how OCD about Minecraft can you be?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I know I can be incredibly OCD when I play Minecraft. you ask how OCD? well, let's just say I've restarted a world about 20 times in a day, several times. I can really put some really irritating rules and objectives for myself, and if I fail at them, I delete the world.

I've stupid rules like...
  • I cannot die, at all. if I die, I delete the world. because of that I ofcourse had to restart a world quite a number of times now, and I really liked some of those worlds.
  • I also have to replant any tree I chop down around the world, but I do not replant MFR/IC2 rubber trees, as they tend to spawn too close to other trees.
  • I also can only pick up 1 berry bush from Natura and pam's gardens each, if I want more berry bushes or pam's gardens, I'll have to grow them from those single berry bushes and pam's gardens I picked up.
  • I also can't use any coal as fuel, never, EVER!! if I want fuel, go chop down some trees and cook the logs into charcoal. because of this I always end up with alot of coal that I never use.
  • I also have to be as efficient with ores as possible, I cannot smelt a single ore directly. this usually means I try to get a smeltery going as soon as possible. to get lava into the smeltery tank I either need to find some free iron or a bucket, or some free tin to craft some cans that I can use to carry the lava with. I usually find the free iron or tin in dungeon chests or villages.
  • talking about chests, most of the chests I find I need to leave behind. I can take out the items, but can't break the chests. ofcourse this isn't for every chest I find, for example chests in hollow hills need to be broken otherwise you keep opening the same damn chest.
  • I also can't change the lighting settings of Minecraft, not even in the Nether. if I want to see in the dark, go craft some night vision potions. luckily Thaumcraft generate blaze flowers in the desert that can be compressed into blaze rods using the compresser from IC2.
  • the rare few times that I get pretty late game, I also try to catch all the entities possible, first using safari nets, and if safari nets can't catch them I use the soul vials from Ender IO.
  • I tend to try to collect as many things as possible, so I also usually end up crafting every tool or armor that I can craft from all the mods.
  • I also can't throw away any cobblestone I mine, if I can compress it, compress it.

and I could go on and on about all these stupid rules and objectives I've set for myself, but how about everyone else? do you have any rules or objectives you've set for yourself when playing minecraft?

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019
I can't kill a full herd of wild animals. There HAS to be at least two left. Even if I need wool for my first bed and the next group of sheep is just over the hill. Same with sugarcane and pretty much every resource that used to be rare in the old days... Those times without minimaps and with constant panic to get lost when exploring xD

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I can't kill a full herd of wild animals. There HAS to be at least two left. Even if I need wool for my first bed and the next group of sheep is just over the hill. Same with sugarcane and pretty much every resource that used to be rare in the old days... Those times without minimaps and with constant panic to get lost when exploring xD

aah yes, the animals. at one point I also did not allow myself to kill any animals without properly breeding new ones, but nowadays there's so many of them around that I only don't kill animals near my base, the other animals still get stabbed alot though, or punched if it's that early ingame.

and sugarcane, same with cactus, only the 2nd and 3rd can be gathered, the bottom one needs to stay behind.

I'm also very strict when it comes to tools. a while I only allowed myself to craft 1 wooden pickaxe, and the rest of the tools had to be tinker's, but lately I allow myself to craft one stone pickaxe, shovel, axe and sword.
also my torches, they need to be made from MFR rubber, not from coal or charcoal

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
Everything I build must be based on odd numbers, because three by three doors are apparently the "best"

No breaking blocks with the wrong tool, because that one hit point matters

No wasting food before you get down to where you go exactly back to full hunger(so if I have steak, no eating it before I am below four meat stick things)

natirs

Oct 12, 2013
israel
everything has and i emphasise haaaas to be symetrical! it hurts my eyes not my brain.. i dont consider it ocd but more of the fact im a future game design student so i need to design a lot of symetrical constructions
im working on a ftb monster pack project for a while now and its huge yet 99% symetrical [go figure where i did not manage to completly symmetrise something yet i cant see it [except obviously for things that just cant be helped like distance beetween islands and biomes

Reactions: gold49

Fuzzbling

Jul 29, 2019
USA
  • I'm the same way about animals; always leave two alive.
  • Same for sugarcane and cactus, never take all of it, even if it's in abundance.
  • I always replant the trees I cut down.
  • I always build my base first, infrastructure for me comes over time and on a as needed basis.
  • If I find that a mod seems to over powered or cheaty, I just don't use it, no matter what the cost is in time effort to find an alternative. (Draconic Evolution, Big Reactors, Extra Utilities Angel Ring, etc).
  • I refuse to branch mine, ever. I'll make a path to the nearest lava pool at lvl 10-12 if I need to, work around the lava pool and any caves I find. After it's been picked clean, I move on to the next lava pool.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
This may sound odd; but, I hate it when a world or place looks to "perfect".
Idk why..
I just feel like destroying something or placing something down when I have that feeling.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
If I can't find a Natura Redwood to live in after an hour or so I'm deleting.

Also, If I'm spawned on a small Island I immediately delete.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I'm always carrying torches as well as logs and coal...you almost never see me run out of torches. I still have all of this in my inventory even if I'm not mining.
Also, I know that all materials for making stone torches can be found underground but I still don't use them, I always forget that they are a thing.

A Thermal Expansion workshop must always have the machines in this order: Chest, Redstone Furnace, Pulverizer, Induction Furnace, Energetic Infuser, Magma Crucible, Fluid Transposer.
The Furnace - Pulverizer - Induction Furnace combination is the most important one, so I can easily switch the output side of the Pulverizer.

When I cut down a tree that is too close to another one, I also have to cut down that one, else the leaves will look ugly. And of course trees must be replanted at the same spot, and the same type.

I will only use a wooden pickaxe to mine three cobbblestone. But then I won't throw it away, I will keep it and use it as furnace fuel.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I always smelt eight things at a time when using coal or charcoal in a vanilla furnace. Also, I try to use the vanilla furnace for as few ores as possible before I can double them, so in my current Pathfinder playthrough, that means making a smeltery ASAP and using a bucket made with iron from a lucky reward bag to get lava.

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
I always smelt eight things at a time when using coal or charcoal in a vanilla furnace. Also, I try to use the vanilla furnace for as few ores as possible before I can double them, so in my current Pathfinder playthrough, that means making a smeltery ASAP and using a bucket made with iron from a lucky reward bag to get lava.

I'm still this way in vanilla on the eight items thing. Also, I now use blaze rods thanks to a farm, yet I still do this despite have ten double chest at the farm alone

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
ooh god... mining. I can never understand why people do such a messy branchmining.
I always dig a shaft down until level 12 and create a 3x3 room on levels 48, 32 and 12.
from there I dig a 1x3x60 tunnel on the left and right. if I have enough resources I craft a turtle and let the tunnel dig 4 tunnels of 60 long on both sides on all 3 y levels. also every tunnel I dig needs to be completely surrounded with blocks, so no open spaces are left, even the spaces that you don't see.

if I do resource processing a sag mill with flint is always a must for me, as a sag mill with flint is the best early game method of increasing your resource processing
and I even try to be as efficient with charcoal as possible. so I only use 4 sticks to smelt 2 cobblestone into cobble, so I can craft a steve's workshop. after that I use the wooden pickaxe I no longer use for fuel in the workshop and use that to smelt logs into charcoal and further use the charcoal as fuel for the workshop

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
I guess the most noticeable OCD I have is about my hotbar, where I always have items at the same places:

1: Sword
2: Shovel
3: Pickaxe
7: Torches, which I move to 4 when using a Tinkers Construct pickaxe
9: Food

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
I guess the most noticeable OCD I have is about my hotbar, where I always have items at the same places:

1: Sword
3: Pickaxe
7: Torches, which I move to 4 when using a Tinkers Construct pickaxe
9: Food
For me:

1: Pickaxe
3: Axe
4: Sword
5: Hammer
6: Bucket
7: Misc
8: Misc
9: Torches

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Never make armor unless it either has a good effect like faster sprint or if what I am trying to do is near 100% impossible without.

not really OCD but I played minecraft since the day I owned it.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I used to keep my chests manually sorted, especially back in 1.4.7 when I started playing FTB. Accidental middle-clicks with Inventory Tweaks were the bane of my existance then :D
Nowadays I kinda always press the sort key after opening a chest, even if it is already sorted.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I used to keep my chests manually sorted, especially back in 1.4.7 when I started playing FTB. Accidental middle-clicks with Inventory Tweaks were the bane of my existance then :D
Nowadays I kinda always press the sort key after opening a chest, even if it is already sorted.
Am I the only person that doesn't care about how the contents of a chest is laid out? I just shit click everything in and don't even look if there are already some of these items in another chest.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only person that doesn't care about how the contents of a chest is laid out? I just shit click everything in and don't even look if there are already some of these items in another chest.
I try to keep chests organized to some degree but I'm usually too lazy to do it all the way. It's always so relieving when I get an AE system :)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Thats another one of my problems when playing Minecraft: don't want to do storage the normal way. Or getting resources for that matter in ultimate I had an automatic scrap box opener that sorted it in barrels the opened scrap went to a matter fabricator.
I also had a small ae system that was disconnected from the barrels and I also had 2 nuclear reactors but no automatic uranium processing and some solar panels and 2 wind mills.

I think you can spot whats wrong here.