Learn Gregtech Hardcore Questing Mode Pack

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
Not silly at all. However, I'm not sure I would want to wait until one kills the Enderdragon before making these viable, so one may have to disable Ender Pearl maintenance via the configs:

"Anchors also have a maintenance fee (this can be disabled via the config files if you wish)"[DOUBLEPOST=1406127107][/DOUBLEPOST]

This indeed may be the more elegant solution. I noticed @CarbonBasedGhost has a placeholder chapter in HQM for crops.
Disable ender pearls? They are cheap as it is... Why would you want to remove the only balancing mechanic it has?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Advanced miner is like Jesus. It is a better BC quarry with a blacklist and whitelist. No chunkloading, but again it is for balance and providing an incentive to use crops alongside mining ops to gain resources.
You've had success with it? I'll be honest I tried working with it a few months ago and gave up.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Disable ender pearls? They are cheap as it is... Why would you want to remove the only balancing mechanic it has?

I'm sort of with you, but I'm somewhat in the camp of "unloading of chunks is a compromise for performance reasons only", rather than an intentional (desired) mechanic. Other than aesthetics, should there really a big difference between auto-mining 16 chunks away from my base vs. 17+ chunks away ?

Better example : if my client is slow and I set view distance to "short", should I also be punished by having parts of my base unloaded ?

I don't mind slow progression at all. Indeed, I try to slow my progression down as much as possible to enjoy the journey and extend my worlds. So, that part of GT I'm totally digging. The part I've never been excited about is babysitting. But, that's a personal preference.

But, I'm probably getting off tangent here with a philosophical question on chunkloading that really doesn't (shouldn't) have an impact on this excellent modpack :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
...but I'm somewhat in the camp of "unloading of chunks is a compromise for performance reasons only", rather than an intentional (desired) mechanic.

I don't think I've ever seen this worded so well.

I couldn't agree more. I have to think that in a perfect world, where Mojang could do whatever they wanted, there wouldn't be such a thing as chunkloading. Everything would persist all of the time. So attaching a cost to a chunkloader is, at best, a questionably-useful server balancing tool.

Reactions: Queue

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think I've ever seen this worded so well.

I couldn't agree more. I have to think that in a perfect world, where Mojang could do whatever they wanted, there wouldn't be such a thing as chunkloading. Everything would persist all of the time. So attaching a cost to a chunkloader is, at best, a questionably-useful server balancing tool.

Thanks, Pyure :)

But, like I said, "somewhat in the camp of ...", namely because nether lava pumping and remote quarry operations can easily become OP, immersion-breaking, or server-crippling if/when abused.

Chunk unloading is a hack. Therefore, chunk loaders are a hack on a hack. Warping is also somewhat of a hack/shortcut that is sort of related to chunk unloading. In the "real world", we don't warp. We have to transport. But, building a huge rail network in MC - while cool and all - is either impractical, server-unfriendly, or buggy (lost carts) due to entities loading before chunks. Many have done it, yes, but mostly in SP worlds or on servers where RC is a core focus.

So, crippling chunkloaders, while hack-ish, is understandable. It's a compromise that I can understand why some agree with and others disagree with. Not an simple topic, chunkloading is.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thanks, Pyure :)

But, like I said, "somewhat in the camp of ...", namely because nether lava pumping and remote quarry operations can easily become OP, immersion-breaking, or server-crippling if/when abused.

Chunk unloading is a hack. Therefore, chunk loaders are a hack on a hack. Warping is also somewhat of a hack/shortcut that is sort of related to chunk unloading. In the "real world", we don't warp. We have to transport. But, building a huge rail network in MC - while cool and all - is either impractical, server-unfriendly, or buggy (lost carts) due to entities loading before chunks. Many have done it, yes, but mostly in SP worlds or on servers where RC is a core focus.

So, crippling chunkloaders, while hack-ish, is understandable. It's a compromise that I can understand why some agree with and others disagree with. Not an simple topic, chunkloading is.

Chunkloading facilitates balance issues but isn't the root issue. Again, if we didn't have chunkloading at all, those problems would still persist.

Balance issues should ideally be addressed in other ways other than forcing the areas to disappear. For instance, lava balance ideas: It shouldn't be able to be stored without cooling off and quickly becoming rock. It should flow more slowly through any pipe, requiring lots more infrastructure. It should damage generator components (requiring maintenance/replacement). And those generators should be large, unwieldy multiblocks, instead of tiny, space-efficient ones.

I tend to consider balance problems from real life. And there's plenty of good reasons we don't all use lava for power generation :)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Chunkloading facilitates balance issues but isn't the root issue. Again, if we didn't have chunkloading at all, those problems would still persist.

Balance issues should ideally be addressed in other ways other than forcing the areas to disappear. For instance, lava balance ideas: It shouldn't be able to be stored without cooling off and quickly becoming rock. It should flow more slowly through any pipe, requiring lots more infrastructure. It should damage generator components (requiring maintenance/replacement). And those generators should be large, unwieldy multiblocks, instead of tiny, space-efficient ones.

I tend to consider balance problems from real life. And there's plenty of good reasons we don't all use lava for power generation :)

Agree entirely ! And to think, lava as power-gen started with vanilla allowing buckets of lava in a furnace. But, that was pretty whack from get-go. I'm pretty sure any metal bucket would melt and even if one had a super-high-temp ceramic-type bucket that didn't melt, the heat of the molten lava would melt or set on fire the person holding it.

A more *realistic* and still practical use of lava in MC would be turning water to *steam* and then transporting the *steam* via pipes. If said lava was being cooled via water, it would (should) slowly turn to obsidian. However, since vanilla MC never had steam, we get the lava hack.

On that note, I *am* looking forward to progressing to the electrical machines and building an RC boiler with an RC Steam Generator.

I also noticed this mod-pack did not disable the rolling machine. One *could* bypass the 2-for-1 iron ingot to iron plate mechanic (very) early-game, well before the bronze age even gets started, but that would be shortcutting the experience of GT. InfiTech, for instance, disables the rolling machine entirely. But, not a big deal. Iron is in relative abundance.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I also noticed this mod-pack did not disable the rolling machine. One *could* bypass the 2-for-1 iron ingot to iron plate mechanic (very) early-game, well before the bronze age even gets started, but that would be shortcutting the experience of GT. InfiTech, for instance, disables the rolling machine entirely. But, not a big deal. Iron is in relative abundance.
I could swear I recommended disabling it explicitly in the first couple pages, hrm. Are you sure the recipe actually functions? (Occassionally I'll see a recipe that looks absolutely perfect in NEI but produces no output)

Its not a game-breaker but it is a bit of a tier-breaker unless it specifically requires electrical-tier tech. People should feel an incentive to use the Bronze Age forge-hammer at some point (small benefits: no hammer usage, and no tool-recipe inclusion)

Tiers if anyone cares: http://gregtechcommunitywiki.wikispaces.com/GregTech+Machinery+Tiers

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
<snippity snippy snipppato snip>

Wow... This little pow wow b/w you and @Pyure is just fantastic! Keep going, mateys... You're on song, you're on fire, just keep on flying higher... dum dee daa...

Well said, Fred. Just don't know what part to admire... I liked them all, as evidenced by my trigger-happy liking. :)

Just let's say, I agree with everything, you both.

:)

Reactions: MigukNamja

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
SpwnX, aren't you like some sort of GT goodwill liaison and creative brainstorm contributor?

I dunno, I thought I saw your name on the GT forum the other day looking pretty important :p

Even present MC 1.6x GT has some sort of tesseract, but I have no idea how they work. Or what GT version that is.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
This is just such a happy thread :)
GT fixes everything!

Indeed. I have my atmost (grudging) respect for the guy, for the thoroughness in thought process he demonstrated, for thinking through the whole thing, and coming up with working code for it, and making it just an add-on.

I say grudging, because I cannot think of him and not also think of the other sore note: the way the fallout of his personal spat ended up marring his overall image within the community :( That, and his April fool's day troll face on his already p*#$@ ugly textures... :)

Not stirring anything from the past, just a soliloquy from me :(

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Indeed. I have my atmost (grudging) respect for the guy, for the thoroughness in thought process he demonstrated, for thinking through the whole thing, and coming up with working code for it, and making it just an add-on.

I say grudging, because I cannot think of him and not also think of the other sore note: the way the fallout of his personal spat ended up marring his overall image within the community :( That, and his April fool's day troll face on his already p*#$@ ugly textures... :)

Not stirring anything form the past, just a soliloquy from me :(
Well that and he's just a bit of a such-and-such.

He still gets away with flaming people on his thread, calling them stupid, etc. :p

I figure I can just appreciate his mod and refuse to interact with him :)

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I recall GT4 having tesseracts... (they're a bit complex and power hungry though)

He has everything... and it is conveniently not documented on his wiki! And before this HQM came along, this was one of the big problem of using his mod. Most GT users/players somehow become condescending in how they intereact with GT newcomers.

Also, as you are GT's PR guy, I just want to tell you this: Can I have a simple way to access all of his manuals? It's bit of a stroll [sic], having to hack through dungeons to find his in-game manuals. He should have a simple recipe to craft all his manuals too, and probably a fuller, nicer documentation page. :)

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
He has everything... and it is conveniently not documented on his wiki! And before this HQM came along, this was one of the big problem of using his mod. Most GT users/players somehow become condescending in how they intereact with GT newcomers.

Also, as you are GT's PR guy, I just want to tell you this: Can I have a simple way to access all of his manuals? It's bit of a stroll [sic], having to hack through dungeons to find his in-game manuals. He should have a simple recipe to craft all his manuals too, and probably a fuller, nicer documentation page. :)
Unfortunately his manuals are a bit outdated and contain irrelevant information. He may have fixed this in GT4 though.

Reactions: AlCapella and Pyure

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
SpwnX, aren't you like some sort of GT goodwill liaison and creative brainstorm contributor?

I dunno, I thought I saw your name on the GT forum the other day looking pretty important :p

Even present MC 1.6x GT has some sort of tesseract, but I have no idea how they work. Or what GT version that is.
Hehe he has been there for a long time. Spwn is Jesus II, behind the advanced miner. From lurking for years, there are few people who can attest to that

Reactions: Pyure

Queue

Jul 29, 2019

Not stirring anything from the past, just a soliloquy from me :(
Greg is awesome because he doesn't give a shit. He says fuck you to people trying to make him conform (except Overmind DL ) and just does his thing.