Learn GregTech HQM Pack (In Progress) 1.6.4.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I am going to add Applied Energistics, Extra Cells, Hunger Overhaul and maybe chisel and carpentor's blocks but I will need some input on those.
What do you want to know? I've played enough with AE and Extra Cells that I might be able to answer a few questions, though I'm no modder and for knowledge of internal workings you'll have to go to the mod creators.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
What do you want to know? I've played enough with AE and Extra Cells that I might be able to answer a few questions, though I'm no modder and for knowledge of internal workings you'll have to go to the mod creators.
The mods in question or Carpenter's Blocks and chisel.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The mods in question or Carpenter's Blocks and chisel.
I meant, what *about* those mods do you want to know? If you need basic knowledge, the Applied Energistics wiki does a better job than I could do in a post. Extra Cells adds bigger storage modules and a fluid system. For more, I'd need specifics.

Generally, AE is more of a mid-to-late game mod with the kind of resources and power it requires. If GregTech makes it more difficult to generate power (which I don't know), AE will also arrive later. But I think finally being able to build an ME network will be very satisfying for players with GregTech, since much of the tediousness in crafting can be circumvented with the right setup.

(If you already know all this, consider why I asked what you want to know about those mods)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I dislike Hunger Overhaul. I find it very obtrusive and think it adds basically nothing of note to the game.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I dislike Hunger Overhaul. I find it very obtrusive and think it adds basically nothing of note to the game.
While I don't have much opinion for or against that statement, I think more critically, its going to add little of note to learning gregtech. I can't envision any scenario where food scarcity will encourage you to improve your GT tech (food's never THAT scarce...do people seriously actually starve in AS?)

Last edited:

Joe

Jul 29, 2019
On my first playthrough, I was down to 1 chicken nugget multiple times. This was befor HQM was implemented so I spent the first 8 hours of play trying to get apples to not starve. Then I found that getting string quickly for a fishing rod and supplimenting food with bait made things easier, but that was after playthroughs started to come out on youtube.

Reactions: Pyure

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to add Applied Energistics, Extra Cells, Hunger Overhaul and maybe chisel and carpentor's blocks but I will need some input on those.

Chisel and Carpenter's are for the "toads in toad hall" (*) types. The moles, the rats and the badgers (*) won't find too much use for those mods. Add bibliocraft to that combination, and it becomes a different mini game in architectureal aesthetics. And I am pretty sure they "can" complement GT in this case -- all that coloured granite from GT will look pretty grand on structures and ramps. With PFAA also adding its own stones, these two can be a good addition - provided you make it part of the HQM as incentive for the moles and the rats.... ;)

So, I am okay whether they remain or go away. :)

Hunger overhaul adds another dimension of challenge to survival play, but it would be distracting for the theme you've adopted here. Having one eye on the hunger bar constantly, and planning the next menu variety is going to get old pretty soon. And on top of it, if you start designing quests around it, pretty soon lynch mobs will start forming outside your cave :p

My view? Leave this one out of this pack if you can. :)

(*) If you did not get those references, I suggest getting a copy of "The Wind in the Willows". Mighty fine book, if I might add.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
While I don't have much opinion for or against that statement, I think more critically, its going to add little of note to learning gregtech. I can't envision any scenario where food scarcity will encourage you to improve your GT tech (food's never THAT scarce...do people seriously actually starve in AS?)

Agree with your first comment on hunger overhaul vis-a-vis GT. I have also requested that he shouldn't add it in this pack.

Your second question: I have died because of hunger in AgS and have been kicked out of our servers consequently. There is a chance that apples won't fall as often as you would like it to too, and if the oak itself is one of those humongous ones, you become net negative on hunger very quickly!

Last edited:
Reactions: CarbonBasedGhost

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Your second question: I have died because of hunger in AgS and have been kicked out of our servers consequently. There is a chance that apples won't fall as often as you would like it too, and if the oak itself is one of those humongous ones, you become net negative on hunger very quickly!
Good point; you can't fight a snippy RNG sometimes.
It was a silly and pointless comment on my part anyway.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I meant, what *about* those mods do you want to know? If you need basic knowledge, the Applied Energistics wiki does a better job than I could do in a post. Extra Cells adds bigger storage modules and a fluid system. For more, I'd need specifics.

Generally, AE is more of a mid-to-late game mod with the kind of resources and power it requires. If GregTech makes it more difficult to generate power (which I don't know), AE will also arrive later. But I think finally being able to build an ME network will be very satisfying for players with GregTech, since much of the tediousness in crafting can be circumvented with the right setup.

(If you already know all this, consider why I asked what you want to know about those mods)
I don't need to know about the mods, I know plenty of them. I just need to know if people want chisel or carpenter's blocks. I am a practical expert on all of them though.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't need to know about the mods, I know plenty of them. I just need to know if people want chisel or carpenter's blocks. I am a practical expert on all of them though.
Shrug, I vote no, again, because its a needless distraction from the stated goal of the pack. (And I suck at anything aesthetic)

But I'd play the pack regardless, so there you go.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Chisel and Carpenter's are for the "toads in toad hall" (*) types. The moles, the rats and the badgers (*) won't find too much use for those mods. Add bibliocraft to that combination, and it becomes a different mini game in architectureal aesthetics. And I am pretty sure they "can" complement GT in this case -- all that coloured granite from GT will look pretty grand on structures and ramps. With PFAA also adding its own stones, these two can be a good addition - provided you make it part of the HQM as incentive for the moles and the rats.... ;)

So, I am okay whether they remain or go away. :)

Hunger overhaul adds another dimension of challenge to survival play, but it would be distracting for the theme you've adopted here. Having one eye on the hunger bar constantly, and planning the next menu variety is going to get old pretty soon. And on top of it, if you start designing quests around it, pretty soon lynch mobs will start forming outside your cave :p

My view? Leave this one out of this pack if you can. :)

(*) If you did not get those references, I suggest getting a copy of "The Wind in the Willows". Mighty fine book, if I might add.
Ya, I think I will add chisel and carpenter's and take away overhual.[DOUBLEPOST=1404932103][/DOUBLEPOST]
Shrug, I vote no, again, because its a needless distraction from the stated goal of the pack. (And I suck at anything aesthetic)

But I'd play the pack regardless, so there you go.
The aesthetics are just for people who want them, they should not affect you. I am like you, I suck at asthetics.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Ya, I think I will add chisel and carpenter's and take away overhual.
I reccomend adding the other mod @AlCapella recommend end as well - Bibliocraft.

Mods I recommend:

AE - GTech is hard and at time tedious, this will certainly help ease the pain in the later stages of the game
Bibliocraft - It's all about the looks
Project-Red - Just disable Rubies and Sapphires and have all the benefits of RP2
Galacticraft - It'd be nice to have a nice end goal to the GTech tree, just remove all of the duplicate machines and easy power generation
Mekanism - Take it or leave it. TBH I think it may not be fitting with the theme, but with the rebalancing of the recipes it could really have a place in the pack.
TiC - Just to annoy all of those stuck-in-their-ways GTech players

These are my ideas (the last one is not quite serious). If you do add these mods I recommend rebalancing the recipes with MineTweaker and remove duplicate power generators and machines (just keep factories, I love those things).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Mekanism - Take it or leave it. TBH I think it may not be fitting with the theme, but with the rebalancing of the recipes it could really have a place in the pack.
My limited knowledge of Mekanism suggests that it will allow players to skim or skip parts of the traditional GT tiering. Judicious minetweaker use could mitigate the issues though, and you've already alluded to this.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I reccomend adding the other mod @AlCapella recommend end as well - Bibliocraft.

Mods I recommend:

AE - GTech is hard and at time tedious, this will certainly help ease the pain in the later stages of the game
Bibliocraft - It's all about the looks
Project-Red - Just disable Rubies and Sapphires and have all the benefits of RP2
Galacticraft - It'd be nice to have a nice end goal to the GTech tree, just remove all of the duplicate machines and easy power generation
TiC - Just to annoy all of those stuck-in-their-ways GTech players

These are my ideas (the last one is not quite serious). If you do add these mods I recommend rebalancing the recipes with MineTweaker and remove duplicate power generators and machines (just keep factories, I love those things).
AE - I am adding
BiblioCraft - I will add
Project Red - A little GT progressive line abusive EX. get abilities before you should
Galacticraft - I will add (It was on a Hardmode GT server I played on and was good)
Mekanism - @Pyure covered it
TiC - [stares in disappointment] :p

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
If someone is really trying to learn and trying to like GT, they don't need HO confusing things, especially early game. GT is not about food production, but about machines, ores, processing, power, etc.,.

My advice: leave the HO, take the GT
Oh gods. Long time since I've seen that scene, let alone heard a joke involving it. You get a Gold Star! And if you do the job right, I'll teach you my families pasta sauce recipes. One sauce per hit done to standards.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
AE - I am adding
BiblioCraft - I will add
Project Red - A little GT progressive line abusive EX. get abilities before you should
Galacticraft - I will add (It was on a Hardmode GT server I played on and was good)
Mekanism - @Pyure covered it
TiC - [stares in disappointment] :p
For P-R and Mekanism could be added if many blocks not only had their recipe changed, but removed. Serious MineTweaking would be require (especially with Mekanism). Any exploits could just be removed. TBH I think Mekanism could fit perfectly with just a recipe change. I would suggest the removal of duplicate items still.

I probably should have also suggested ExtraCells and ExtraTiC (one of those suggestions was serious).

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
For P-R and Mekanism could be added if many blocks not only had their recipe changed, but removed. Serious MineTweaking would be require (especially with Mekanism). Any exploits could just be removed. TBH I think Mekanism could fit perfectly with just a recipe change. I would suggest the removal of duplicate items still.

I probably should have also suggested ExtraCells and ExtraTiC (one of those suggestions was serious).
Extracells I already decided to implement. I played on it with a Hard-mode GT server with GregoriousT.