Learn Gregtech Hardcore Questing Mode Pack

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the idea of using HQM as a learning tool for mods, especially one as insanely complex as GT. I just wonder if having an extremely minimal amount of mods will eventually make the grind aspect overpower the learning aspect.

I cannot agree more, sir !

After playing Learning GT to the point of "more grind than I'm willing to tolerate" and now playing InfiTech, I think the HQM work @CarbonBasedGhost put into this mod in a mod-pack like InfiTech would work well. InfiTech is focused around GT and all other mods are balanced around GT, but it's a linear climb with several ways of getting power and resources. However, the non-GT power and resources don't overshadow GT. GT progression is still required.

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
Got quiet... anyone still making progress? I took a break from it for a bit but I'm curious to know what's going on.

ShadowXK

Jul 29, 2019
i wish their was more mod packs that teach you how to use them for new people joining the modded minecraft community

Wrulfy

Jul 29, 2019
Today I got two weird things. First I got a copper ore cluster at diamond level (I was at Y=11) and a never-ending coal cluster-vein. I can't prove still is infinite, but it is not normal to get 3 stacks of coal (Iron pickaxe isn't enchanted) and still going.

I'm playing with cluster ores instead of veins, with the default multiplier and the geologica formations Not overwritting vanilla formations.

both things happened under a ocean biome. Part of the never-ending coal vein is next to the floor of the ocean.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Today I got two weird things. First I got a copper ore cluster at diamond level (I was at Y=11) and a never-ending coal cluster-vein. I can't prove still is infinite, but it is not normal to get 3 stacks of coal (Iron pickaxe isn't enchanted) and still going.

I'm playing with cluster ores instead of veins, with the default multiplier and the geologica formations Not overwritting vanilla formations.

both things happened under a ocean biome. Part of the never-ending coal vein is next to the floor of the ocean.
PFAA is meant to be more realistic then your average copper ore genning mod. Also clusters make the ore hard to find but pay of well when you find it.

Wrulfy

Jul 29, 2019
I never though I would start using horses in a GT pack. but hey, they're really easy to use, only a bit difficult though forest, but I can actually use them with some saddles I get in the nether, and the Diamond horse armor can't be recycled yet.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so I took the time to read this whole thread and I have to agree with the thoughts that have come back up recently, too much grind for a learning pack. The mod list is not one that calls out to me to build a long running world and based on its name I installed this pack to do one thing, Learn GregTech.

So since this in Minecraft and I can alter the game to what I feel is the best for me, I have done so. My simple way of solving the problem is to go get a handful of what is needed for the next quest item, and after accomplishing that I use creative mode to grant me the reward which is the total number of the needed items. I can then officially complete the quest thanks to the manual detect button and move on down the line. This has me spending time finding the resources in where they should natively spawn but not spending days and days collecting the quantity that would be needed to build everything at that tier. I hope to complete all the quests in this pack in a matter of days not weeks so I can move on to playing something like InfiTech or the newly proposed packs a page back in this thread. Real life gets in the way so I might still be on this pack for any number or real life weeks (which I guess is also why I am opposed to the grind that this pack puts on a player).

Now I also want everyone to understand that I really like this pack, and prior to it I have skipped over GT based packs simply from the stigma that GT packs are hard and that Greg doesn't care what his players think. Also my sons are younger and they are not interested in this style of play, but they are well setup on their own DW20 world now so I thought I would start to look into what the "big kids" are doing and see if that is interesting to me.

TL;DR I think the pack is awesome in that it shows me what all is available at each GT tier, but I also feel it is too slow to be an effective learning pack for anything after the bronze age. My suggestions are to have the requirements be a tenth of what they are and the quest rewards be more than is needed to build everything for that tier so you still have some material to play around with. Especially once other GT packs go public, I envision this one being a creative world learning sandbox so when you play in your real modpack you will know what you need and how to use it.

Reactions: bestdoc

Wrulfy

Jul 29, 2019
I have a little problem. I'm at the batbox quest on the early electric era.
The book doesn't recognice my batbox. I tried to manually submit it fresh crafted, after picking up it empty with a wrench, with some EU in it, and full of EU. What I'm doing wrong?

YWEmpirer

Jul 29, 2019
I love this pack, I miss Gregtech since the old Mindcrack pack.
However I cannot find any tin(cassiterite) in the world while I can gather tons of copper, so I get stuck and cannot get into Bronze Age:(
I have try searching tin with creative mode too, still cannot find any single piece...
How can I solve it?

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I love this pack, I miss Gregtech since the old Mindcrack pack.
However I cannot find any tin(cassiterite) in the world while I can gather tons of copper, so I get stuck and cannot get into Bronze Age:(
I have try searching tin with creative mode too, still cannot find any single piece...
How can I solve it?
You can look for casserite sand in river banks. These are in every river. Also casserite ore yields tin. Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: YWEmpirer

YWEmpirer

Jul 29, 2019
You can look for casserite sand in river banks. These are in every river. Also casserite ore yields tin. Hope this helps! :)
I finally found casserite sand from river side, thanks very much;)
By the way, will this pack be upgraded to mc 1.7.2/1.7.10? I am looking forward to try Gregtech 5

mbbkraft

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, this way to learn greg look really good (since i'm deaf) but adding some reward to the quests would be helpfull. So my question is : there will be reward or the quests will be "gregy" too ?

Trailmix23

Jul 29, 2019
I have a little problem. I'm at the batbox quest on the early electric era.
The book doesn't recognice my batbox. I tried to manually submit it fresh crafted, after picking up it empty with a wrench, with some EU in it, and full of EU. What I'm doing wrong?

I am having the exact same problem I crafted the batbox, but it isn't recognized

Edit: I just cheated one in from creative and got rid of the one I crafted and it worked

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
For anyone who still watches this thread. Learn Gregtech 1.7.10. is in progress. This time around loot will be given to you and the path to Greggy supremacy will be significantly faster. A pre-made starter map will be in the pack (so you can skip the useless early game grind). Now me and @Queue, the makers of this pack, are moving on to HQM quests. Expect a pack thread soon!

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
What about a pre-made map where the player is initially given the coordinates of mines in several places? This would greatly speed up the progress, without taking much of the experience.

Reactions: CarbonBasedGhost

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
I have a plan for an "extra loot" system
Basically I want there to be quests... with normal loot (a shitton of loot this time to speed up the game), and an accompanying book with a riddle/puzzle. The player can solve the puzzle to get coords or hints to a lootchest or a special dungeon courtesy we make somewhere. What do yall think bout that?

Also, the plan is to not require mining per say, but find an ore vein (to understand the geology), grab one ore, then receive several stacks via HQM.