Lets See Some Bases! Give Us a Tour!

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
http://imgur.com/a/ZkXDy
very WIP, looks a bit weird from the outside currently, but that's what I get for building the peripheral tower higher than any of the wall I've built thus far

EDIT: And A tropicraft tornado just passed very close by. Random debris now litters the outside of my walls. That is going to be a pain to clear up

Reactions: Ako_the_Builder

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
http://imgur.com/a/ZkXDy
very WIP, looks a bit weird from the outside currently, but that's what I get for building the peripheral tower higher than any of the wall I've built thus far

EDIT: And A tropicraft tornado just passed very close by. Random debris now litters the outside of my walls. That is going to be a pain to clear up

Tropicraft... Tornadoes... Since when?

Reactions: PeggleFrank

frederic

Jul 29, 2019
so... can anyone of you guys post a download of their awesome builds i would like to have a look and get some inspiration

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
Toot toot here comes some more of my big ol' build. Sorry about the wait, I had an opportunity pop up that I couldn't turn down, but I'm back in the States now.
Anyway, I've done a fair amount of work since the last pictures, so without further ado, Mansion Build 2: Mansion Harder!
Note: If machines are fading out, it's because of render distance issues, I promise that my texture work is not that crappy.

Here's the mansion as viewed from the outside, where there will eventually be some fancy front lawn stuff. You can see the first floor of the tower as well, centered over the atrium:
2nIwuyK.png

A nice long shot down the building, with the beginnings of my processing system in the foreground:
rc4VYGG.png

The current power system, MFR farms feed into a bioreactor, into a big honking boiler and then right into Power Converters because Railcraft engines are murderous FPS-wise:
Wvou1Go.png

The entrance, with my AE storage and a TE setup for the usual stuff, plus a butt-load of lasers because Autarchic Gates.
PuFd21e.png

Go up several flights of stairs to the base of the main tower (see the top photo), and you'll find the beginnings of my bee room. 6 alvearies per floor for a few floors. The main room pictured also contains a breeder step-up and the usual suite of bee genetics stuff because I'm an idiot and built in a wasteland biome:
pqSgoQH.png

That's all for now, expect more updates soon. In regards to the texture pack, I'm going to hold onto it for awhile longer because I've just now really turned my attention to gregtech and it's gonna take way longer than I'd like to spend on it. Stay tuned for more!

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I'mma copy this from my other thread, I hope you don't mind.

So if you haven't already seen it, this is what I used to live in.

xaILNtY.jpg

Now it looks a little more like this.

kbrZYCn.jpg

It's still very much a work in progress. There's four buildings, the main building which has the lab stuff, the tower for magical stuff and the greenhouse for bees. I'm still in the process of moving in and attempting to fill out the place which given the sheer amount of space is quite a challenge.

We're also planning on building a fourth structure and a courtyard in front of all the buildings.

Bottom Floor of the Lab is where most of the equipment and machines, such as the ME Networks, pulverizers, furnaces. Y'know, the necessities.
LpUA4p4.jpg
On the floor, or rather built into it, are three mob farms, much like the ones in the old house, one for wither skeletons, zombie pigmen and witches.
ONERdUm.png
Next floor up is... Sort of a trophy/tool room. Just wish the bibliocraft sprite bug didn't clip through the shelves. Ah well.
O5S3Ls9.jpg
Next floor up is more of our "Green Science" area where we focus on the cleaner sciences. Just recently we've made a windmill setup. Still very much in development, we're currently using a massively inefficient but cool looking system that takes a bluletric battery and exchanges it between batteryboxes, controlled by redpower computers.
WbmrBJK.png
We also recycle! you'd be surprised how much you can find in melons. We're up to our necks in wooden tools, tin cans and dust! Don't ask us how it works, that's why we have the lab.
UUj378I.png
Err... That's classified.
PYVlx4F.png
Moving on.

In the magic tower, bottom floor, we have rather colorful specimens from the alternate dimension. We're not sure what use they'll be, but we're looking.
WIB2AR6.jpg
Next floor up, we have another sort of trophy/tool room dedicaterd to more magical artifacts. We also house our more successful, but not particularly useful creations here.
I0gTSqD.jpg

ZSY5jgN.png
Next floor up is our dedicated thaumcraft research floor complete with an open air platform with it's own node. We collect spare essentia here. We're aware in proximity with the infuser it adds to your creation process, but we chose to be more aesthetic. Hey, I said it was for research, I didn't say we were particularly efficient at it! (Note: The texture pack I'm using has an error with the Magic Mirror. I intend to fix this eventually.)
eFvve3X.png

eQfB3jZ.png

lP3gyLK.png
Topmost floor is actually my living quarters.
8maRYWO.png

The Greenhouse was one of the more involved builds, despite it's relatively simple design. It houses 8 fully equipped Alvearies. Since we're in a Red Mountain biome, the temperature would normally be Hot and humidity Arid, however each of our alvearies are fitted with fans and hydroregulators to keep our bees nice and comfy. We have 8 different kinds of bees. Common, Cultivated, Noble, Majestic, Imperial, Diamond (Courtesy of one of our live-in members), Unweary and Industrious. Spare bees that are spat out the alveary are collected by golems and placed into processing to turn them into Liquid DNA
ndA90sT.jpg
Below the greenhouse is Lab "Bee" where every effort is made to maintain the alvearies uptop and process the outputs. This gives you an idea on just how much space we made for this building.
HGvPNPV.jpg
The facility is equipped with a few processing plants to handle output on mass, this massive mess of pipe spaghetti is how we process the combs they process. As you can see we've accumulated a fair bit, it's just up to the Bee Boys to decide upon where to go next. Very exciting to imagine, given what I've been told.
hRdRJ7e.png

gok1QeN.png
We've also dabbled in a bit of tree breeding, currently that's on hold.
BqRUpU6.png

After a long session of naming, we decided to name the place the Cottontail Castle Institute.
For now, that's it. I'll be reposting once the place has built up a bit more and it nears completion.

IF you're wondering, the texture pack I used is the Painterly patch.

Benjywa

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even know where to start - the scale is so impressive - epic even
whoever it is you are playing with between you there is a lot of hours, love and planning in it - grats
Its motivating me to get my new unleashed up to a level where I can think of building a monster

Questions
what is the thought process on set up? Build something massive and everything will fit? or more like you had a plan for how it would scale up?

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even know where to start - the scale is so impressive - epic even
whoever it is you are playing with between you there is a lot of hours, love and planning in it - grats
Its motivating me to get my new unleashed up to a level where I can think of building a monster

Questions
what is the thought process on set up? Build something massive and everything will fit? or more like you had a plan for how it would scale up?

I wish I could tell you that thought went into it initially, but that's not how I do. A lot of what you're seeing is improv'd, meaning I made it up as I went along.
The achillies heel of the project is that it's just. simply. MASSIVE. There's a lot of unused space in these builds, space that I'm trying desperately to fill.
I think another flaw is that I like to hide my wires and pipes as much as I can, however when you're not necessarily underground, that's a bit of a problem. The walls of my building are two blocks thick, this is mostly for detailing and such, I find this helps somewhat.

If you're going in to build something massive for yourself here's a few tips I've learned from building this.
  • IF you're going big, go big. Size is only as much of a problem as you want it to be.
  • Have basements. You'll think me for it when you're hiding your wires and pipes underground.
  • If you have an issue with space, try partitioning your big rooms into littler rooms. You can be more organized that way and it fills out your big rooms a little more.
  • Have a tape measure in hand.
  • Fillers are amaaaaaaazing.
  • I like being symmetrical. This is by no means something that must be done though. Be as creative as you like.
  • Try not to make it looked tacked on to the land, build into it.
And my favorite bit of advice.
  • When in doubt, think W.W.C.J.D.? (What would Cave Johnson do?)

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Try not to make it looked tacked on to the land, build into it.
This is something that I've never been good at. I always prefer to build on relatively flat areas, or to make my own flat area to build on.

Then again, I'm the kind of person who lives in 9x9s until I get to the point where I'm forced to choose between building a proper base or building so much infrastructure around my 9x9s that it becomes virtually impossible to move to another base.

Speaking of which, I appear to have relapsed back into my 9x9 addiction, despite the non-9x9 base I had way back near the beginning of this thread. I'm currently in the process of moving out of my current base (four 9x9s of course) into a new and hopefully much nicer home, but I've only just started building it so I won't post any pics just yet.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
This is something that I've never been good at. I always prefer to build on relatively flat areas, or to make my own flat area to build on.

Then again, I'm the kind of person who lives in 9x9s until I get to the point where I'm forced to choose between building a proper base or building so much infrastructure around my 9x9s that it becomes virtually impossible to move to another base.

Speaking of which, I appear to have relapsed back into my 9x9 addiction, despite the non-9x9 base I had way back near the beginning of this thread. I'm currently in the process of moving out of my current base (four 9x9s of course) into a new and hopefully much nicer home, but I've only just started building it so I won't post any pics just yet.
I prefer an entire chunk. Add a quarry at the border (one of the walls) of the damn thing and you have no need for a chunk loader.
Yeah, it is preety great.