I like my old IC2

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
357158_700b.jpg

All silliness aside - IC2's been stagnating a bit - good to see them branching out to more stuff :D

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
The new IC2 is getting into more craft-chains, not going gregtechy. Gregtech adds a top-level tech tier, and nerfs and strives to extend the earlier IC2 game phases.

Applied Energistics completely solves any issues with craft chains you may have.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
The new IC2 is getting into more craft-chains, not going gregtechy.
GregTech is also well-known for extreme chain-crafts. 'Cept GT also adds some shortcuts so it's moot in some cases.

Honestly, IC2 Exp. is like GT in 1.4.7, but without the cool machines, unique concepts and high level of power. You basically end up with a crappy and generic tech mod that's statistically the worst option out of basically everything (hell, even pure TC4 is better). It's like Railcraft was in 1.2.5: the only reason to use it is because you're purposely trying to inhibit yourself.

JoeOtaku

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech is also well-known for extreme chain-crafts. 'Cept GT also adds some shortcuts so it's moot in some cases.

Honestly, IC2 Exp. is like GT in 1.4.7, but without the cool machines, unique concepts and high level of power. You basically end up with a crappy and generic tech mod that's statistically the worst option out of basically everything (hell, even pure TC4 is better). It's like Railcraft was in 1.2.5: the only reason to use it is because you're purposely trying to inhibit yourself.

so true

Luke Gevaerts

Jul 29, 2019
It's like Railcraft was in 1.2.5: the only reason to use it is because you're purposely trying to inhibit yourself.

It's still somewhat useful alongside an AE system, as you can upgrade the machines' processing speed and thus speed up AE's auto-crafting. It's actually the only thing I still use IC2 for - and I predict I'll be ditching it completely once TE introduces machine upgrades.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
It's still somewhat useful alongside an AE system, as you can upgrade the machines' processing speed and thus speed up AE's auto-crafting. It's actually the only thing I still use IC2 for - and I predict I'll be ditching it completely once TE introduces machine upgrades.

If you have infinite charcoal and minium shards EE3 has it beat by about a billion miles.

Luke Gevaerts

Jul 29, 2019
If you have infinite charcoal and minium shards EE3 has it beat by about a billion miles.

Aye, except EE3 doesn't work for me. It's always the same story: either the game doesn't recognize the .jar or it fails to add any of its contents. No matter what I do, no Minium Stone for me. :(

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Aye, except EE3 doesn't work for me. It's always the same story: either the game doesn't recognize the .jar or it fails to add any of its contents. No matter what I do, no Minium Stone for me. :(
Yea I've had trouble with the newer versions of EE(Or he simply changed what the mod does and I'm a dunce). I can get it to load in the items and all, no conflicts, etc. The problem is; they're absolutely useless. Neither stone does anything.

Luke Gevaerts

Jul 29, 2019
Yea I've had trouble with the newer versions of EE(Or he simply changed what the mod does and I'm a dunce). I can get it to load in the items and all, no conflicts, etc. The problem is; they're absolutely useless. Neither stone does anything.

That's already more than I've been able to get it to do, but I guess the net result is the same.

I solved it by installing Custom Recipes - fantastic mod, by the way - and using it to recreate the EE3 recipes I found on the official(?) wiki. I had to replace the Minium Stone with another catalyst (currently using Lava Buckets - not ideal, but I'm still trying to figure out what refundable item/block is expensive enough to match the time and effort it takes to create a Minium Stone), but at least I can transmute Iron Ingots into Ender Pearls again. Screw camping around in a desert waiting for those slender bastards to spawn.

Reactions: Hoff

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
A maxed Mekanism furnace-type factory is actually 3.5x faster than IC2 when it comes to mass crafting, as is the DC Force Furnace with a speed core. I really do hate to say it's the worst option for everything, but.....it is.

Reactions: Omegatron

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's really sad that this is the feedback the IC2 project gets after FINALLY producing new content and working hard to address a lot of the longstanding issues. Let's look at a few:

1. The power system: largely fixed. The new power system is simpler and more predictable. It makes transformer use more consistent and EU usage more intuitive. It also tends to cause bigger explosions when you do mess up. :)
  2. Nuclear power: highly motivated. Not only is it a bit easier to deal with now (and has a lot of depth) but it produces fuel that gives infinite power. It's actually much easier to make a lot of infinite power.
  3. Refined Iron is obnoxious to cook: fixed. Now you can pay extra power/time to prep iron for use in machines, or just pay a material tax. Automatic crafting systems interact well with this.
  4. Ore processing: now has substantial depth and tradeoffs. You can do a lot with it and it opens up nice crossmod integration points.
IC2 always had very deep crafting trees. It has been assuming you do some automatic crafting since the olden 1.4 days.[DOUBLEPOST=1386634693][/DOUBLEPOST]
A maxed Mekanism furnace-type factory is actually 3.5x faster than IC2 when it comes to mass crafting, as is the DC Force Furnace with a speed core. I really do hate to say it's the worst option for everything, but.....it is.

Be aware that Mekanism's power requirements are starting to go up substantially. This lame "I spam windmills whee" world will not persist for much longer. And I'm told the use of oxygen for tripling will also go away soon, and require Yet Another Power Sink.

In general, Mekanism's tradeoff is becoming, "Cool but can you power me?"

Reactions: xbony2

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's really sad that this is the feedback the IC2 project gets after FINALLY producing new content and working hard to address a lot of the longstanding issues. Let's look at a few:

1. The power system: largely fixed. The new power system is simpler and more predictable. It makes transformer use more consistent and EU usage more intuitive. It also tends to cause bigger explosions when you do mess up. :)
  2. Nuclear power: highly motivated. Not only is it a bit easier to deal with now (and has a lot of depth) but it produces fuel that gives infinite power. It's actually much easier to make a lot of infinite power.
  3. Refined Iron is obnoxious to cook: fixed. Now you can pay extra power/time to prep iron for use in machines, or just pay a material tax. Automatic crafting systems interact well with this.
  4. Ore processing: now has substantial depth and tradeoffs. You can do a lot with it and it opens up nice crossmod integration points.
IC2 always had very deep crafting trees. It has been assuming you do some automatic crafting since the olden 1.4 days.[DOUBLEPOST=1386634693][/DOUBLEPOST]

Be aware that Mekanism's power requirements are starting to go up substantially. This lame "I spam windmills whee" world will not persist for much longer. And I'm told the use of oxygen for tripling will also go away soon, and require Yet Another Power Sink.

In general, Mekanism's tradeoff is becoming, "Cool but can you power me?"
I can think of a few ways to power them...

Can't wait to finally get into the tech sides of things in my SSP world since I have been mainly playing with TC to think up new foci. Can't say too much about power right now since all I have right now is a crystal in a furnace.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
1. Power system is about the exact opposite of largely fixed. Transporting and producing large amount of power is next to broken atm, and the system is extremely frustrating in how strictly it deals with mistakes. At least before it was pretty easy to deal with power level issues, now it's a nightmare.
2. Fair enough.
3. LOLWUT? Refined Iron wasn't a pain to cook because it's a furnace recipe and that means Induction Furnace, but this new system requires you to either waste mats and waste time or make a stereotypical slow IC2 machine that has no use outside of these crafting steps.
4. True, but it is still statistically bad compared to most, if not all, of the alternative mods that would fill IC2's role.

On Mek, the power requirements won't stop people as methods of mass producing energy are becoming increasingly widespread. Specifically we now have Big Reactors out in 1.6 and boilers, despite the many nerfs, are getting improved indirectly by the addition of Steam Dynamos and the fact that Metallurgy/Mekanism are becoming increasingly widespread in 1.6.

Reactions: immibis

Luke Gevaerts

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's really sad that this is the feedback the IC2 project gets after FINALLY producing new content and working hard to address a lot of the longstanding issues.

I'm sure it is, and I'm sure its authors have put in a lot of work to try and revitalize IC2 - but for as far as I'm concerned it simply isn't enough. It's not even that IC2exp is bad, it's just that the other tech mods out there are faster, more efficient and less demanding with regards to time and resources. I suppose it depends on one's style of play, but I don't see the appeal of choosing the inferior option.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
See, I agree that the new system makes sense. I always thought it was strange that two 32EU dwarves would walk side by side in a 32 cable.

Now, they can't, so as long as you know this new fact going in, you won't pile more than 3 generators on one batbox, and you won't have problems.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
1. Power system is about the exact opposite of largely fixed. Transporting and producing large amount of power is next to broken atm, and the system is extremely frustrating in how strictly it deals with mistakes. At least before it was pretty easy to deal with power level issues, now it's a nightmare.

Incorrect. What's been fixed is that goofy idea that a single wire can carry infinite power. And this also addresses problems with wire resistance that the old model forefronted.

3. LOLWUT? Refined Iron wasn't a pain to cook because it's a furnace recipe and that means Induction Furnace, but this new system requires you to either waste mats and waste time or make a stereotypical slow IC2 machine that has no use outside of these crafting steps.

You can use an autocrafter with a forge hammer and pay a material tax, or radically overclock and energy upgrade a metal former and pay a power tax. I personally choose the former. And the Induction Furnace was actually very expensive over its lifetime. It consumes more EU in total than every other block combined by far. Just because it always draws to keep warm.

4. True, but it is still statistically bad compared to most, if not all, of the alternative mods that would fill IC2's role.

Quite wrong. Quite wrong. It's directly comparable to Dartcraft and TE3 for total yield. Once Mekanism loses its free tripling it'll be in line there. The only mod I know blows the doors off the current scene is Engineer's toolbox, and that sort of demands a quarry.

On Mek, the power requirements won't stop people as methods of mass producing energy are becoming increasingly widespread. Specifically we now have Big Reactors out in 1.6 and boilers, despite the many nerfs, are getting improved indirectly by the addition of Steam Dynamos and the fact that Metallurgy/Mekanism are becoming increasingly widespread in 1.6.

I do not think you're... have you even... and then we...

Okay. Enjoy your game.

Reactions: xbony2

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
See, I agree that the new system makes sense. I always thought it was strange that two 32EU dwarves would walk side by side in a 32 cable.

Now, they can't, so as long as you know this new fact going in, you won't pile more than 3 generators on one batbox, and you won't have problems.
I do agree it makes more sense. Actually, it's very similar to the system that BC and TE use. The difference? IC2 blows up when you break these rules and its power limits are idiotically low. Decent idea, but removes uniqueness and has bad implementation.

JoeOtaku

Jul 29, 2019
I do agree it makes more sense. Actually, it's very similar to the system that BC and TE use. The difference? IC2 blows up when you break these rules and its power limits are idiotically low. Decent idea, but removes uniqueness and has bad implementation.
im thinking about downgrading ic2 when 1.6 packs come out. what do u think?