I Derp, You Derp, We all Derp, What's your's?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

One_Random_Dude

Jul 29, 2019
Bit of an old derp but nevertheless a good one......

Back when a friend and I were playing Ultimate and the Wither just got added, we were playing on a server. He was focusing on Thaumcraft magic and needed a Nether star for something. So we both be thinking it couldn't be that hard. We geared up, got jetpacks, nice iron armor with extra protection, got the skulls and went looking for a nice place to fight him.

We ended up in a quarried/nuked area. Decided to use a filler to make a overhang on one of the quarry holes. Spawned the wither, started fighting him and we both got annihilated. The first few times we died, we didn't die both at once. Meaning one of us was always fighting him. Then we both died at once. We decided we needed better gear so we spend 10 minute-ish crafting something better. When we got back at the fighting area, the Wither had disappeared. We managed to lose a Wither......
For the next hour and a half we searced ever spot the bastard could have flown to. We even got help from another guy in full MPS armor.

Turned out he was hiding under the very same overhang we created to fight him -_-

Reactions: ljfa

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
1. Be me.
2. Be putting together the 5th Tier of my Blood Altar.
3. Decide to make beacon bases from aluminium because it's aesthetically in keeping with the overall structure.
4. Find that beacons wont activate
5. Spend 20 minutes trying to feed items into the beacons to activate them (yes, I really have no idea how these vanilla items actually work)
6. Realise that I accidentally made mariculture aluminium blocks, which can't be used for beacon bases, rather than TiCo ones which can.
7. Cue sound of head hitting desk.
especially when you realize the beacons don't need to be active for the altar to be considered tier 5

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That would explain why it doesn't behave with Geostrata stone either. Is it fixed in 1.7?

Btw: I was breeding Quantum bees, and its antecedents have this nasty Gravity effect, which pushes you around, throws you in the air, steps on pressure plates and closes your GUIs. The latter of these effects made me drop some bees on the ground and it turned out that Gravity also affects dropped items. The bees got pushed around and I couldn't find them. I had to rebreed them :(
For some reason the apiarist's suit doesn't protect against this effect.

Last edited:

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
That would explain why it doesn't behave with Geostrata stone either. Is it fixed in 1.7?

Btw: I was breeding Quantum bees, and its antecedents have this nasty Gravity effect, which pushes you around, throws you in the air, steps on pressure plates and closes your GUIs. The latter of these effects made me drop some bees on the ground and it turned out that Gravity also affects dropped items. The bees got pushed around and I couldn't find them. I had to rebreed them :(
For some reason the apiarist's suit doesn't protect against this effect.

That is annoying. The effect is somewhat mitigated by MPS and having the jetpack on, however it does flicker momentarily and enough to close a chest (or an apiarist's chest) when you have it open.

However, this isn't quite as irritating as the quantum bees themselves. The teleport effect can be nasty if you have potentially dangerous landing spots.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That is annoying. The effect is somewhat mitigated by MPS and having the jetpack on, however it does flicker momentarily and enough to close a chest (or an apiarist's chest) when you have it open.

However, this isn't quite as irritating as the quantum bees themselves. The teleport effect can be nasty if you have potentially dangerous landing spots.
At least the suit (or MPS with suit) prevents this effect...if they also had Gravity I would have removed it.

wolfpax181

Jul 29, 2019
My biggest derp had actual, real world, consequences.

In vanilla, I built a massive piston driven melon harvester. It was set on a BUD switch. The first time it auto-harvested, I had so many entities that it was lagging to unplayable. I figured, "I'll just let it go since it hasn't crashed, the entities will despawn and things will get back to normal soon." Well, I forgot the BUD switch, so it just kept my world in super-lag mode. I was playing on a 3 year old laptop at that point, and when I came back the screen was blank, there was a funny smell in the room, and a burn mark on my desk from the laptop trying to self-immolate. I had no backup of the world and I had started it all the way back in Alpha, before the nether was introduced. I had moved around, generated new chunks, and kept that world alive through various (usually MC edit) means for years.

I've never been that attached to a world again.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I did that thing while knowing those consequences were going to happen at these times. More than once.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Had a fantastic one the other day, caused a rollback and severe trouble for my server while I was derping about with it (thankfully it's a small server, still the owner wasn't particularly happy)

I was attempting to upgrade my power in AgS to use a turbine instead of just a passive cooled reactor. Had enough energy cells to run my AE system while the power was disconnected, so I thought that's all I had to account for. Soon after disabling my reactor, I noticed a bit of lag I thought it was my energy cells all sending lots of packets of energy about, so I went and fiddled around with those for a little bit to see if I could stop the lag, but it kept on getting worse.. So I went to rebuild my reactor back to how it used to be...... and accidentally beast mode'd it.. multiple times as I was trying to rebuild it with the lag, eventually gave up and came back the next day to my server owner rolling back the server.. to slightly after the lag had started.

So after looking around a bit more, I realised my entity count on F3 was 800 and rapidly rising. Turns out in my little mob farm set up, the grinders run out of power long before the mob production section does. And some of these mobs included snow golems (for my mob essence source), so they didn't despawn with distance as they're passive.

Reactions: Shadowzfire

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I caused a small forest fire with a RoC steam engine. Nothing too serious fortunately.
I usually build houses with wood, but obviously when playing with RoC I can't really do that. I think I'll use bricks and stone bricks instead.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
RotaryCraft.
Fan, powered by a steam engine. Wooden block nearby. Unnasand?
Man, that fan is a powerful griefing tool.