Help me find what's missing from the wiki...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Note 1: Don't tell me about content that is obviously planned but not yet complete (unless it has been incomplete for a LONG time) ... e.g. http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?title=Category:Soul_Shards

Please don't slate me for this, as I can't tell if the intention is there to put more information - but the Gregtech page *only* currently lists a number of machines from IC2 that are changed if Gregtech is installed. I'd like to see which machines it adds, the fact that some recipes (eg cells) are also changed, more detailed information on the configs, and a few general guides, such as "what you need before you can make a solar panel". It's such a contentious mod, yet there's very little information in the FTB wiki about it. Information on the bigger machines, like the industrial furnace, would be really useful also, as NEI doesn't stipulate anything about multi-block structures. We're currently trying it out on our family server (Mindcrack pack), and it's a pita trying to figure out what is what.

Also (and this one is clearly started, as the links are there, just there's no info in them yet) Factorization would be a great page to finish, as it's so irritating having to look up a thread in MCF (at least Gregtech has a wiki - albeit an unofficial one!) every time one wants to check something out, such as last night I wanted to find out how to make diamond shards for my wrath igniter, and also wanted to figure out routers.

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
"Safely removed with: X" where X is Wrench, Electric Wrench, Crowbar, etc.
"Power requirements: X Y/t" where X is a value like 32 or 128 and Y is EU or MJ or Charge or whatever.

I would love to see this sort of information on every applicable page, they're probably some of my most repeated searches. I would suggest they be placed in the right-hand information section along with Block ID and Block Type.
It is possible(Infobox template), and it is already present on some pages. It be better if you provided on what mods the info are missing. (eg. IC2)

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
Please don't slate me for this, as I can't tell if the intention is there to put more information - but the Gregtech page *only* currently lists a number of machines from IC2 that are changed if Gregtech is installed. I'd like to see which machines it adds, the fact that some recipes (eg cells) are also changed, more detailed information on the configs, and a few general guides, such as "what you need before you can make a solar panel". It's such a contentious mod, yet there's very little information in the FTB wiki about it. Information on the bigger machines, like the industrial furnace, would be really useful also, as NEI doesn't stipulate anything about multi-block structures. We're currently trying it out on our family server (Mindcrack pack), and it's a pita trying to figure out what is what.

Also (and this one is clearly started, as the links are there, just there's no info in them yet) Factorization would be a great page to finish, as it's so irritating having to look up a thread in MCF (at least Gregtech has a wiki - albeit an unofficial one!) every time one wants to check something out, such as last night I wanted to find out how to make diamond shards for my wrath igniter, and also wanted to figure out routers.
Work hasn't been started on Gregtech. Current Gregtech articles were originally from IC2, therefore only articles about changed IC2 machines exists.

I think the links on the factorization is just a list of pages that should exist, not pages that are in progress. (Steve's Carts followed this model) But I can't say anything for the wiki team.

Westingham

Jul 29, 2019
It is possible(Infobox template), and it is already present on some pages. It be better if you provided on what mods the info are missing. (eg. IC2)

Here's a few examples I found of pages where the information is missing:
http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?title=Induction_Furnace
http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?title=Pump_(BuildCraft)
http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?title=Redstone_Energy_Cell
http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?title=Induction_Smelter

After some quick browsing, I would guess that the majority of pages do not have all the information that the infobox template allows for.

t3hero

Jul 29, 2019
Is this a crazy idea?

How about a more in depth guide explaining ComputerCraft.
Its a powerful mod that a lot of people shy away because how complex it looks at first.

Maybe just at first doing "Hello World" then "Hello Turtle" and then "Quarry Turtle"

A in-depth API guide along with the Peripherals APIs that are added by Mr. RichardG867 and his Misc Peripherals and some other Peripherals added, like Chicken Bones wireless redstone.

Its just so powerful and its hard to see people not use it, because they dont know how :p

Sudocomm

Jul 29, 2019
Is this a crazy idea?

How about a more in depth guide explaining ComputerCraft.
Its a powerful mod that a lot of people shy away because how complex it looks at first.

Maybe just at first doing "Hello World" then "Hello Turtle" and then "Quarry Turtle"

A in-depth API guide along with the Peripherals APIs that are added by Mr. RichardG867 and his Misc Peripherals and some other Peripherals added, like Chicken Bones wireless redstone.

Its just so powerful and its hard to see people not use it, because they dont know how :p

I like this idea, but for the basic programming for those that have never code dived, written a basic batch file, or even used command line. I would send them to youtube to watch the ComputerCraft - From noob to pro series. Granted it's from six months ago, but this guy starts off with the basic of the basic's just as you described for the "hello world" tutorial.

- Episode 1

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I think it might just be me, but I don't always want a video tutorial. I might get a chance to look some stuff up and read about it at a time that watching a video is impractical. Also some videos are hard to follow/have irritating music/incomprehensible speech, so a nice written guide is so useful.

A recent example is I was looking for info on the settings in rp2 managers, ended up having to watch dw20's mod spotlight a couple of times (to which none of the above irritating things apply generally), when a few words/diagrams would have been faster (for me).

Sudocomm

Jul 29, 2019
I think it might just be me, but I don't always want a video tutorial. I might get a chance to look some stuff up and read about it at a time that watching a video is impractical. Also some videos are hard to follow/have irritating music/incomprehensible speech, so a nice written guide is so useful.

A recent example is I was looking for info on the settings in rp2 managers, ended up having to watch dw20's mod spotlight a couple of times (to which none of the above irritating things apply generally), when a few words/diagrams would have been faster (for me).

That is completely understandable. Different people have different ways of learning. I for one happen to be a kinetic learner so I have to be able to see it done, and see the result before grasping the concept. Or see it done then do it myself, and then see the out come. That's why I liked t3hero's idea, but also expanding on making it more user friendly for those that need to learn kinetically.

All in all a more detailed computer craft wiki would be fantastic.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
No disrespect, but what's missing is the ability for anyone to edit it, which is why the commercial FTB wiki has far surpassed it. And I'm guessing that's without a lot of very smart people who probably would edit the commercial wiki except for a feeling of betrayal or something.

Seriously, deciding to wall off this wiki was a bad idea from the start. Just open it up, let the masses at it, and clean up after them.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
No disrespect, but what's missing is the ability for anyone to edit it, which is why the commercial FTB wiki has far surpassed it. And I'm guessing that's without a lot of very smart people who probably would edit the commercial wiki except for a feeling of betrayal or something.

Seriously, deciding to wall off this wiki was a bad idea from the start. Just open it up, let the masses at it, and clean up after them.

We tried that. It went horribly. Just looking at the misinformation on the unofficial wikis lets you know that the community frequently provides inaccurate information. This is intended to be a very accurate very technical wiki. It is actually more time consuming to go through and re-read/ edit out inaccuracies then it is to just create accurate articles in the first place. Anyone can edit, all they have to do is make a mock up article that isn't already written and isnt a copy from somewhere else and submit it. I am always looking for good writers. I just insist on the info being as accurate as possible, and that the articles not read like a novel.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
"Safely removed with: X" where X is Wrench, Electric Wrench, Crowbar, etc.
"Power requirements: X Y/t" where X is a value like 32 or 128 and Y is EU or MJ or Charge or whatever.

I would love to see this sort of information on every applicable page, they're probably some of my most repeated searches. I would suggest they be placed in the right-hand information section along with Block ID and Block Type.

This I like.

Reactions: Westingham

Westingham

Jul 29, 2019
Would it also be possible to get the EU and heat values for all applicable items? For example, one block of Oak Wood produces 750 EU at 10 EU/t in a Generator and also produces 0.3K heat in a Solid Fueled Firebox.

Reactions: CoderJ

Etienne Beaule

Jul 29, 2019
We tried that. It went horribly. Just looking at the misinformation on the unofficial wikis lets you know that the community frequently provides inaccurate information. This is intended to be a very accurate very technical wiki. It is actually more time consuming to go through and re-read/ edit out inaccuracies then it is to just create accurate articles in the first place. Anyone can edit, all they have to do is make a mock up article that isn't already written and isnt a copy from somewhere else and submit it. I am always looking for good writers. I just insist on the info being as accurate as possible, and that the articles not read like a novel.
Respectfully, the wiki is horribly done as it is now. The pages arn't formatted and are a nightmare to read. Also, the mod specific maintainers are a bad idea, because of their tone about their mod. The translations could be improved (you barring new applications is not good) The vetting process seems like a dead weight and just cleaning up after others is better. The vetting process could be better (over a week without response is not good).

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
Respectfully, the wiki is horribly done as it is now. The pages arn't formatted and are a nightmare to read. Also, the mod specific maintainers are a bad idea, because of their tone about their mod. The translations could be improved (you barring new applications is not good) The vetting process seems like a dead weight and just cleaning up after others is better. The vetting process could be better (over a week without response is not good).
I can agree that the pages lack formatting, and we're already working on that. Translating is a slow progress, I am the translator with the most translations (currently at around 70 pages, and I agree that to stop accepting new applications is a bad idea, but looking at the current state of the wiki, there's not much you can translate if new formats are going to be put in place.

Etienne Beaule

Jul 29, 2019
I know that translating is slow; I do translations to french in other areas than FTB. There are many pages to get translated and when there are new articles, help with translating them is needed. So there will be a new format for the wiki or were you just saying that it's hard to add formatting while translating a page?

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
It's hard to reformat translated pages. The team asked a simple reformat on categories few weeks ago, it haven't been done yet. (I could go and use AWB to reformat all of them, but I don't want to break anything) And also, it's hard to coordinate the whole translating team, translated pages doesn't all follow the translating standard, and not all of the translating team reads or replies on the forum.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is the way the wiki was setup originally a lot of the changes have to be done on the backend server side. Which makes even a small formatting change a nightmare. And applications were stopped because with PAX coming up I do not have the time to review applications. After PAX some changes will be made. Frankly if you dislike the way I run the wiki you can either A.) make suggestions in a non-aggressive manner , this means giving examples and showing how it could be done, just saying "lacks formatting" says nothing of any use. or B.) you can go make your own unofficial wiki and do it your way. But frankly if you don't have helpful constructive advice its useless to me.

Reactions: Booker The Geek

Etienne Beaule

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is the way the wiki was setup originally a lot of the changes have to be done on the backend server side. Which makes even a small formatting change a nightmare. And applications were stopped because with PAX coming up I do not have the time to review applications. After PAX some changes will be made. Frankly if you dislike the way I run the wiki you can either A.) make suggestions in a non-aggressive manner , this means giving examples and showing how it could be done, just saying "lacks formatting" says nothing of any use. or B.) you can go make your own unofficial wiki and do it your way. But frankly if you don't have helpful constructive advice its useless to me.
I was not trying to be aggressive, but formatting such as adding recipes and templates (also removing boxes caused by a space) should be done before making it an article (Getting Started (RedPower)). I suggest removing the mod-specific maintainers as they write in a un-encyclopaedic tone (Sulfur Torch) and re-reading the articles (Getting Started (Industrial Craft)) The community should contribute, as they can also fix errors in other articles (the whole point of Wikimedia wikis) There would be administrators just to keep it all in order.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I was not trying to be aggressive, but formatting such as adding recipes and templates (also removing boxes caused by a space) should be done before making it an article (Getting Started (RedPower)). I suggest removing the mod-specific maintainers as they write in a un-encyclopaedic tone (Sulfur Torch) and re-reading the articles (Getting Started (Industrial Craft)) The community should contribute, as they can also fix errors in other articles (the whole point of Wikimedia wikis) There would be administrators just to keep it all in order.

Ah the getting started guides.. those were all written by the community not the wiki writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.