IndustrialCraft 2 or Thermal Expansion 3?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MonkeyMan

Jul 29, 2019
OK, I am in the process of creating my own modpack and have noticed something odd, most mod packs include both Thermal Expansion 3 and IndustrialCraft 2? It seems redundant to have both, they each have their own power system, way of ore doubling, rechargeable tools (with addons), etc... so I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each and would appreciate the opinion of some older or more experienced players. Also, I am taking into account it's addons.

IndustrialCraft 2
I used to play the Mindcrack Pack when it came out and fell in love with this mod. I like a challenge and with GregTech, this mod is great. It has tiers of power and advancement that could keep me around for a while. With Advanced Solar Panels and GraviSuite you have a nice end game power generation and something to spend all that energy on. Modular Force Field System can also be alot of fun. However, I haven't played with this mod in a while and I know ALOT has changed since then. GregTech has an awkward looking "Bronze Age," and MFFS seems to have changed alot since Calclavia took over.

Thermal Expansion 3
Back when I played with this mod, it had next to nothing on IC2. I used the Tesseracts and thats about it. Now it seems to rival it with Redstone Arsenal giving us rechargeable tools and Simply Jetpacks having jetpacks/armor. Plus Big Reactors adds a nuclear power generation system. However, this still seems like the lazy person's IC2 to me. I can reach the end game fairly quick and that bugs me.

I know I could "just include both" but I don't want two near-copy mods in my modpack, I want one main power system. So which one offers a more complete and fun experience in your opinion? I'm personally leaning towards IC2 and it's addons but I can't wait to see if others will convince me otherwise. The FTB team chose Thermal Expansion so if anyone knows why it would be cool if you let me in on it. If there's any good addons I missed that add something significant, let me know because that could sway my opinion too.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
you are also forgetting mekanism + ender io + extra utilities which work on RF ( thermal expansion power system)
All those togheter are way way better than industrial craft 2
Edit : right now, also forestry and buildcraft work on RF

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I would include both. There are a lot other mods that make redundant both of these, but don't nearly have as many mutually exclusive features from one another.

I would more likely say that Fz and IC2 are redundant, Ender i/o and TE.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
TE if you want a plug and play system for your toys.
IC2 if you want to design/engineer with actual gameplay mechanics.

A big advantage of choosing the RF api is the amount of mods that use it, so if you like RF you can have it without TE- railcraft, ender IO, Mekanism plus a few other machine processing/tech mods all support it, and provide a lot of functionality to play around with. It'll probably give you the best of both worlds.

MonkeyMan

Jul 29, 2019
I researched Mekanism, it looks really cool, my favorites are the jetpack & Robit! Ore quintupling seems kinda OP and the models for stuff doesn't look too "Minecrafty". I have a big issue with mods not looking like they fit in. EnderIO looks OP with all those blocks that do anything for so cheap & Extra Utilities looks like it's not really a TE addon, it just happens to have a few generators for it. I loaded up a 1.7.2 world with GT, & holy crap there are so many ores, I don't like it. Still leaning towards IC2 though

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Extra Utilities looks like it's not really a TE addon, it just happens to have a few generators for it
It's not a TE addon, but it uses RF for many of its machines. It in no way requires TE.
I loaded up a 1.7.2 world with GT, & holy crap there are so many ores, I don't like it
You really should be using 1.7.10. I personally dislike GT oregen as well, so I use Per Fabrica Ad Astra Geologica instead.

MonkeyMan

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I meant 1.7.10. I don't really like Per Fabrica Ad Astra Geologica, mainly because of the textures but is there any way to change GT oregen? I think you can somehow with TE... And what's the general opinion of Mekanism and Ender IO, like are they worthwhile mods?

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
I like IC2 better just because it feels... Better, It's what i "Grew up with" as far as modded minecraft experiences go.

With RF you can just wire anything to anything else and it works, That's just a little *Too* easy maybe.

IC2 meanwhile has actual voltages, power loss, You can't plug anything into whatever you want, ETC

Reactions: retep998

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
But what would I use to replace the Tesseracts & the Liquid Transposer?

Tesseracts: You don't. That would partially defeat the purpose of trying new things.

Liquid Transposer: IIRC Railcraft's iron tanks and Forestry's raintanks can fill buckets.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The problem here and yes it's partially FTBs fault is that almost every FTB pack has IC2 and TE in it, players have got so used to starting with TE they don't know anything else.

Seriously try it, a pack without either, you will enjoy it so much not having that initial and medium path already in your head that you don't have to think about what to do anymore.

I have nothing against either mod, but when TE wasn't ready for 1.7, Bevo's pack didn't have TE in and it was great, putting TE in actually spoiled the pack for me.

The issue you face as a pack maker though is the vast majority of players want TE and wont play without it.

This is my open DARE TO FTB, make a pack without TE in :p

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently playing Beyond Reality, which has no Thermal Expansion. And almost all of the IC2 machines are disabled by Gregtech, so forced Gregtech progression. Not exactly open ended, but it is definitely a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: immibis