Learn Gregtech Hardcore Questing Mode Pack

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
He has everything... and it is conveniently not documented on his wiki! And before this HQM came along, this was one of the big problem of using his mod. Most GT users/players somehow become condescending in how they intereact with GT newcomers.

Also, as you are GT's PR guy, I just want to tell you this: Can I have a simple way to access all of his manuals? It's bit of a stroll [sic], having to hack through dungeons to find his in-game manuals. He should have a simple recipe to craft all his manuals too, and probably a fuller, nicer documentation page. :)
The wiki. Just read the wiki. Anything else, just ask. You have an IC2 forum account? Use it as a Q n A, people are willing to help, that's part of the community behind GT. He makes things complex for fun, to add challenge and keep you on your feet, something the forum eases. I was talking to Greg about his UI design, and he said that they are complex to add barrier to entry

Reactions: Pyure

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
LOL. This *is* the most constructive GT-related thread I've ever been involved with on these forums.
Haha this thread/project is why I rejoined the FTB forum discussion. I had gotten so pissed with the morons talking about shit they didn't know about and just left. I'm glad I came back :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Seriously, would it have an impact? I'm curious myself. I don't have any intention of doing the same at this time but I'm sure we'd love to know what the implications are :)

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously, would it have an impact? I'm curious myself. I don't have any intention of doing the same at this time but I'm sure we'd love to know what the implications are :)
It would rework all oregen, but oreDict should make it fine processing wise. Just need to make sure normal oregen is renabled

Reactions: AlCapella and Pyure

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
The wiki. Just read the wiki. Anything else, just ask. You have an IC2 forum account? Use it as a Q n A, people are willing to help, that's part of the community behind GT. He makes things complex for fun, to add challenge and keep you on your feet, something the forum eases. I was talking to Greg about his UI design, and he said that they are complex to add barrier to entry

Let me answer fairly seriously to these points:

The wiki does not have a tesseract entry, and is similarly missing a few others or is not clear on other topics (crops?). so, no the wiki needs to be updated. Specially with GT5 changes (seemingly) throwing all accumulated knowledge until GT4 out of the window.

I am not interested in the hassle of maintaining several forum accounts, and by what I read from internet search results and from newbie friends who get trolled for asking questions, the IC2 forums need to go some way in cultivating user-friendliness. Like how you were annoyed at all the greg-trolling nonsense here on FTB, from people that don't play gregtech, the forum answers I get on internet searches for IC2 questions don't make me feel like joining the IC2 forums in the first place. Sad, but true. I have used the IC2 IRC in the past for some questions and I haven't gone back since (same reason, no help, only trolling). If it is any consolation, the TiCo chat room is just as bad in its helpfulness in answering questions. :-/

I definitely sense elitism among GT players. I mentioned it a page earlier, only worded it sympathetically.
And before this HQM came along, this was one of the big problem of using his mod. Most GT users/players somehow become condescending in how they intereact with GT newcomers.
My own personal thoughts would be, that's not how you make new friends.

I get the challenge part of GT, and I also fully get the added complexity part of GT. I don't get all the rest of the aggro, the shaming and "go figure it out by yourself and prove yourself worthy of this hallowed hall" attitude that radiates more often than not. If someone is showing willingness to learn, belittling them and trolling them is definitely not helping the larger cause. Also, the boot camp approach is not for everyone. Before we get too off topic on this, I want to finish by saying this:

But all said, I think the build-up, execution, and final delivery of this HQM pack has done marvels for Gregtech's future uptake by all those who have been ignorant, waylaid or otherwise misinformed of his mod's capabilities. (*)

(*)Even includes GT players like me who still struggle with the tiering and the consequent progression

Reactions: MigukNamja

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I am not interested in the hassle of maintaining several forum accounts, and by what I read from internet search results and from newbie friends who get trolled for asking questions, the IC2 forums need to go some way in cultivating user-friendliness. Like how you were annoyed at all the greg-trolling nonsense here on FTB, from people that don't play gregtech, the forum answers I get on internet searches for IC2 questions don't make me feel like joining the IC2 forums in the first place. Sad, but true. I have used the IC2 IRC in the past for some questions and I haven't gone back since (same reason, no help, only trolling). If it is any consolation, the TiCo chat room is just as bad in its helpfulness in answering questions. :-/
Agreed all around. I almost joined the community there a few weeks ago, read the last few pages of the main thread, and realized something: greg had a depressing habit of calling people stupid or threatening to ban them, for simple questions.

Apparently, the FAQ is "required reading", notwithstanding that this is only posted prominently on the first page, and casual visitors to the thread will never, ever visit the first page if they got there via googling.

Also, if you ask a question which ultimately belongs and gets added to the FAQ, your question...and, by association, you...are still stupid.

Nothx.

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
Let me answer fairly seriously to these points:

The wiki does not have a tesseract entry, and is similarly missing a few others or is not clear on other topics (crops?). so, no the wiki needs to be updated. Specially with GT5 changes (seemingly) throwing all accumulated knowledge until GT4 out of the window.

I definitely sense elitism among GT players. I mentioned it a page earlier, only worded it sympathetically.

My own personal thoughts would be, that's not how you make new friends.

I get the challenge part of GT, and I also fully get the added complexity part of GT. I don't get all the rest of the aggro, the shaming and "go figure it out by yourself and prove yourself worthy of this hallowed hall" attitude that radiates more often than not. If someone is showing willingness to learn, belittling them and trolling them is definitely not helping the larger cause. Also, the boot camp approach is not for everyone. Before we get too off topic on this, I want to finish by saying this:

(*)Even includes GT players like me who still struggle with the tiering and the consequent progression

I sense a bit of elitism with a few players, people who love being dicks to newcomers, but those people are few and far between, and mostly very nice people- once you get to know them.

As for forum accounts, I don't see an issue, I mean who is going to hack into the IC2 forum, by design it doesn't make money or collect important data... I hate the IC2 forum design wise, but content wise it is great. There was a period around the MDiyo sillyness (which sadly people still talk bullshit about here) where a lot of people got defensive for stupid reasons on the IC2 forum. Generally, now it is a nice community, just read the last pages.

I also understand the issue with the user unfriendlyness. As a designer it pisses me off, but is something that the wiki team is working hard to fix. Honestly, I think they can do it, they just need time. Resource packs (pyro's) help too, making things more clear.

EDIT: @Pyure I disagree. Greg for the longest time was a huge dick about the FAQ, but for the most part people don't care anymore and answer your questions. As for greg's coldness, I honestly believe it is the fact that he is German and prefers to converse very tersely in english on the forum. He does call people stupid, but only people who are trolls or his own friends, all of whom understand he isn't being mean. The FAQ, btw, is only there because of idiots posting WAILA crash logs and stupid shit like that. People demanding stupid shit.

Reactions: AlCapella and Pyure

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
Example:

quoteS.png
Quoted from "SpwnX"

@Greg : I propose one solution to the Stainless Steel being unobtainable :
Water bucket/ Water cell + Blast furnace (both eletric and bronze) = Salt Mix (Li,Na,Mg,Mn)Cl4
Salt Mix + Electrolyzer = Lithium, Sodium, Magnesium, Manganese.

quoteS.png
Quoted from "GregoriusT"
Seriosuly, cant you just let me fix the fucking Bug? There is just one Item ACCIDENTIALLY requiring stainless Steel, and that was the grinding Head.

We find this shit hillarious.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
EDIT: @Pyure I disagree. Greg for the longest time was a huge dick about the FAQ, but for the most part people don't care anymore and answer your questions. As for greg's coldness, I honestly believe it is the fact that he is German and prefers to converse very tersely in english on the forum. He does call people stupid, but only people who are trolls or his own friends, all of whom understand he isn't being mean. The FAQ, btw, is only there because of idiots posting WAILA crash logs and stupid shit like that. People demanding stupid shit.

Maybe I caught him on a bad couple of days? I saw new players get flamed off the forum for asking half-intelligent questions, and it really dissuaded me from getting involved.

The FAQ issue could be mitigated by posting it as a sticky of sorts on every page. Dunno if anything like that is possible.

PS: Flaming ones friends is highly commendable and good so long as he can take what he dishes out :) :)[DOUBLEPOST=1406143573][/DOUBLEPOST]Off-topic: @SpwnX, every time I see your name, I hear "Spanks".

I assume that is not deliberate, but it tickles my sense of humor :p

Reactions: Queue

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
Greg has his reasons to make people read the FAQ, mainly having the exact same question being answered over and over (like 10-15 times, after that he puts it on FAQ so people stop with that). Not to mention his first words of the OP are to read the faq to avoid these issues.

Dispite that, I've always answered any questions that I possibly could.

Dropping by GT tesseract info:

GT tesseract are a bit fancy, as they extend the inventory they're attached to (tesseract generator's back facing the block you want to "tesseract").

For a fully functional tesseract you need three blocks: the inventory you want to extend, the tesseract generator and the tesseract terminal.

The tesseract generator is the main block, power consuming one. You set its frequency so it can connect to a tesseract terminal.

The tesseract terminal is the secondary block which frequency must be adjusted to match the generator. Every terminal linked to the generator will make the generator consume 8 (32 if interdimensional) EU/t.

Any automation (item/fluid in/output) on the tesseract generator and/or the tesseract terminal will be "applied" to the block you're extending.

For example a quantum chest extended by one generator and terminal. If you insert fluids on the terminal, it will be sent to the quantum tank.
Also, if you use a pump cover (export) on the terminal, the quantum tank will be drained.

@Pyure my nickname comes from "Spawn" , at the times of counter strike 1.6 , very old stuff.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Dropping by GT tesseract info:

GT tesseract are a bit fancy, as they extend the inventory they're attached to (tesseract generator's back facing the block you want to "tesseract").

For a fully functional tesseract you need three blocks: the inventory you want to extend, the tesseract generator and the tesseract terminal.

The tesseract generator is the main block, power consuming one. You set its frequency so it can connect to a tesseract terminal.

The tesseract terminal is the secondary block which frequency must be adjusted to match the generator. Every terminal linked to the generator will make the generator consume 8 (32 if interdimensional) EU/t.

Any automation (item/fluid in/output) on the tesseract generator and/or the tesseract terminal will be "applied" to the block you're extending.

For example a quantum chest extended by one generator and terminal. If you insert fluids on the terminal, it will be sent to the quantum tank.
Also, if you use a pump cover (import) on the terminal, the quantum tank will be drained.

@Pyure my nickname comes from "Spawn" , at the times of counter strike 1.6 , very old stuff.
This is great info.

Just for my clarification (small words for my feeble brain)...using a classic BC example of real use:

I could have a quarry automatically output into a chest. I'd place a tesseract generator (properly faced) against that chest, making it into a sort of ender-chest.

I'd then have a tesseract terminal back at my home base from which I could pull the quarry-chest inventory contents (somehow?)?

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
It is better to have the quarry connected to the terminal (so the mined items are sent to a chest at home, also the generator is the power consuming block)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
If I understand correctly, tesseract generator at base connected to power and then a tesseract terminal at each location I wish to connect, such as 1 at the IC2 miner or BC quarry, and 1 at the destination for the IC2 miner or quarry output, right ?

Can a single generator handle more than 1 frequency, or do I need a tesseract generator for each frequency ? I'm assuming the latter.[DOUBLEPOST=1406152799][/DOUBLEPOST]@AlCapella Well put, sir. I am liking GT the mod and I admire the complexity and thought put into it. I had just never tried it before for the reasons you mentioned. Thanks to this modpack by @CarbonBasedGhost , I am now better off for it and my opinion overall of GT has softened.

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
The generator can handle more than one terminal, not the opposite. you will need one generator per frequency. Terminals at miner/quarry, generator at chest on base.