Listed - 1.7.10 - HQM/SURVIVAL - Galactic Science - something fresh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyin

Jul 29, 2019
It sounds like you have a lot of game changing updates in the works. Would you recommend that I take a break until they are in place or keep playing on v.1.08?

The version'ing follows standard procedures:

First number = status
  • 0 for alpha (status)
  • 1 for beta (status)
  • 2 for release candidate
  • 3 for (final) releas
Second number = major updates, introducing new gameplay content
Third number = minor updates, mainly bug fixes
Fourth number = hot fixes and alike

I'm a professional web developer and also have my own Minecraft mod, and the first versioning number does not work that way. Although there is no 100% accepted way to version things, the first number should be 0 for beta/alpha, 1 for release, and then incremented whenever there is no compatibility between it and the previous version (such as Thaumcraft 3 -> Thaumcraft 4). It's too late for you to change the version to 0.x.x which is why I recommended to label is as an alpha or beta. The only reason this pack was on my list of possible packs to play was because the version number was above 1.0 and I thought it was completed.

Caithleen

Jul 29, 2019
1.08 is before a bigger update to the questbook. Updating will result in a questbook reset, so i would stay on 1.08 for now (or accept the reset if the current quests bother you too much). I think we will see the T4-T6 content beeing finalized in the next 1-2 weeks. Then you should readlly consider updating and probably we will see a hopefully last QB reset. :)

Slind

Mar 8, 2013
It sounds like you have a lot of game changing updates in the works. Would you recommend that I take a break until they are in place or keep playing on v.1.08?
It is how ftb is doing it. We thought it would be best to stick with it as there is only best practice which most pla

I'm a professional web developer and also have my own Minecraft mod, and the first versioning number does not work that way. Although there is no 100% accepted way to version things, the first number should be 0 for beta/alpha, 1 for release, and then incremented whenever there is no compatibility between it and the previous version (such as Thaumcraft 3 -> Thaumcraft 4). It's too late for you to change the version to 0.x.x which is why I recommended to label is as an alpha or beta. The only reason this pack was on my list of possible packs to play was because the version number was above 1.0 and I thought it was completed.

It is how ftb is doing it. As there are no norms we think it is best to stick to ftb's versioning as more players know it than any best practice on which every second software has a different one.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/modpack-versioning.45827/

Zyin

Jul 29, 2019
It is how ftb is doing it. As there are no norms we think it is best to stick to ftb's versioning as more players know it than any best practice on which every second software has a different one.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/modpack-versioning.45827/
Ok, it looks like they ended up using that system because the FTB software doesn't like having version numbers start with a 0. So this is the trickle down effect of having a poorly written versioning number handling in FTB. Their rag-tag method of labeling versions goes against all other versioning schemes, so I still advise you put 'beta' or 'alpha' somewhere in the description so people that DO know how version numbers actually work don't get misled.

pndragon65

Jul 29, 2019
but is there a easier way to get string then to just kill spiders?
I planted 2 trees close together then infested them with silkworms and separate from the other trees in my miniforest. Then when infested completely, I used the crook on only one of the trees, chopped down the remaining wood and planted a new tree in its place. Now I always have string available if I need it since the trees infest each other before I cut them down and I don't need anymore silkworms except as emergency food supply.

Slind

Mar 8, 2013
I planted 2 trees close together then infested them with silkworms and separate from the other trees in my miniforest. Then when infested completely, I used the crook on only one of the trees, chopped down the remaining wood and planted a new tree in its place. Now I always have string available if I need it since the trees infest each other before I cut them down and I don't need anymore silkworms except as emergency food supply.
man I wasted so many silkworms :D

Reactions: ChetwyndKid

ChetwyndKid

Jul 29, 2019
You sir, Deserve a medal for your smart thinking :p

Caithleen

Jul 29, 2019
You can even top this with shears ... just leave 1 infected block somewhere and add leaves when needed :D

Ignopotens

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,
Sorry for my english, i'm french ^^
The is my Lets Play Series on youtube of this Modpack, The fisrt episode is released ;)

Reactions: Caithleen

pndragon65

Jul 29, 2019
A question I keep meaning to ask but keep forgetting: Why is Modular Systems being removed? I know that almost everyone loves AE2 but I personally don't care for it since it got so complex. I liked it much better when it was essentially the same as Modular Systems is now. Complexity doesn't always equal better (as I've posted elsewhere in the ftb forums). A complex AND CONSISTENT story line that doesn't get forgotten somewhere in hqm (something that seems to happen all too frequently in quest packs) is a much better line to follow.

That said (and out of my system!) I have to say that I am really enjoying this pack. The group of fine YOUNG gentlemen and ladies that I usually play on the servers with are all much better and faster at working through the packs we use than I am. I tend to take my time and use only what I need to get through it. Which means when we use Galacticraft at all, I have a disturbing tendency to just be reaching the stage when I can build my first moon rocket just as they are getting tired of the pack. I then have to decide whether I want to play alone on the server or join them on the newest server to get opened. Since I started playing on the servers just so I wouldn't have to play alone all the time, it's really a no-brainer. I quit and move on. Nothing is lonelier than being the only person on a server.

Playing this pack, I finally get to play on the Moon and maybe get to the planets and a space station... some things that I've really wanted to do.

Thank you.

Reactions: DoomSquirter

pndragon65

Jul 29, 2019
What is the best way to get iron? I am having a really difficult time getting any iron or fe. RNG has never been my friend.

Caithleen

Jul 29, 2019
If you want you could rechisel the Tyrian blocks of your base. They have a chance to decompose for 16 FE. Also decompose the microscope ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.