Learn Gregtech Hardcore Questing Mode Pack

noogenesis

Jul 29, 2019
Note that there are currently two versions of marble and limestone, Geologica and Chisel. This could be confusing to people. I submitted a github PR to Delta's Chisel fork to add Chisel compatibility for Geologica marble and limestone. Even without that though, you might consider disabling the Chisel stone generation. Thanks for the stone tool fix.

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
Chisel marble should be left on as it is a very good looking chiselable block. Now limestone (in my opinion) should be disabled.

noogenesis

Jul 29, 2019
I was surprised by some of the starting quests. The farming quests seem a bit unnecessary and inefficient. 64 fences before the saw means a lot of chopping. In terms of starting tools, the player should aim for flint tools ASAP; there's no reason to make any stone tools, or a wood pickaxe, just a wood shovel for the gravel.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I was surprised by some of the starting quests. The farming quests seem a bit unnecessary and inefficient. 64 fences before the saw means a lot of chopping. In terms of starting tools, the player should aim for flint tools ASAP; there's no reason to make any stone tools, or a wood pickaxe, just a wood shovel for the gravel.

A quest is a quest is a quest.... The fence in conjunction with the lasso made sense to me. Get your food issues out of the way early, and focus on the grind. And yes, flint is what I rolled with, as soon as I saw my first gravel deposit. Astute players should also look for "recipes" for flint. :)

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like there's issues with Geologica... tried to place a Schist Brick Slab and the world crashed. Had to MCEdit the block out to get things to load again. Decorate with full blocks for now!

Reactions: AlCapella

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The Quests for the Wrench and the Water tank seem to be broken.

They seem to have no way to complete.

I noticed that this weekend. The wrench quest is blank. I tried the following, in order:
  1. Made an iron wrench
  2. NET Cheated in all the wrenches
Neither worked. I had to /hqm in myself a quest "cheat" book to complete the wrench quest. I need 1 more slimeball for the water tank quest, but I suspect it will be the same. I'll have to cheat the quest using the "cheat" quest book.

The bottom-most (last) quest in the 1st chapter is also slightly buggy. When I had 192 copper and 64 tin dusts, but not yet combined into bronze dusts, the quest completed. It should only complete when one has the required number of bronze dusts. Minor bug, since the very 1st quest in Chapter 2 is to make bronze ingots.

Also, in Chapter 1, the copper says '172', but since you need 64 tin and ratio of 3:1 copper:tin, wouldn't it make more sense to require 192 copper ?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Great mod-pack, @CarbonBasedGhost :)

I played many, many hours this weekend. I probably spent most of that time just learning the ores and how PFAA world-gen worked.

*edited : removed the spoilers about iron, tin, and copper*

I also added some more mods to make it a more "complete" Minecraft experience, including:
  • Antique Atlas
  • Inventory Tweaks
  • Iron Chests
  • JABBA
  • Waila
  • Waila Harvestability
GT purists may consider some of those "cheaty", but this is a learning modpack.

And, I made a server version of it so me and my daughter can play. Man, she was pissed when she couldn't make an iron pickaxe (vanilla recipe) and iron armor ! I had to explain this was a *ahem* "different" kind of mod-pack :)

I finished Chapter 1 and am not that far into Chapter 2 : The Bronze Age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mevansuto

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I also added some more mods to make it a more "complete" Minecraft experience, including:
  • Antique Atlas
  • Inventory Tweaks
  • Iron Chests
  • JABBA
  • Waila
  • Waila Harvestability
The only stuff I question is jabba and iron chests (and trust me I'm addicted to both). The recipes should be mine-tweaked if you want to preserve the GT flow. In the InfiTech pack I've been playing, for instance, Iron Chests require iron plating instead of iron ingots. I forget what jabba barrels require (nerfed in last update) but they were pretty damn expensive :p

The rest aren't content-offending at all :)

Reactions: MigukNamja

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019

@MigukNamja Fantastic feedback... But it's all so "spoilerish" for the rest of us that are new to PFAA, and who had to abandon their play through in the weekend for reasons. :(

General appeal to all posters. No more spoilers. Please. Pretty please. With sugar and milk.
Thank you - sd/- Mr. Wolf (that one that doesn't solve problems)
[DOUBLEPOST=1405949584][/DOUBLEPOST]FWIW, I added
WAILA + Harvestability,
Inv Tweaks and Mouse tweaks
Minimap

Still considering if I will add Tinker's to make me an uber pick and troll/piss everyone right off. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MigukNamja

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
@CarbonBasedGhost
Seriously, WAILA is a must.. Otherwise there is no way I am able to tell what is what, in that world gen. WAILA+Harvestability actually tells me what constituents the ore has... there's (Zinc) (Lead) and so on in brackets when I looked at ores with WAILA and harvestability added.

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
  • Antique Atlas
  • Inventory Tweaks
  • Iron Chests
  • JABBA
  • Waila
  • Waila Harvestability
Funny thing, I added in JABBA, Waila, and ZansMap for pretty much the same reasons. I may add in InvTweaks and IronChests now that you mention it. GregTech without some sort of basic storage upgrade would be daunting, and with all the extra worldgen stone types it's starting to get crowded. But then again, I can see why you'd want to show GregTech this way in a learning environment, the PitA before the tech tree really kicks in.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The only stuff I question is jabba and iron chests (and trust me I'm addicted to both). The recipes should be mine-tweaked if you want to preserve the GT flow. In the InfiTech pack I've been playing, for instance, Iron Chests require iron plating instead of iron ingots. I forget what jabba barrels require (nerfed in last update) but they were pretty damn expensive :p

The rest aren't content-offending at all :)

Oh, no problems if the Iron chests were done GT-style with more expensive iron plates. I just find a base full of double-chests to be ugly and annoying.

Edit : I'll download InfiTech and copy/swipe/steal its MineTweaker setup so my chests and barrels are done "proper" GT-style.

[DOUBLEPOST=1405950304][/DOUBLEPOST]
@MigukNamja Fantastic feedback... But it's all so "spoilerish" for the rest of us that are new to PFAA, and who had to abandon their play through in the weekend for reasons. :(

Oops ! I should have read closer. I just now edited my post and removed the spoiler bits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure and AlCapella

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, no problems if the Iron chests were done GT-style with more expensive iron plates. I just find a base full of double-chests to be ugly and annoying.[DOUBLEPOST=1405950304][/DOUBLEPOST]

Oops ! I should have read closer. I just now edited my post and removed the spoiler bits.

^^ Komawo! :)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
^^ oppan GT-style? ;)

Okay, I'll see myself out now.
party-rock-minecraft-o.gif

Reactions: Pyure and AlCapella