In your next Direwolf20 build, will you bother with IC2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Personally Lava is the simple but effective solution, with EE3 in place you can easily get to the nether before even getting diamonds. which is a plus as the nether is no longer end game. I do enjoy the options but after finding out the hassles of reactors and the slow gain I quickly upgraded to advanced solars for my EU production but found that it also crippled me because I was dependent on that. Lava is def a forgettable power source, moreso if you have a lava mystcraft age, that only needs a rare maintanence every so often but if you're like me I always have spots mapped out and ready to go before hand so it's as easy as transfering equipment from one spot to another. MJ is the standard, I'm happy sticking to it.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
it would make more sense to nerf input instead.
Do you mean the running costs, or the upfront costs? Both of these would be solved if the FTB people enabled IC2 ore generation by default - copper and tin are very common at all height levels. Uranium can be annoying to mass produce without bees, but a good breeder should negate this problem quite nicely.

Incidentally, Greg has lowered the running costs of reactors massively by making uranium multicells use copper plates rather than dense copper plates. This means you only need 5 copper ingots for each quad uranium cell, not 40.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Do you mean the running costs, or the upfront costs? Both of these would be solved if the FTB people enabled IC2 ore generation by default - copper and tin are very common at all height levels. Uranium can be annoying to mass produce without bees, but a good breeder should negate this problem quite nicely.

Incidentally, Greg has lowered the running costs of reactors massively by making uranium multicells use copper plates rather than dense copper plates. This means you only need 5 copper ingots for each quad uranium cell, not 40.
probably both, but running cost mainly.
while using IC2 ore gen might indeed fix reactors position, it would also break the "balance" for mods that utilize tin and copper(TE, Forestry). so buffing reactors output in config would be a better solution, it would also server only as a band aid for reactor mechanic in general.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 has the best power distribution transport system IMO

It's much more in-depth than "Run some cables!"

It's also the only reason I still use it. After a year or so of modded Minecraft I still haven't figured out 100% how the EU system works. I find it more fun to have BC for power generation (with power conversion into EU), IC2 for power transport, and UE/IC2 for the machines. Each one excels in its own areas, and they're better when you link them together. Although, that's just what I've found from toying with all three power systems.

Reactions: immibis

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, its "run glass fiber everywhere"

Or HV cables. Or uninsulated cables, and wire it up to an extremely inefficient mob trap. Or extreme LV cables. Or MV cables. Or a line of batboxes/MFEs/MFSUs. Or run it through a transformer to prevent energy loss.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Or HV cables. Or uninsulated cables, and wire it up to an extremely inefficient mob trap. Or extreme LV cables. Or MV cables. Or a line of batboxes/MFEs/MFSUs. Or run it through a transformer to prevent energy loss.

None of those work as well as laying glass cables. It's one of the broken parts of IC2's design.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
None of those work as well as laying glass cables. It's one of the broken parts of IC2's design.

Considering it costs 2 diamonds per 4 (or maybe 6, I haven't played FTB for awhile) pieces of cabling, it's not broken until you get to the stage where you're building houses out of diamond blocks.

Until then other choices are viable.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Considering it costs 2 diamonds per 4 (or maybe 6, I haven't played FTB for awhile) pieces of cabling, it's not broken until you get to the stage where you're building houses out of diamond blocks.

Myeah, except that building houses outta diamonds isn't as hard as it used to be. I've got around 30k diamonds atm, which would make 3k3 diamond blocks, that's a pretty big diamond house.

Reactions: RedBoss

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Myeah, except that building houses outta diamonds isn't as hard as it used to be.

It's still not the easiest thing.

Most people don't have more than a stack of diamonds until they're around a week into their world. Which is awhile, considering it's unlikely that you'll have enough time/interest to play for more than six hours a day.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Part of the reason I tolerate the existence of GregTech is things like the soul shard/auto-spawner loop for making solid gold houses, Dartcraft for making that even more productive with spoils bags and auto-uncrafting, and EE3 for making it possible to build a solid diamond house.

Thinking about this has inspired me. You know what I don't have? A replica Great Pyramid of Giza made of diamonds.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Part of the reason I tolerate the existence of GregTech is things like the soul shard/auto-spawner loop for making solid gold houses, Dartcraft for making that even more productive with spoils bags and auto-uncrafting, and EE3 for making it possible to build a solid diamond house.

Thinking about this has inspired me. You know what I don't have? A replica Great Pyramid of Giza made of diamonds.

That's (230*230*138)/3=2M433 diamond blocks, if you want it full and in rl scale.

Not impossible, but...

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
That's (230*230*138)/3=2M433 diamond blocks, if you want it full and in rl scale.

Not impossible, but...
The original pyramid of giva was 145m tall. Since then the top 7m have been mysteriously knocked off.

Now I think about it: a filler can build in pyramid shapes right? Set that going a few times and you'll have a replica wonder of the ancient world in no time!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

It's more than cheap enough for most factory and workshop setups. For long-distance power transports, most clever people use inter-dimensional lapotronic crystal storage or use MFSU carts. Which is an example of why IC2's energy design is so broken.

All that other stuff you said? That's all less than optimal and will never work as well, and is generally more expensive to boot!

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Well I use IC2 all the time, and one thing that I find important to note is that lots of mods use the IC2 api, for example Forestry.