GregTech

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Tylor - while I know a few people around here will already have an idea of what you mean, could you post what you feel are better alternatives in other mods?

makeshiftwings - please read lawbrokens posts :(

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Tylor - while I know a few people around here will already have an idea of what you mean, could you post what you feel are better alternatives in other mods?
TE pulverizers are much cheaper than Recyclers. By the time you get to drills and mining lasers you are already have quarries, and now frame quarries. and turtles, but turtles are unbalanced inherently.
Without Mass Fab you don't need a lot of energy until lvery late game (when you can afford matter fab), so most of IC2 energy generators are not finding use too, and later they are outclassed by GT fusion gen and lightning rods.

Reactions: raiju

warfighter67

Jul 29, 2019
I like everything about it except the Macerator recipe, which I disabled thanks to the config. Even metal-block crafting requiring the compressor and mixed ingots requiring a rolling machine I think is pretty awesome.

The centrifuge is one of those fire-and-forget machines, which isn't a problem for me. I just shove some stuff in and go mining for awhile or setting up some other machines. It's not a machine where you make items on demand, which everyone wants it to be. I've been throwing tons of extra resources and dusts into the centrifuge to create a reserve of these centrifuged materials because I know I'm going to need them for mid-late game.

The recipe changes, save the Macerator, I believe are fair and favorable. A drill that mines as fast as Eff III diamond pick and never breaks? A chainsaw that's as powerful as a Sharpness IV diamond sword, acts like shears, and obliterates trees? I think having to go to the Nether and find a stronghold for such luxuries is perfectly reasonable.

Reactions: noah_wolfe

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
I like the merging idea of the various mods. The extended challenge and time to rule the world are great stuff to me. Heck, Quantum might be OP but what do you call the GraviSuite? :rolleyes:

GregTech also seems to be relatively NEW as a mod insomuch as it appears to be maturing far more rapidly in terms of balance compared to other mods that have had a long time to develop their feel. I thoroughly expect GT to find a groove over time. Much like aspects of Thaumcraft 2 were terribly balanced (research in my example), time and pondering has led us to the stellar methods in Thaumcraft 3 that we have now. I think mods are a lot like barbeque or slowcooker recipes. The more time you let it simmer and cook up, the better it gets. :D

Based upon personal experience, GT adds some neat new ideas and options. It also forces me to work with new mod parts and additionally, takes some real steps towards blurring where one mod begins and another ends. I like that.

And in the end, we are not forced to use GT with FTB anyway. I forget if it was this thread or not, but it has been mentioned the Ultimate pack will have GT in disabled form, thus letting both sides have their cake. The ease with which we can add or remove mods through the launcher (one time only at that) makes this seem a good alternative. And how easy the GT config is to adjust still further makes the happy sauce.:p

Above all though, stop and think about the horrible complexity mods add to vanilla. GT has nothing on that jump! :eek:

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Why people think that mods should be balanced with vanilla? And that blazes hunting with only vanilla equipment is necessary element of playing modded minecraft?

warfighter67

Jul 29, 2019
Why people think that mods should be balanced with vanilla? And that blazes hunting with only vanilla equipment is necessary element of playing modded minecraft?
Just because you have mods doesn't mean you are automatically guaranteed to not use any vanilla stuff.

Besides, Blazes are extremely easy to deal with. Just use some enchanted armor (protection or fire protection, iron will work) or use fire potions.

warfighter67

Jul 29, 2019
A couple of people have told me that he is making changes to Redpower. As I understand it Elo is very VERY protective of her mod. If it is even remotely true, I cannot imagine Greg doing to her mod what he has done to everyone else mods going over very well with her.
Never trust what anyone says unless you hear it from the dev him/her-self, or someone of high credibility like slowpoke. I highly doubt he'll be changing RP2 as it's a very balanced mod.

DaveSW

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like it. I don't care for what it adds, but more than that, if I had made a mod, and someone else came along and 'balanced' it, I would be pretty upset by that.

SeniLiX

Jul 29, 2019
I like it. If I made a mod and someone made another mod, but in the process would need to make minor changes to my mod to interact better. Of course. Go ahead!
I would even go as far as to work together with whoever wanted to expand on my work.

The goal is to make the mods work like a single pack. Two brains are better than one.

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
huh... some Gregtech trouble on the IC2 Forums, not what i expected to see. perhaps we can go there and suggest a split of the addon? like the part that adds new stuff is one addon, and the recipe changes are another? perhaps something a little different XD

warfighter67

Jul 29, 2019
huh... some Gregtech trouble on the IC2 Forums, not what i expected to see. perhaps we can go there and suggest a split of the addon? like the part that adds new stuff is one addon, and the recipe changes are another? perhaps something a little different XD
Already a config file for that.

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
Not having sensible access to Chiseled Stone Brick until Tier IV was annoying, since Sunnarium took priority over it by far. Good thing RP2 is back to remedy that.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to reiterate that while I personally think GregTech is not a good solution even for its own goals, it is not the monster so many people think it is, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that people's reactions to it are kneejerk and based on hearsay. Additionally, where it matters to Feed the Beast, GregTech is no problem. The problem, if any, are what config options the FTB team decide to go with. The idea of people attacking GregTech for FTB is absurd as he's NOT the one controlling which configuration the team decides to use. Such people might should rethink who they should actually address about this, and whether their reaction is at an appropriate level...

Personally I'd like to implore the FTB team to turn off the config options that make the material blocks require the Macerator and Compressor at the very least.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=92504#post92504
I'll just post this before people start turning 1 feather into 10 pre- v1.8 zombies.

"I like the idea of splitting the recipes into an addon
smile.png
"

Me too Lathanael, me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.