GregTech

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
It was a shame that after i commented saying good job there were some that got out of line.
I still thank the most of you and in return of your good behavior i have deleted the posts that were throwing there opinions at each other to leave this conversation open. ;)

I would like to remind the people that are and will be posting that all posts should be your own opinion and shouldn't be aimed at anyone else, you shouldn't need to quote anyone else.

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
Although I'd definitely like to give GregTech a try, I don't think I have the patience to do so though. I'm quite new to mods and GregTech seems so advanced and expensive for me, especially since I play MC maybe one hour a day, I don't have time to mine and craft all those crazy things GregTech requires :) And to be honest, I don't find any use for power tools since by the time I'm able to craft them I'll already have a quarry and whatnot. Or watermills, or regular solar panels etc. Also I don't like (or know how) to automate that many procedures, so those ridiculously high-capacity EU storage units are kind of useless for me.

But then again, using GregTech largely increases the lifespan of one's gameplay (at least I think so) in a way that one won't get bored that easily so...

Reactions: Xen0n

cheezytacos

Jul 29, 2019
I have heard that once you get a centrifuge, you can make solar panels with few clays glass and coal dust.
But This supplements the reason Gregtech is overpowered.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly vasouv, gregtech is not and was never meant to be a beginners mod, it's for established players to work towards. I guess the dislike comes from "messing" with other mods recipes.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Indeed, GregTech needs to be part of an advanced pack. The added complextity I think just overwhelms new players especially with all these other mods to learn, and could turn them off from FTB.
I know I'm still overwhelmed, and I'm familar with IC2, BC and RP from Tekkit. What with Forestry, Railcraft, Steve's Carts, Thermal Expansion and more to learn and integrate into my game play, GT is too much overload for me at the moment.

But I do like the idea of the centrifuge, so I may try and heavily adjust the config to strip GT down to it's more bare bones. All depends on the changes in 1.4.5.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I've also learned that the NEI recipes are confusing people because they rapidly change and rotate where multiple possibilities are present.

Lets for arguments sake take a recipe which has 4 rotating corner items which flick between 4 possible combinations, I found people are trying to match up 4 identical recipes of what's flashing in the recipe when in fact it's a LOT simpler than that.

The items which constantly rotate/change in a recipe can be all the same item. let me give you a working example from the FTB 1.4.2 beta pack.

The Solar panel is a good one as it is often used, taking the non-rotating items out of the equation (generator, carbon plate, glass panes and silicon cells) lets look at what items rotate in the last 2 slots:

Iron electron tube, bronze electron tubem, Iron AND gate, electronic circuit, Autarchic gate, medium circuit board, receiver circuit, Electronic circuit, Iron OR gate, redstone Golden Chip... I think that's all of them

You can use ANY of the above 2 items in those slots, so you can take 2 iron AND gates, the recipe will complete or 2 electronic circuits or 1 of each or any combination.

Froghandler

Jul 29, 2019
I love gregtech for my personal use, yet am unsure that it should be included in FtB as-is. It all depends on Slowpoke's and the rest of the team's intent on what FtB is.

Gregtech is a mod that extends Industrialcraft gameplay by adding new tech, and making getting some tech more difficult. It is a mod for hardcore players. It gives a progression excuse to build massive power infrastructures, which is something I enjoy. However if the purpose of FtB is to have the broadest appeal, it may not be good to include it as it is because of the risk of turning off people who don't want to spent loads of time developing such infrastructures, or newcomers who have difficulty figuring out recipes. On the other hand, over time Gregtech recipe differences may become moot, especially if there's a FtB wiki that newcomers can reference easily, instead of getting confused. I really have no clue about the dynamics of learning the mod outside my own experience.

Fine for me :) If Gregtech is not included or changed, I can add it myself manually or change configs; I just want to see FtB thrive. The first point to remember in any mod discussion is to think of things not that you want, but what are best for the pack.

Outside of hardcore recipe changes, I do find Gregtech a compelling, fun mod with tons of features I frequently use. The greatest is the Industrial Centrifuge: it's just plain good fun to get different materials from others, and expands options in factory production lines. As just one example of the 60 recipes, you can centrifuge rubber wood and get energy returns almost comparable to turning logs into scaffolds from the methane and plantballs.

The translocators, buffers, and sorters all work wonderfully as non-BC production line options, though they are expensive. That expense is what I would consider a good thing: it allows for the upgrading of your factory to premium high-tech, which is fun to do.

I haven't yet experimented with the Fusionreactor or the rest of the energy tech (beyond the always useful lithium batpacks) but I look forwards to doing so.

So at the very least: leave Gregtech in but change the recipes it changes back, because it adds some legitimately cool stuff anyone would enjoy. Whether or not to change the recipes back depends entirely on the intent of the mod pack.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I've also learned that the NEI recipes are confusing people because they rapidly change and rotate where multiple possibilities are present.

Lets for arguments sake take a recipe which has 4 rotating corner items which flick between 4 possible combinations, I found people are trying to match up 4 identical recipes of what's flashing in the recipe when in fact it's a LOT simpler than that.

The items which constantly rotate/change in a recipe can be all the same item. let me give you a working example from the FTB 1.4.2 beta pack.

The Solar panel is a good one as it is often used, taking the non-rotating items out of the equation (generator, carbon plate, glass panes and silicon cells) lets look at what items rotate in the last 2 slots:

Iron electron tube, bronze electron tubem, Iron AND gate, electronic circuit, Autarchic gate, medium circuit board, receiver circuit, Electronic circuit, Iron OR gate, redstone Golden Chip... I think that's all of them

You can use ANY of the above 2 items in those slots, so you can take 2 iron AND gates, the recipe will complete or 2 electronic circuits or 1 of each or any combination.
Indeed, it would be more useful if NEI would cycle the different item types in synch, so if 2 circuits are required, they are always shown as the same 2 circuits. NEI used to do this with the planks (in tekkit), all the woods would cycle together, now it's random.

DaRude

Jul 29, 2019
I love Gregtech. I personally think the balance is good as it is right now, maybe a a few small tweaks here and there. The new endgame content is awesome, gives me something hard-to-get to strive for, which I like a lot.
I realise this mod might not be for everyone cause of various reasons, but I hope it will stay in the mod-pack, at least as an optional add-on.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed, it would be more useful if NEI would cycle the different item types in synch, so if 2 circuits are required, they are always shown as the same 2 circuits. NEI used to do this with the planks (in tekkit), all the woods would cycle together, now it's random.
Yeah or if the little label when you hower over them didn't say the name of the item(and flicker off within the nanosecond), but "You can use any one of these: -list"

Adjgamer321

Jul 29, 2019
There needs to be toggle on or off for the WHOLE mod. In either the config for gregtech or in in the "Mods" on the gregtech tab.
(Yes, i signed up JUST to speak my piece about gregtech)

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
I believe gregtech is refreshing for those of us who have been playing with IC2 / BC for a long time. Challenge adds longevity to the game. The best answer is: try it and judge for yourself.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Now that I've played IC2/BC for a bit (Beta pack was my first go at it)... I could live with Gregtech and it would add some depth/complexity. But as a server admin, I have to be shy about it until there's a unified Wiki that demonstrates the changed recipes / functions.

I would like a simple GT type mod to make Mass Fabs require ALOT more power, and Matter Fabs to require an order of magnitude less with an expensive recipe...

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
There are goods and bads with GregsTech and a lot of things I would consider personal oppinion.

There are some things that people get wrong about GregsTech.

1. GregsTech does not make things a lot more difficult. Even in 1.4.5 where you need not only a centrifuge but also a Blastfurnace for the Solarpanel the Solarpanel is not much more expensive. What Gregs does is repositioning things within the Techtree. Once you have build up your infrastructure Gregs makes a lot of things a lot easier. Want to increase your energy-net? Use Lithium-Batteries to build MFEs instead of diamonds. You need more machines? Thanks to the use of electrum you get 2 circuits and 2 advanced circuits out of the recipies. You need alloy? Although you require a rolling-machine you can switch your precious tin with zinc which does not really have a use (you can centrifuge the dust for tin).

So what should you do different? (Note everything beyond is for 1.4.5, I haven't played 1.4.2 that much, since I upgrade FTB to 1.4.5 as soon as all the mods were released).

First setup Generators/Geothermals (however you like) and build your basic setup of compressor, extractor and macerator. Although the macerator is a bit more costly it should not be a big deal to get some diamonds for it. Since recently most macerator-recipies are also present in the pulverizer so you can go for the cheap version. You should note however, that some processes are still limited to the macerator (like macerating clay-blocks). You could work around this with an iron-mortar.

After you have this setup you need to store energy. You really want to have a centrifuge for producing nickel which you need for the blast-furnace. Also you can wrench your extractor to build the centrifuge with it, since the centrifuge gives 28 rubber for 8 resin, which is better as what you would have gotten via the extractor. With the centrifuge you are ready to build your blast-furnace. The Nickel-coils however need a rolling-machine. If you do not have some Buildcraft-Energy-Generation a single Stirling-Engine powered by charcoal would be enough, or just hook up an electric engine with your power-net. You need not only the blastfurnace-block but also 36 standard-machine-casings. Since the recipe always gets you 4, you need 18 circuits, 9 machine-blocks and 54 refined iron, or since the 9 machine-blocks are 72 refined iron you need 126 iron + 9 for the circuits if you build them via electrum (which you really should do). Although the iron might be tough at this point you now have a blast-furnace. The blast-furnace needs 128 EU/t, so power it with 4 batboxes. If you do not have a lot of generators running on charcoal you should only produce 2 steel-ingots at a time, since it needs 64.000 EU and will drain 16.000 of each batbox. Also try increasing your energy-production. TE with it's magma-crucible might help you, since it can easily power a geothermal and a magma-engine.

9i7no8.png

Something like this is a easy way to produce some EU :p

So what to do now? Well build your most favorite IC2-Item... the Mining-Drill oh and a Chainsaw. You should also create more and more steel for your Blastfurnace, since you want to turn your standard-casings into reinforced casings, which requires 54 pieces of steel and again alot of iron. You might just create a second blastfurnace, since they are not that fast.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
It looks like a fancier/more stylistic approach to the gimmick of having a Magma Crucible power itself + a Geothermal Generator when fed Netherrack.

Hawk Weisman

Jul 29, 2019
I really like how Gregtech forces mods to work together, instead of following their own separate tech trees, by doing stuff like making you use the Railcraft rolling machine to make mixed metal ingots. I do similar stuff on my server by making IC2 machines use Railcraft steel rather than IC2 refined iron. I also really like how it adds multiblock structures to IC2.

The one thing I really cannot handle about the mod though is Gregorius' spelling and grammar. I can't stand how he mashes words together, like 'Fusionreactor' or 'GregTech-Computercube', or how he Capitalizes random Words like This. Also, the textures really leave something to be desired, compared with mods like Railcraft.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure the general consensus is scattered, that's exactly why there are so many debates about it. If everyone liked or disliked it there wouldn't be any discussion...

As for the opinions, I think there are 3 main groups/opinions:
1) You like everything about GregTech
2) You hate everything about GregTech
3) You like some parts and you dislike others (most notably the recipe changes to other mods)

The discussion in general rages between 1 and 3, where the recipe changes are the biggest "issue". At least that's the idea I get from everything I've read and seen so far, because people who don't like anything about it just disable it, yet the people who like some parts dislike going into the config and adjusting it to their tastes.

Personally I belong in group 1, I like how it ties the different mods together and I like the extra challenge it offers.

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
After thinking the mod over, it seems like the best way to progress with GregTech is to never stop building resource allocation and take advantage of exponential gains. Unfortunately, pursuing that gameplay style could be detrimental to SMP servers or disallowed on some servers.
The main reason I'm having such a tough time with GregTech is that I have enough resources to build like 30 quarrys or like 60 mining turtles, but I'm holding myself back from doing so. The lack of a powerful sorting system is another thing, as processing such an enormous stream of materials can be overwhelming.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I was one of the people who said it looked interesting and put it in the mod request list, but it's not quite what it advertised itself to be when I liked what I saw.

Setting aside that disappointment, I came to frustration.

I can sum things up simply: "GT could be so amazing, if it wasn't so horrible."

Reactions: Greyed
Status
Not open for further replies.