Learn Gregtech Hardcore Questing Mode Pack

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
You mean the stones like "Yellow limonite" and this? (sadly nothing I found yet, too :/)

And I'm not getting any rewards, since it's a "learn how to" I thought it's meant to be that way. (I think in 1.7.10 rewards are planned, if I read it right)

I found some mineral sands alongside water ... a few 'Basaltic' and a lot of 'Granitic'. They were mixed up with normal sand, gravel, coal and other stuff. I was actually only looking for gravel (for flint) at the time. Got smacked up by an enderman though, one life down. Swings and roundabouts!

Cool about no rewards - was just checking.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
I found some mineral sands alongside water ... a few 'Basaltic' and a lot of 'Granitic'. They were mixed up with normal sand, gravel, coal and other stuff. I was actually only looking for gravel (for flint) at the time. Got smacked up by an enderman though, one life down. Swings and roundabouts!

Cool about no rewards - was just checking.

Do you remember the biome you found these things?
Slowly wondering if with PFAA some biomes are better to look for stuff than others. I tried in "plains" so far.
(I really don't get this ore-gen/mineral'stone-gen and I'm slowly at the point of just giving up and hoping it's a bit easier in the 1.7.10 modpack then...)

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Do any of the quests involve rewards?
In 1.6.4. sadly, no. However in 1.7.10 there will be rewards and the pack will be accelerated so you just learn and not grind (a lot :p)

but in case it uses PFAA as well I have a question
The 1.7.10. version will not use PFAA since 1.7.10. gregtech uses a new revamped oregen that we feel is important to Gregtech.

Can anyone explain how the ore-gen works in this PFAA-mod? Or at least give me hints of where to find the starting metalls?
So when you start out you will want to know where to find iron and what has it. Option A: Go mining in riversides and find weird sand, I believe there are 4 different types of sand. One offers iron, on copper, one tin, and one is useful for later. Your second source of iron is huge banded iron veins. They should get you started. Once you

Do you remember the biome you found these things?
Slowly wondering if with PFAA some biomes are better to look for stuff than others. I tried in "plains" so far.
(I really don't get this ore-gen/mineral'stone-gen and I'm slowly at the point of just giving up and hoping it's a bit easier in the 1.7.10 modpack then...)
They should spaw in river biomes. The surrounding biomes don't matter.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks @CarbonBasedGhost for the pack. I've never touched gregtech so thanks for the inspiration.

In 1.6.4. sadly, no. However in 1.7.10 there will be rewards and the pack will be accelerated so you just learn and not grind (a lot :p)
No problem, getting the stuff yourself is better imho. I just wasn't sure the book was working correctly.

EDIT: Better for me, that is :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
You mean the stones like "Yellow limonite" and this? (sadly nothing I found yet, too :/)

And I'm not getting any rewards, since it's a "learn how to" I thought it's meant to be that way. (I think in 1.7.10 rewards are planned, if I read it right)
No rewards, those will be in the 1.7.10 version out soon(tm).

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
I've just started out today too. I looked at NEI for iron ingots, there's quite a few ways to get it. Turned out that while I was digging away for gravel I picked up a few of the right blocks. Let me know if you want me to name them.

PS Are you getting any rewards? I don't particularly care, but just want ot make sure the pack is working as expected.
I would wait for 1.7.10, rewards and new stuff in that version. 1.6.4 is abandoned as of now.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
January to February early 2015 is to vague, it can mean June

In the meantime, I'm just a little bit hooked on the 1.6.4 version. :rolleyes:

Only thing is, so far, I can't find any diamonds or iron ore (or limonite), having traipsed down a few caves and painfully carved out a small branch mine at diamond level. On the good side, I have found decent amounts of coal, quite a lot of gold and a bit of lapis, along with the various sands. Will keep calm and carry on!

Anyway, I'm just about to make some composite armour (to tank the creepers).

Again, @Queue and @CarbonBasedGhost, I want to say I really appreciate the work that goes into something like this, both the creation of the modpack itself and the included mods.

noogenesis

Jul 29, 2019
Author of PFAA here. Kind of bummed you guys are dropping the mod for the 1.7.10 rewrite, although I can understand wanting to keep things "pure" Gregtech. I have done a lot of work though since 1.6.4 to keep them well-integrated, and would be happy addressing any specific concerns about balance/progression.

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
In the meantime, I'm just a little bit hooked on the 1.6.4 version. :rolleyes:

Only thing is, so far, I can't find any diamonds or iron ore (or limonite), having traipsed down a few caves and painfully carved out a small branch mine at diamond level. On the good side, I have found decent amounts of coal, quite a lot of gold and a bit of lapis, along with the various sands. Will keep calm and carry on!

Anyway, I'm just about to make some composite armour (to tank the creepers).

Again, @Queue and @CarbonBasedGhost, I want to say I really appreciate the work that goes into something like this, both the creation of the modpack itself and the included mods.

First off, thanks :)

Second, 1.6.4 is still a bit incomplete and I've never done a full play through on it so I summon @CarbonBasedGhost :p
This said, I'm fairly certain PFAA 1.6.4 diamonds are around or under lava... http://pfaa.wikia.com/wiki/Per_Fabrica_Ad_Astra_Wiki @noogenesis is this wiki for purely 1.7.10?

Anyway, thanks for the support and hope you have fun! If you get stuck, it probably isn't you but the fault on our end, but we *should* be finished by then anyway with 1.7.10 for you to hop into.

Author of PFAA here. Kind of bummed you guys are dropping the mod for the 1.7.10 rewrite, although I can understand wanting to keep things "pure" Gregtech. I have done a lot of work though since 1.6.4 to keep them well-integrated, and would be happy addressing any specific concerns about balance/progression.

Don't worry, PFAA is not dead! IT SHALL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN ;)

Basically, we wanted to keep the Learn Gregtech Pack very lightweight. As of right now there are 16 mods, and that should go to even less by release time (as of right now there are only 4 mods that actually add content, including GT and IC2). There was debate about mods like Forestry and such, and we decided to pretty much keep it to Gregtech, plain and simple. Even mods with Gregtech comparability will probably not be used, most of our mods are pack making tools and client side utilities, anyway. The decision to drop PFAA was made due mostly to the new GT oregen, and just how much different it is compared to prior oregen. This said, I (and a lot of other people too) still love your mod, and it will be part of the oregen choices in the upcoming Gregtech packs. Writing this has also given me the idea on making a secondary, mini pack for the Learn Gregtech pack, but with your Oregen and quests related to that.

Essentially, we love your mod, and will use it in other packs, but Learn Gregtech is going to be 100% GT (for now).

So getting a bit dispirited trying to find a diamond for the sturdy grinder. Any tips?

See above, check the wiki and/or with noogenesis. I am fairly certain they are around or under lava.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, 128 empty cells. Seems that it's going to cost 256 tin ingots => bender => 256 tin plates => bender => 128 cells.

Two things... first, what difference is there using an integrated circuit in the bender? I've put one in but haven't noticed anything.

Second, how do I stop the bender making dense plates when there is 9 or more plates in the input slot? Or do I have to babysit the machine (ie am I learning gt again)?

Edit: Hope everyone had a good Christmas!

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
@SolManX Integrated Circuits (ICs) are used in the bender to adjust the allowed stack size for plates. You can craft (see NEI) the IC to configure it to a certain number of plates and then place it in the bender where it acts like a filter. For example, if you set it to 9 the bender will wait until 9 ingots are ready and then craft one dense plate 9 ingots at a time. Basically the IC solves your dense plates issue.

Merry Christmas to you too :)

also, speaking of GT, @CarbonBasedGhost I broke things and now I cannot launch any MC packs except vanilla... so the learn GT pack may take more time than we thought until I fix that.

Reactions: null123 and Pyure

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
@SolManX Integrated Circuits (ICs) are used in the bender to adjust the allowed stack size for plates. You can craft (see NEI) the IC to configure it to a certain number of plates and then place it in the bender where it acts like a filter. For example, if you set it to 9 the bender will wait until 9 ingots are ready and then craft one dense plate 9 ingots at a time. Basically the IC solves your dense plates issue.

Merry Christmas to you too :)

also, speaking of GT, @CarbonBasedGhost I broke things and now I cannot launch any MC packs except vanilla... so the learn GT pack may take more time than we thought until I fix that.
check, permgen, ram, and java version (can't be 8)

Reactions: null123