IndustrialCraft 2 or Thermal Expansion 3?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

capSAR273

Jul 29, 2019
Each has it's perks I think. IC2 + GT can keep the player from getting an ungodly amount of resources in a short time of playing. TE has nice upgrades, and I like the RF power system more than EU. If you want to give the players of your modpack a fresh experience, have them use EnderIO instead of TE. Take out mods that throw the balance off, like Big Reactors (or change the recipes to steel).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Which are more attractive, blondes, brunettes or redheads?

Seriously, I never install TE3 in any modpack, but I still recommend it over IC2 for just about anyone who has to ask the question. At the end of the day, IC2/e shows no sign of ever being not-experimental. I prefer the mechanics, but its half-assed in completion. Thermal Expansion at least seems to have all its edges smoothed out for the most part.

Reactions: immibis

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
If you want both mods, go for it. If your pack is a themed pack, then pick the one that fits your theme the best.

Compared to previous versions, TE has more upgrades (which equates to more resource expense), some things are a little more expensive, and config files that allow a large amount of customisation.

Mekanism and EnderIO are also good mods to use. Sure, just like most tech mods, 75-90% of the content is basically duplicated, but it's the remainder that you'll really want to play with.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
If both are in a modpack, I always use TE, it's just easier to build them, the machines looks better IMO and they're really like seeing old friends each time I begin a new pack.

The only exception to this was when GregTech was in the modpack (FTB Ultimate for 1.4.7) where I switched over to IC2 for endgame since it processed things much much quicker. There were no TE "augments" back then but IC2 had transformer upgrades, etc. But now that I've tried the TE augments in Direwolf pack, that only reinforces my preference for them over IC2 machines. I think BeyondReality pack did it correctly, if you use GT/IC then you prob shouldn't also have TE to "fall back on" as a crutch. :)

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I started modded MC with IC2, but as of recently, I've come to dislike the mod intensely. I would recommend TE. I've been playing a non-ic2 modpack for months though, and jumping into Direwolf and IC2 left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Seriously, those machines can be slooooooow.

Or better yet, use neither and use EnderIO+Mekanism instead. Seriously, those should cover all of your bases. EnderIO for all of you machine wants, and Mek for all of your power generation.

In fact, Mekanism by itself may be your answer. It has a fair selection of machines that will do whatever you will. No items that teleport liquids/blocks/energy though, afaik.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I started modded MC with IC2, but as of recently, I've come to dislike the mod intensely. I would recommend TE. I've been playing a non-ic2 modpack for months though, and jumping into Direwolf and IC2 left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Seriously, those machines can be slooooooow.

Or better yet, use neither and use EnderIO+Mekanism instead. Seriously, those should cover all of your bases. EnderIO for all of you machine wants, and Mek for all of your power generation.

In fact, Mekanism by itself may be your answer. It has a fair selection of machines that will do whatever you will. No items that teleport liquids/blocks/energy though, afaik.
I've heard that Aidan plans to implement item/fluid/energy teleportation in Mekanism.
#MekanismMasterRace

Reactions: Jess887cp

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Which are more attractive, blondes, brunettes or redheads?

Seriously, I never install TE3 in any modpack, but I still recommend it over IC2 for just about anyone who has to ask the question. At the end of the day, IC2/e shows no sign of ever being not-experimental. I prefer the mechanics, but its half-assed in completion. Thermal Expansion at least seems to have all its edges smoothed out for the most part.
Redheads, well I am Irish..

Reactions: Pyure

MonkeyMan

Jul 29, 2019
@capSAR273 What upgrades? Sorry I haven't played with TE since 1.4.7
@Pyure How is the mod half-assed in completion?
I'd say my pack has a theme of being hard, like HungerOverhaul, Igunana's Tweaks, etc... That's why I still think IC2+GT is the way to go for me and nothing that TE-related that I know of can touch the difficulty of getting a GraviChestplate. Are there things that a person used to playing GT would consider hard to make in Mekanism, Ender IO or TE? But then again I agree with asb3pe in that I could include TE as a crutch because I understand that some of my friends would want things like a jetpack but not have to grind or learn how IC2 works because of it. Also, even though this isn't the main topic, what other mods would you recommend to increase the game difficulty? Maybe something to add use & danger to the Nether (not Lycanite Mobs) & End, harder mobs (not Infernal Mobs), thirst (not EnviroMine), better places to explore, anything OP in Minecraft basically

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@capSAR273 What upgrades? Sorry I haven't played with TE since 1.4.7
@Pyure How is the mod half-assed in completion?

I'm being excessively...I don't know, modest isn't the right word. But I am confessing that my preference (IC2) isn't as fleshed out as thermal expansion. Just take a look at the nuclear stuff: they've added this very cool 5x5 actively-cooled reactor system, but its failed in its purpose so far because it is far more complicated to set up than a MOX reactor and produces equal to or less than the same amount of power.

Even worse is the electrical system: they've abandoned amps and voltage (not that they ever called it that) "temporarily" to implement a new enet. Greg implemented a functional, comprehensible replacement almost immediately.

I do like playing with the IC2 systems but I have to admit, if you want a refined experience you might prefer to stick with TE3.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I love Thermal Expansion. Its become an essential part of the game for me. EnderIO has some nice machines but I would never use it as a TE replacement, its an augmentation.

Reactions: Pyure

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I love Thermal Expansion. Its become an essential part of the game for me. EnderIO has some nice machines but I would never use it as a TE replacement, its an augmentation.

io pipes & conduits with filters are better than TE conduits have ever been, that said I have been a big fan of TE from the start, it just does what it says on the can, you cant ask for more than that, & dont forget it was the first mod with configurable gui, before TE lot of the better know moders said it could not be done but Lemming did it :), the only down side has been the conduits & the way they work, that can allow shabby builds to lag servers badly, ei 4k items bouncing around a conduit looking for a home, this I read had been addressed in one of the 164 versions, but still had the option for shabby builds to create lag, how hard is it to add a trash can at the end of the line!, mini rant over, the io conduits are a bit like an upgraded version of TE conduits but with far more control that you had with servros, some of the machines in io are silly & way to easy for the power & output, but the conduits oh man they saved the day in most all the latest packs, bc pipes have had a major upgrade but for me there old & a bit clunky.

What was this topic about ?, seems to have been derailed.