuels?)

What value is 100k clay over 5k clay?
For the most part it seems TE or Fz can provide enough.
Interestingly vanilla provided an entire biome made out of clay when more decorative blocks were added.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
(is there any process that continuously consumes clay as a disposable resource- aside from Gtech liquid fuels?)
Is there something inherently wrong with wanting to keep, say, a barrel full of every color hardened clay? It's a fantastic building material.

Interestingly vanilla provided an entire biome made out of clay when more decorative blocks were added.
5k clay would be...78, ish, of every color hardened clay?

100k clay would be ~1500. I think that the value of 100k over 5k should be obvious from a building perspective

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019

The same value of wood or cobble or stone. I want to build with it. Building is why I play mods. What's wrong with wanting a large amount of my favorite building material? What's wrong with wanting it produced on the same scale of other blocks?

I mean those questions rhetorically. I want to build with clay and I don't want to have to depend on slow, low yield methods or RNG for a Badlands biome. zilvarwolf understands. ;)

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Well, ender IO has the sag mill. This does not make clay, however, this device has a config in wich you can add recipy's. At a point during ender IO's develepment cycle it would turn 1 clay block into 5 clay, allowing you to make clay from power. Perhaps that works for you?

Or if you dont mind using mystcraft, try a sludge ocean world? Or a single biome badlands(BoP) world?

I can see why sludge (from a tree farm) alone does not quite do it, sludge also produces dirt wich can be used to make more clay with TE. Together its still not alot if your constantly building, however I am sure you do more then just build with clay. So while it might seem small, together it actually adds up quite well.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Energy Manipulator mod? Convert those excess resources you are not using into another other resource. Fully configurable for any type of playstyle and modpack.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
EE3 is coming back. I think that will probably be my go to option.

But this is still a machine I'd like quite a lot.
yes we know EE3 dev is coming along.. BUT FOR HOW LONG... Xycraft... 1.7 forge is out but mods havent updated yet. 1.8 MC will soon be out