Is energy from lava appropriate?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

How do you feel about current methods to process energy from lava?

• Total voters

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I think that is fine... Everyday I read that this mod is OP, or this other is OP and this is disappointing that pass changes that not everybody do not like.
We all have different ways to play, and the important thing is to have fun, if you like to play hard and I like easy mode is no reason to force to play another the way you think best.

I like GT for the configuration file, and I think the best thing is that modders enabling modify the major part of the mod, disabling parts that we do not like it, adjust the levels obtained or need to create or maintain in operation machines

I don´t like to spend 100 hours for get a drill, for that I disable the recipe the GT, is my way to get fun! :)

3 configurations
Easy ...
Normal ... aaannnndddd
extreme super-hard, crazy extreme .... ;) LOL

Actually I play the Direwolf20 Pack, Sorry my English, I am learning :)

this guy won the internet right here, someone give him a medal.

you are totally right, gregtech forcing you to wait 45 minutes for 6 electrum ingots and not being able to change that just because... I want to play bro! no to be a scientist, i already do that at work (for example)
Also portal gun, for me it isnt cheating, and i rather have the cheap recipe.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
man, i did not expect anyone to take that quote seriously; but it is a pretty good way to describe people's perceptions of game balance being based on the scope of their experience.

That aside, i do want to make the point that minecraft's game balance is very weird in the fact that it balances around the progression to endgame, rather than the endgame itself. The point being that any balance targets for the game have to be made towards a goal that is constantly moving as the player progresses through the game.

I wonder what you could add to actually give minecraft a permanent endgame goal, though.

Reactions: whythisname

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
greg wants to add a new dimension that uses his fusion reactor to access

@dravarden silver + gold makes electrum.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Build challenge: using a system powered exclusively by charcoal, construct a GT fusion reactor. Post results.
Running wood through a sawmill is marginally more efficient.

Also, power in my SSP not-quite-MindCrack world is currently about half and half steve's carts woodcutter and geothermal.

The wooden planks power a steam boiler (~1 plank a second) for the bulk of my power generation. I use the geothermal for when I want EU as opposed to MJ; as it is a pain to move the pumping station I use it sparingly.

I don't need fusion power - I can quite happily use those resources on something else slightly less tedious, thank you very much. 144MJ/t is quite enough for my needs most of the time, and when I need more, I can duplicate my setup. I'm going to do an updated version of the cost breakdown at some point, though.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
On pumps being source of lag. Why do they need to search for the farthest - deepest source block in the body they are touching. Why not cap their range at the current chunk + 1, or ~32 blocks in all directions.

Isn't ender chest and a chunk loader the main gateway to the near infinite nether lava. Which in the end is just what 4-5 ender pearls?

What if enderchests or chunk loaders had costs high enough to push them into mid/end game. Then if you want to use those big pools of lava you have to do some manual container movement.

Chunk loaders have many positive uses and generally only expand possibilities, so to me they don't need to be more expensive.

I'd focus on the chests. Instant server-wide transport of items is powerful stuff.

To get that power should use more expensive stuff maybe a combo of wither skulls/star and a ender pearl. Maybe macerate/explode the star into 4-8 pieces/shards and use the pieces to make chests or just use wither skulls. Or make the chests in pairs, so 1 star + 1 pearl and other chests bits makes 2 ender chests.

The chests really bypass a lot of neat solutions you would need to have for items and player transport. Making them later game items and suddenly you have to use tubes/pipes for your first base and work toward making ender chests to replace your long pipe runs.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
On pumps being source of lag. Why do they need to search for the farthest - deepest source block in the body they are touching. Why not cap their range at the current chunk + 1, or ~32 blocks in all directions.
Programmatically, it's the most efficient, and causes the least amount of extra lag due to the client having to render umpteen million flowing lava blocks. As to precisely how it works, i cant say, as i haven't looked at the code myself.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
On pumps being source of lag. Why do they need to search for the farthest - deepest source block in the body they are touching. Why not cap their range at the current chunk + 1, or ~32 blocks in all directions
They (both the BC and RP2 one) do have a range cap. It's just a long distance.

What if enderchests or chunk loaders had costs high enough to push them into mid/end game. Then if you want to use those big pools of lava you have to do some manual container movement.
With enderchests being more expensive, people would just use Mystcraft portals + tank carts, adding lag for servers while not actually making it harder for players. Not to mention that canvas bags are dirt cheap (64 string + 1 wood), so it wouldn't be that much container moving anyways.

With chunkloaders being more expensive... Well for one thing they already are. The original chunkloader was 8 iron around a piece of lapis. But regardless, what would probably happen is either people would just move their bases into the nether, or they would use alternative chunkloaders if available. Changing every chunkloader recipe would be a possibility - but it only takes one mod author making a less expensive chunkloader to make the expensive chunkloaders useless. It's the same reason why I am predicting that GT will fail eventually. Regardless of if his vision is correct (and let's not get into that here), it only works so long as every mod is balanced according to his version of balance.

Reactions: Dravarden

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Re increasing the cost of enderchests/other transdimensional item transport: remember that a vanilla Nether Portal can now be used to transfer items as well. You'd have to pull a Greg on it if you want to push item/lava/energy transfer to later game.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Well, with turtles and teleporers for turtles you can move from the nether to the overworld some lava cans, and even use some of them as fuel (i think)

about the post, remember that lava is a powerful thing, liquid fire and stone... I think it should give more energy, but it shouldn't be able to store it in glass tanks, needs a reinforced pipe (like double waterproof) and what generates energy with it made out of obsidian.

ps: remember this is minecraft, where you can store lava in an iron bucket and use it to cook food...

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
It's not the pump that causes the lag, it's the in game fluid flowing mechanics. Once all those liquid blocks start flowing, that's as lot of calculations that have to take place each tick. With lava it's even worse, as it's also a light source, resulting in changing light sources.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
It's not the pump that causes the lag, it's the in game fluid flowing mechanics. Once all those liquid blocks start flowing, that's as lot of calculations that have to take place each tick. With lava it's even worse, as it's also a light source, resulting in changing light sources.

but ALL lava blocks, flowing or not, give off light...

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
but ALL lava blocks, flowing or not, give off light...

yes but the lag form lighting updates happen when you have a lot lava blocks changing heights. remove one source block that one block drop causes an update as now the light is coming form one block down. Lighting updates are not so bad but they do add to the already large issue of the fluid updates.

The core issue is the fluid updates. You ever have a quarry derp out and come back to a half flooded quarry because of one source block of water? When you take that block out the game has a small lag spike was the whole water structure updates and breaks down. Thats the issue with pumps on servers. All them little fluid updates add up and the larger the pumping operation and area effect the more updates that need to be done. Mind you on a small server or SSP it is not really an issue. But when you got 20 or 30 people doing it on a server it can cause an impact.

Edit: add to that the impact of chunkloaders keeping those pumping stations alive and well it just compounds.