how OCD about Minecraft can you be?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah, I can't play without invTweaks. I will constantly sort multiple times if I open up a chest or my inventory and will not use anything besides AE that isn't compatible with it.

3nd3r w1gg1n

Jul 29, 2019
I always plan out elaborate, well organized, symmetric builds. I always have a theme and can only use things that are in theme. I also hate just dropping machines randomly to tech up, they have to go into their allocated places in the build, which means I end up progressing extra slowly and inefficiently while I prepare where it needs to go.

Inevitably I always forget something like that I needed a length of duct next to a machine in my laying out of space. This throws off all my symmetry. on single player this usually means a restart (so many unnecessary aragrarian skies restarts I've never finished yet, still trying though). On a server usually its an eye twitch whenever I walk into that room.

I get super frustrated with manual storage, but I never use AE with discs or monitors, only storage busses so I have to open each chest. Better yet, alternative storage solutions.

Paths and hallways always have to be at least 2 wide and 3 high, and higher than they are wide unless its thematically correct.

Probably some other things too.... yeah I am a terrible person to try to share a build with.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I guess the most noticeable OCD I have is about my hotbar, where I always have items at the same places:

1: Sword
2: Shovel
3: Pickaxe
7: Torches, which I move to 4 when using a Tinkers Construct pickaxe
9: Food

That identical setup! With the exception that 1 is always the pickaxe (or a power glove if i go MPS at a later stage)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I just have the standard "can't leave the tops of trees floating in midair" OCD that most peeps have. Other than that, I'm pretty laid back.

My current base of shame dug into a cliff still has some dirt patches in the walls.

Reactions: Lethosos

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I refuse to use a BC quarry outside a designed mining age. If someone on our server does quarry the overworld, I add a four layer thick cobblestone lid, then relandscape. If I have access to a floodgate, I will pump it full of water first.

I also always refill creeper divots. I just can't take the scarring of my landscape.

When filling in space underground, I use smooth stone rather than cobble unless I'm intentionally trying to indicate that someone has been here (marking the path out of a cave, bridge across a chasm, etc.).

The first thing I capture with a reusable safari net must be a ghast, so I can spawn more for tears.

Journey Map waypoints are color coded with prejudice. White is world spawn. Yellow are bases (brighter bases hold more importance). Purple are world generation landmarks (mostly due to the abundance of Thaumcraft structures). Blue are mining locations. Green are geographic locations that I think would be fun to build in/around (again, brightness denotes importance). This holds true for each dimension.

My chest OCD has been much better since I discovered Bonnie's compartments, but I'm a firm believer that everything has a place, and it should be put in that place. I miss my ME system - its my next project for this world.

Interior living space must be a minimum of three tall. This includes major hallways. Two high doors are allowed, but anything more than one block thick is wrong and must be remodeled.

The standard 8 stack when smelting with charcoal applies, as does replanting felled trees and sugar cane.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I'm willing to admit right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I refuse to use a BC quarry outside a designed mining age. If someone on our server does quarry the overworld, I add a four layer thick cobblestone lid, then relandscape. If I have access to a floodgate, I will pump it full of water first.

I also always refill creeper divots. I just can't take the scarring of my landscape.

Interior living space must be a minimum of three tall. This includes major hallways. Two high doors are allowed, but anything more than one block thick is wrong and must be remodeled.
Woops, I'm worse than I thought.

I also have to repair creeper divots. Even ones that I may never walk past again.

And my living space has to be at least 5 tall.

Interesting evolution of my minecraft playstyle: lately I've done zero quarries. It sounds a bit insane, but in gregtech packs they're unnecessary and in other packs you can often get by with Minechem (which is a sort of sciency/arduous EE for all intents and purposes)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I color-code waypoints for Thaumcraft nodes. I mix the colors for multiple aspects.
And yea, it annoys me when I don't have enough dirt or sand to completely fill in creeper holes. Luckily, I can change that with TNTUtils :D

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Even numbered rooms with a non centered doorway.

.... I just cannot let them be. They drive me insane!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I color-code waypoints for Thaumcraft nodes. I mix the colors for multiple aspects.

I tried waypoints on nodes for a while, but I soon couldn't navigate due to the excess of waypoints on screen at any given time. Journey Map needs a user-defined class feature for wayooints (similar to the dimensions) so I can turn things like node points off when not in use.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thaumcraft Node Tracker? I might check that out. I'm used to doing it manually.
Yeah that's the one, I couldn't remember the name. It looks brilliant imo. Some have claimed its op, but really it just seems like an intelligent way to manage information.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Creepers divots? *installs WTFadventurecraft and turns all creepers into "helpful creepers"*

On a long-term build I always make plans for space. Crawlspace, raised flooring, secret access... You name it. I'll hide the ducting (except for aesthetic purposes, such as covers.)

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I guess the most noticeable OCD I have is about my hotbar, where I always have items at the same places:

1: Sword
2: Shovel
3: Pickaxe
7: Torches, which I move to 4 when using a Tinkers Construct pickaxe
9: Food

1. bag
2. food.
5. pickaxe/hammer
6. shove/excavator
7. axe/lumber axe
8. sword/cleaver
9. torches

Am I the only person that doesn't care about how the contents of a chest is laid out? I just shit click everything in and don't even look if there are already some of these items in another chest.

I mainly have about 12 double chests before I move onto AE2.
one chest is for items, one is for blocks and another is for miscellaneous things
then I have one for plants and seed and one for trees and another for miscellaneous plants.
one chest for gems and dusts, one for ores and ingots and another for blocks.
I also have one for animal drops, one for mob drops and one for miscellaneous entity drops.

I do get really OCD in which order they're placed though.

When filling in space underground, I use smooth stone rather than cobble unless I'm intentionally trying to indicate that someone has been here (marking the path out of a cave, bridge across a chasm, etc.).

The first thing I capture with a reusable safari net must be a ghast, so I can spawn more for tears.

Journey Map waypoints are color coded with prejudice. White is world spawn. Yellow are bases (brighter bases hold more importance). Purple are world generation landmarks (mostly due to the abundance of Thaumcraft structures). Blue are mining locations. Green are geographic locations that I think would be fun to build in/around (again, brightness denotes importance). This holds true for each dimension.

My chest OCD has been much better since I discovered Bonnie's compartments, but I'm a firm believer that everything has a place, and it should be put in that place. I miss my ME system - its my next project for this world.

The standard 8 stack when smelting with charcoal applies, as does replanting felled trees and sugar cane.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I'm willing to admit right now.

white is either spawn or base.
green is for zombie spawners, grey is for skeleton spawners and purple is for witch spawners. purple is also used for thaumium hills, thaumium altars and eldritches. yellow is used for desert temples and green for jungle temples. red is used for villagers and black is used for the end portal.

And yea, it annoys me when I don't have enough dirt or sand to completely fill in creeper holes. Luckily, I can change that with TNTUtils :D

I used to note down any node I found, but nowadays I only create a waypoint if a node has over 75 of a certain aspect, and I pick the color for the aspect that has the most (air is yellow, fire is red, water is blue, earth is green, order is white and black for perditio

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Well I usually don't note down the tiny nodes in silverwood trees or totems either.

On another note (hehe), I like it how you can create separate collections of waypoints with Mapwriter. Good for exactly this purpose.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I am the least OCD about MC possible, but I do play by weird rules:
Build a house, that first house is where you live. That lovely 3x4 dirt hovel is there for life, any other buildings you build will be too big to live in, so use them as a workshop.
Don't use overpowered stuff, unless A) You HAVE to (it is given to you/it's all that is available/the only way to do something without it taking a few hours) B) it is the only way to do something
Exploit all the glitches to bypass the early game magic mods. Magic mods tend to be so slow and grindy in the early game... so let's just breeze past it...
Pretend you are in peaceful mode - I only play in peaceful in singleplayer, so avoid all mobs and combat, unless needed, in MP
Cake floors. If possible, cake floors.

Reactions: gold49

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I must put steps everywhere that I ever walk, even if I have no plans of returning.

That would annoy the piss out of me. If I were on a server with you, I would follow those stairs home and... Oh god only knows what would happen then...

Reactions: gold49