GregTech

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
The debate thread was closed, several other threads that turned into Gregtech debates have been closed hence my post above.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I like the changes gregtech makes. My point of view being that of an old alpha player. back then diamonds were actually something you didn't spend lightly. however. with the advent of enchanting and silk touch/fortune this is no longer the case. I generally have enough diamonds to start going down either the tech route or the enchantment route by the time i come back up after my first real mining expedition. Without gregtech I wouldn't actually have to choose what way to go even. since i would have enough diamonds to get to the nanosuit stage without problems. It was actually more trouble getting enough books going for the enchantement library, and then getting a xp farm going than it was getting ore doubling and auto smelting. + powertools. that meant that by the time i started building the XP farm i would be decked out in nano suit, diamond drill and a chainsaw at the very least. maybe even a lappack too if i had found a nice batch of diamonds and lapis. Going to the nether was only for glowstone/jetpack. since with bc/Ic and log pipes i never had any need for doing much if anything in railcraft til after i had gotten to the godmode level with a Q-suit. without fail a large part of the vanilla minecraft stuff was obsoleted by IC2 even before you were done constructing the first base.

Now with gregtech set to hard mode, and TE set the same so that it actually takes diamonds to get all the early ore doubling machines going, i actually can't get to the nano suit/powertools stage til after i have made a couple of mining trips, as well as an extended trip to the nether.
Getting blazerods is not a big issue. and exploring to find a fortress is actually a fun challenge when you aren't decked out with uubertools/armor yet. I do not miss the Q-suit at all actually, and will happily forego it entirely if i feel that getting it is becoming grindy. however. if i happen to get enough iridium ore, then i will make one just because i can. I will probably get enough at any rate in any redpower based world, simply because RP2 is a resource gobbling monstrosity that adds stuff that make the inventor in me giggle like a mad scientist high on amphetamines.

To summarize. In order to get to the same level of goodmodeishness as what you can manage with one mining trip and a 2 minute jaunt into the nether for glowstone only with Ic2. Gregtech makes it so that you need to choose what you want the most, and then sending you on an epic journey trough the nether in search of treasure, And only then. when you have shown your worth, are you going to get the uubertools that IC2 gives you. Not to mention maybe even make some cool contraptions underways.

I for one carry my flame scorched bronze armor with pride. I never asked for invulnerability in a survival game. but that is what Ic2 gives, and far too cheaply to boot.

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
Second question.
Would Gregtech be easier to handle if there was some type of walkthrough/guide? do we think we could get the FTB wiki to that point?

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
The debate thread was closed, several other threads that turned into Gregtech debates have been closed hence my post above.

While this did happen there isn't anything wrong with people saying there our opinions. You will likely find that they were closed cos people were disagreeing with other people and then starting a flame war.

As I said in my other post. just say YOUR opinion and don't quote anyone else you will be fine. Just don't disagree with others.

Long story short. Say your own opinion that isn't aimed at anyone ;)

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Second question.
Would Gregtech be easier to handle if there was some type of walkthrough/guide? do we think we could get the FTB wiki to that point?
No. It would help people who were getting confused by recipe changes, but it wouldn't help people who want the easier electric tools and solar panels, it wouldn't help the torture of how long an Industrial Centrifuge takes to process Bauxite and other such things, and it wouldn't help how much of an utter grind its entire highly advanced machine tier is.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Second question.

I don't think it would be because it's not based on complexity, and the kind of content in the guide would likely reflect very poorly on the mod if it was done honestly or thoroughly.

For starters, you'll see a common response to complaints as, "If you don't like it, change it in the config." No other mod draws such constant references to the config in order to address user dissatisfaction, so telling people to change this, that, and the other thing just makes the mod look bad. If the mod was done properly in the first place, the config file wouldn't be the omnipresent solution to everything that was done wrong.

Additionally, a lot of the grievances directed at GregTech stem from the fact that it's just a grind. The mod author seems proud of the fact that you need to gather hundreds of stacks of something-or-other in order to make this or that thing that sounds cool but is functionally mediocre. How do you explain that to people without making it sound like it sucks? Trust me, the vast majority of people who proclaim with pride that they love grinding for obscene amounts of time tend to disappear in an awful hurry when you sit down and quantify in black and white just how ludicrous the requirements really are.

Also, it's really hard to tell people who are already familiar with IC2 and the other mods GregTech 'adjusts ' in the name of 'challenge' that familiar recipes and processes now have superfluous extra steps or outrageous material requirements.

The people who need menial tasks to call "challenging" in order to avoid truly challenging activities will love GregTech and they can sort out the nonsense on their own. There's no nice way to say the mod is awful.

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea of Gregtech but I think it’s nowhere near being implemented correctly in FTB. I watch some of the Mindcrack guys who go looking for stuff on a wiki, try to make it work only tofind out it won't and have no clue why until people post on their comments that its Gregtech. I think most of the rage/annoyance is because of things that from both new and old users of the mods. Maybe once the actual FTB wiki is the main source of info things will get better.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
How is it a grind to spend a hour or so mining at y=12 and then take a jaunt through the Nether naked with maybe an iron sword, I mean why can't others kill Ghasts with their own fireballs naked, I can, on hard (Wither skellies are still a pain though). So I guess I'm not avoiding truly challenging tasks I'm just moving the point where actual survival is not a problem any longer further forward with more involved things to build after that point so some may think Gregtech is an awful mod but I don't since it extends the somewhat pitiful degree of actual survival in this game quite well. The vast resources required by a lot of the machinery in Gregtech is great imo it means I have a reason to use the advanced mining methods, a reason to use a fortune and a silk touched diamond pick as well as that shiny adv diamond drill to gain those resources to make that cool thing that does stuff instead of just stockpiling loads of crap in various chests\barrels.

Edited to avoid pseudo quotes sorry.

Reactions: ff255away

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I enjoy it. I see why others don't. I am in the same boat as Antice really, without a mod like gregtech the game is just far far too easy in general. Sometimes players get to a point where dying is absolutely unheard of, with or without IC2. Gregtech encourages being more risky to get there faster, which in turn makes the entire game more fun. People complain about things like the centrifuge, which as I recall the longest craft I've ever used was 45 minutes - simple solution being to just build more centrifuges.

It really does make the survival point of the modded game last more than 1 hour. It means it takes more than 1 mining trip to be set for life, and a lot of people don't like that. Maybe it's because I've grown up on RPG's, but I don't personally mind going mining 2-3 times at the start of the game and iridium searching a dozen or so times in the nether (these trips tend to be short anyway). I can appreciate some people see it as grinding, but for me it's more the effort of finding that iridium as fast as possible. Getting the power to run the matter fabricator made me question the actual power of quantum armor and I am better off for it.

Overall: I love what it adds in principle. No mod is perfect all the time in practice, not even my beloved redpower sometimes.

Reactions: Xen0n

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
There isn't any survival in any minecraft game unless you go to the end. The mob AI is so simple that once you figure it out there's no way you can die from normal mobs. Even in the Nether the only issue are ghasts and those can be cirumventen bij simply not getting spotted. Some iron armor is all you need in the nether to survice.

Every single time I've died in Minecraft in the last year or so was because I wasn't paying attention and fell into lava or a pit.

That said: for me this game isn't about mobs anyway. If I could I would play without them. Minecraft is a big ass lego box that lets me build complex factories. Doing that takes long enough already and I don't need a mod to change basic recipies to require me to spend more time. I already am spending more time on a game than I should :)

Last but not least: if you want "hard" survival why don't people go explore the twilight forest? The boss mobs there are tougher than anything else in Minecraft really.

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech makes it so that you need to choose what you want the most, and then sending you on an epic journey trough the nether in search of treasure, And only then. when you have shown your worth, (...) maybe even make some cool contraptions.

I agree, and that's why I don't like the extra grind. I don't want to "prove my worth" before I can make cool contraptions. If grinding proves my own self-worth, I already proved it a hundred times over back when I still played WoW. In Minecraft, I would rather spend my time making cool contraptions.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
GT adds things that I probably will never use and has the audacity to alter what few things in IC2 that I might still use (A behavior which I believe no other mod does). As such it offers no real benefit to my play in Minecraft while offering a heapload of negatives. As such it, like most IC2 mods (and probably soon IC2 itself) gets disabled with undue glee.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Last but not least: if you want "hard" survival why don't people go explore the twilight forest? The boss mobs there are tougher than anything else in Minecraft really.

I feel this is likely aimed at me. Yes it was the first thing I did and I loved it, my main issues are (This post will cover my opinions on twilight forest: TL;DR, the mobs are too weak aside from the hydra)

Liches are too easy unarmed - Most of their hp is gone just form deflecting very easy to deflect bolts. I believe these guys should at the very least have more health, and preferably would also move around in p1/p2, not just teleport. This would make this more like a boss and less like a free ranged weapon + ender pearls. The lich should be the hardest boss, since the staves are by far the most powerful item these bosses can drop.

The naga is also flawed. If you have iron armor and a full health bar you will simply regen your health before the naga comes back for round 2. It's like fighting the ender dragon in full diamond enchanted on an infinite length platform. You just wait for it to attack you and hit it, then your health auto regens from it's hits. It also has very little health once again.

The hydra is the only real interesting boss here. I would prefer if it started with 7 heads, since this would destroy the localized terrain much quicker (and hydras are very hard to beat when there's no stable terrain around them, as I found out after a friend on my server died endlessly causing a field of explosion holes falling into caves). I feel the hydra is fine in general, it is balanced for what it drops (hydra chops)

The general mobs in the twilight are not dangerous - you have mosquito swarms that do 1-2 damage base it appears, and die in one iron sword hit. You have kobolds that are 1-2 shottable zombie pigmen that are inherently hostile. You have redcaps that... i don't know what they're meant to do.

Honestly, the wither is comparable to the hydra in lethality. The wither skull grind is also in my opinion worse than anything any mod on FTB has implemented.

Reactions: Confidential1207

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion this mod is awesome, it adds some cool stuff. The only two thing i could disagree with GregoriusT is the way it changes the recipes for metal and glowstone blocks, and how expensive the matterfabricator(I would say half of the iridium should be needed) is and how much power it uses.

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
For me there is really no point to it. All it does is add an endgame that I don't use because I see very little use for it. However, that is in 1.4.2. Maybe in 1.4.5 he has added something to make it useful.

But in the current FTB the only use I can see from it is to either have an absurd amount of EU (which I have no use for) or to make uu (again see very little use for). Those on my server who do Greg-tech seem to mostly enjoy it as a sort of bragging thing. A sort of thing where they log in and say "Woot! x-billion EU made last night!!" or "Woot! A stack of uu made last night!!" lol. I think it is great they have something to be excited about and proud of. But for the life of my I don't see what they use any of that for. From what I understand from them they use like 99% of that EU to make more UU that they never use. For myself that just seems silly. And the amount of work required for what seems to me to just be collectable items seems pointless to me.

All that however is fine by me. It is work others are doing for their own endgame. The one big thing that bothers me greatly about it however is how much his mod affects all the other mods, the vanilla game, and those wanting to play anything other than Greg's game. I would have no problem with his mod if it was contained to just his mods endgame. But it isn't. It tries to take over the entire game and make Minecraft solely about Greg-tech. For myself who don't care to play the game of uu collectables that really bothers me.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Why is this even being brought up AGAIN??

If you don't like it, remove it. SIMPLE.

If you like some of it but not all, gregtech has a comprehensive config file that's so easy even a caveman can do it.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Why is this even being brought up AGAIN??

If you don't like it, remove it. SIMPLE.

If you like some of it but not all, gregtech has a comprehensive config file that's so easy even a caveman can do it.

It's not the fact of liking or disliking it but more of expressing and telling others how they feel about this mod.

Opinions are fine as long as they stay with themself and not forced on others.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
It's not the fact of liking or disliking it but more of expressing and telling others how they feel about this mod.

Opinions are fine as long as they stay with themself and not forced on others.

My point was no matter what your opinion, there's an option.

Personally I found having my inventory re-arranging itself driving me crazy and deleted the inventory re-arranging mod. Simple and bothers nobody else. The same principle applies to any mod, so I don't understand why we need a "new" gregtech debate thread started every 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.