Listed - 1.7.10 - HQM/SURVIVAL - Galactic Science - something fresh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delerium

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah its expensive, but also the best armor in game. Beside the early game machines form QF i consider it late endgame/hoarding. Thats also why i didnt change the requirements here. Beside the Battlesuite, which will be great for T5, its either exensive and you need to hoard for it, or wait until you can quarry gallifrey ;)

On the crafting bit of it - with a modular systems storage its not that bad when you do it in one run :)
My point wasn't really "can I make it" as much as "what's the point when I can get the same thing for cheaper?" (referring to the energy storage, not the armor.)

Also, you mentioned something about carrying an "awesomite core". Does that have some special undocumented function?

Astasia

Jul 29, 2019
Little confused at the point I'm at. I need more power to do anything, so I assume I should do the more power quest tab, but it's almost immediately blocked off by the vat which requires desh to craft. I see behind it in the quest tab there are things I know I can make earlier that would be useful. Even more confusing is I have been getting like buckets of rocket fuel and whatnot as early quest rewards, but I can't do anything with them for a long time I think. Am I just supposed to grind along with stirling generators until I can get to the other planets? The trash 2.0 or whatever quest that makes the 4rf/t machine appears to dead-end and not unlock anything behind it. Sorry if this was explained earlier in the thread, but I did a search for "vat" and didn't see anyone else mention this wall.

Also in I think the automation tab there is the quest to make the RF Tools crafter, and it talks about using it to compress cobble to get resources. The RF Tools crafter is horrible at that stage in the game for that purpose, it requires 1000 RF per craft. The refined relocation crafting module you can grab as a quest reward elsewhere in the tab is so much better for making compressed cobble, it takes 1 second per craft but there's no RF cost. This one just really threw me off, and after wasting a little time trying to power the crafter I ended up decomposing it to get my resources back.

I am really liking the pack though, starting on the moon and dealing with oxygen is a lot better I think than other packs which make you struggle with like hunger/thirst. I really enjoy minechem too so I am having fun using that to get resources.

Reactions: Caithleen

Astasia

Jul 29, 2019
That's not too different from what I've been doing, I've just been using carrots and taking the extra step to craft them into that 5700 tick or whatever fuel, but I guess that answers my question, thanks. I'm looking to get into power storage and stuff, which I know I have the resources to do, but it just seemed strange all the quests for that kind of thing were locked behind vats. I thought maybe it was a bug and vats weren't supposed to cost desh. I guess I will just "skip ahead" and craft the stuff I need and not wait until those quests unlock.

Caithleen

Jul 29, 2019
That's not too different from what I've been doing, I've just been using carrots and taking the extra step to craft them into that 5700 tick or whatever fuel, but I guess that answers my question, thanks. I'm looking to get into power storage and stuff, which I know I have the resources to do, but it just seemed strange all the quests for that kind of thing were locked behind vats. I thought maybe it was a bug and vats weren't supposed to cost desh. I guess I will just "skip ahead" and craft the stuff I need and not wait until those quests unlock.

The questline basically describes the T2 Power source with adv. generators. So you have to reach mars and get some desh there to start with it. Also most of EIO is T2+.

This is to make you put effort into getting up in the tiers and also give a different playstyle when you reached the milestones. At T2 it would e.g. be perfectly fine to seal your base so oxygen is no more an annoyance :)

Astasia

Jul 29, 2019
I see. What confused me is that like basic capacitors and some of the other things in there are super easy to make. Even the advanced generators seem like they are just iron and redstone, but I haven't played with the mod before so maybe I am not understanding something there. I will make a few capacitors I think, but otherwise try and stick to the quest progression thing and just add maybe another dozen sterlings to my base for now.

Caithleen

Jul 29, 2019
I see. What confused me is that like basic capacitors and some of the other things in there are super easy to make. Even the advanced generators seem like they are just iron and redstone, but I haven't played with the mod before so maybe I am not understanding something there. I will make a few capacitors I think, but otherwise try and stick to the quest progression thing and just add maybe another dozen sterlings to my base for now.

A Dozen is usually more then enough. You could also try to create a better star.

My demo setup for T1 was cobblestone decomposition (way worse then obsidian), 6 autosieves and 10 stirlings. Made T2 rocket material in about 8h.

Reactions: Astasia

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
You can build a Chopper/Planter -> Decomposer -> Syngas Producer (+ Heat Exchanger) -> Gas Turbine. This doesn't require any Desh and can get you 200 RF/t per Steel Steam Turbine, but it's almost a stack of iron to get even a small one running. It's not as Iron-efficient as Sterling Engines (maxing at 10 RF/t per 15 Fe, to an unupgraded Sterling's 20 FT/t per 16 Fe), but it's much easier on your wiring and space allocation, and EnderIO conduits start to have problems as Perpetuum Mobiles grow too large.

The quest line gates it behind The Vat, but honestly I've not found any of the Vat's recipes worthwhile until you need Nutrient Distillation.

Last edited:

Zarvoxbe

Jul 29, 2019
@Caithleen what did you think about Matter Overdrive ?

It's Star Trek theme fit well in space based modpack and he has a cool looking gun, the PHASERS !

An teleporter look cool too, I'm thinking you can switch rftool and this mod for the teleporter.

Caithleen

Jul 29, 2019
I tested MO but it was crashy and buggy. Perhaps ill revisit it when those beta hotfixes for it come to an end ;)

Delerium

Jul 29, 2019
You can build a Chopper/Planter -> Decomposer -> Syngas Producer (+ Heat Exchanger) -> Gas Turbine. This doesn't require any Desh and can get you 200 RF/t per Steel Steam Turbine, but it's almost a stack of iron to get even a small one running. It's not as Iron-efficient as Sterling Engines (maxing at 10 RF/t per 15 Fe, to an unupgraded Sterling's 20 FT/t per 16 Fe), but it's much easier on your wiring and space allocation, and EnderIO conduits start to have problems as Perpetuum Mobiles grow too large.

The quest line gates it behind The Vat, but honestly I've not found any of the Vat's recipes worthwhile until you need Nutrient Distillation.
I extensively used the vat to make fuel for the gas turbine generator, before I set up my fusion generator. At one point I tried making syngas to fuel it, but syngas production is horribly inefficient compared to using a vat and I wasted a ton of carbon (trees/coal blocks/etc) trying to keep it running..

Zarvoxbe

Jul 29, 2019
I extensively used the vat to make fuel for the gas turbine generator, before I set up my fusion generator. At one point I tried making syngas to fuel it, but syngas production is horribly inefficient compared to using a vat and I wasted a ton of carbon (trees/coal blocks/etc) trying to keep it running..
My syngas production use a 5x5 tree farm (diamond chopper with 23 upgrade) of spruce.

Poducer : 2 heating chambers, 5 mixing chambers, 1 syngas producer controler, 1 fluid intake valve, 1 fluid output valve, 1 item input.
Water : 1 transfert node fluid with 3 world interaction upgrade:
Wood : relocators with extraction upgrade on the chopper.

After producer warm up he produce 32.000 mB and the process is stable.

EDIT : I've made the RF Entangler and now I can powered my ender quarry wirelessly and across dimensions ! But damnit those things are ressources hungry (espacially the entangler). On the road again to T3 and so on :D

Last edited:

Delerium

Jul 29, 2019
My syngas production use a 5x5 tree farm (diamond chopper with 23 upgrade) of spruce.

Poducer : 2 heating chambers, 5 mixing chambers, 1 syngas producer controler, 1 fluid intake valve, 1 fluid output valve, 1 item input.
Water : 1 transfert node fluid with 3 world interaction upgrade:
Wood : relocators with extraction upgrade on the chopper.

After producer warm up he produce 32.000 mB and the process is stable.

EDIT : I've made the RF Entangler and now I can powered my ender quarry wirelessly and across dimensions ! But damnit those things are ressources hungry (espacially the entangler). On the road again to T3 and so on :D

I used three vats, two with cellulose + carbon (from decomposing trees) feeding into one with gunpowder (from a mob farm) and redstone (made with iron and copper in the synth). I only have to add to it once in a while as it produces a decent amount of fuel per resource. I just couldn't get a tree farm producing wood fast enough to keep up with syngas. I was at the mercy of tree growing timers. I never tried spruce though. Plus, once you start trying to make a battlesuit, you will need to be converting large quantities of carbon (trees) into diamonds, as it requires MANY blocks of diamonds to make. So much so that I automated a "log to carbon nanotubes" setup.

For energy transfer I just use dimensional transceivers. I didn't bother making an rf entangler because the production cost was so much higher and I didn't see any advantages...

Edit: question though, what do you power your tree farm with? I like using the RF engine but it seems to run out of power pretty quickly. Sometimes I chop up logs into planks and put a stack in there to cut down on per-operation fuel costs (one log per operation seemed steep to me). That feels like a viable alternative since we can't make pellets.

Side note to Cathleen: I don't do this often, but I just wanted to say that this is one of my favorite mod packs I've played in a long time. I can't remember the last time I've stuck with one pack and one save world for this long. Still looking forward to what is coming next in the updates. Can't wait for the next tier!

Last edited:

Caithleen

Jul 29, 2019
Side note to Cathleen: I don't do this often, but I just wanted to say that this is one of my favorite mod packs I've played in a long time. I can't remember the last time I've stuck with one pack and one save world for this long. Still looking forward to what is coming next in the updates. Can't wait for the next tier!

Very glad you like it! Thoo it will come to an "end" at T6 since you are ... allmighty then. Nearly the doctor.

Perhaps, if you reached that, you look into my signature ;)

Delerium

Jul 29, 2019
Very glad you like it! Thoo it will come to an "end" at T6 since you are ... allmighty then. Nearly the doctor.

Perhaps, if you reached that, you look into my signature ;)
Oh sweet! That looks awesome too!

Zarvoxbe: I made a setup like yours with spruce trees. OMG! I didn't realize it grew those huge trees! I just let the logs fuel it since it's impossible to keep it fueled any other way without constant attention... I'm using a nuclearcraft tough alloy axe inside it since it is cheap to make and has more durability than diamond. It still gets used up fairly fast though.

beocca

Jul 29, 2019
The imaginary time block grows trees super fast, I use one in combination with an enderio tree chopper. It works so fast that i only have to occasionally turn it on for a few minutes to fill both wood and cellulose barrels

Caithleen

Jul 29, 2019
Oh sweet! That looks awesome too!

Zarvoxbe: I made a setup like yours with spruce trees. OMG! I didn't realize it grew those huge trees! I just let the logs fuel it since it's impossible to keep it fueled any other way without constant attention... I'm using a nuclearcraft tough alloy axe inside it since it is cheap to make and has more durability than diamond. It still gets used up fairly fast though.

enderio farming station+healing axe - never worry again :)

Zarvoxbe

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: question though, what do you power your tree farm with?
I use RF and powered the chopper with energy from RedfluxField.

I'm using a nuclearcraft tough alloy axe inside it since it is cheap to make and has more durability than diamond. It still gets used up fairly fast though.
I didn't know the though alloy I must use it asap.

@Caithleen I didn't have the ressources for the healing now (only two stable ingots).

Only syngas being nerfed or the gas turbine ?

What do you think of the idea to make breathable oxygen with minechem ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.