GregTech

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
My point was no matter what your opinion, there's an option.

Personally I found having my inventory re-arranging itself driving me crazy and deleted the inventory re-arranging mod. Simple and bothers nobody else. The same principle applies to any mod, so I don't understand why we need a "new" gregtech debate thread started every 2 days.

Debate - Argue about (a subject), esp. in a formal manner.

Where are being arguing? People are stating if they personalty liking it or not. Not if it should be there or not.

I'm leaving this thread open as it hasn't broken any rules. Closing this will most liking just start another that hasn't broken any rules either.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
In SSP, indeed, it's easy to switch mods off. And not that hard to edit config. But it can be messy in SMP, so I think modpacks should be engineered with SMP in mind. So people could just login to servers and play there without unnecessary problems. Say, there are two servers with GT, one with "hard" gt recipes, one with "easy". Should player edit configs each time he switch from one server to another?

GregTech is interesting enough to have it's own modpack in launcher. Preferrably governed by Greg himself, so he can arrange it along his ideas of balance.

And it will not hurt adding it to some other pack(s), with recipe overriding switched off in config (i.e. "easy" mode).

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Should player edit configs each time he switch from one server to another?

Yes. Of course with MultiMC that's trivial to do as you just have separate instances, each with their own config. While GT is probably the most contentious of the mods in FTB it certainly isn't the only one that server admins are going to [dis|en]able on their server. So it is a given that for any server you might want to connect to you're going to have to muck around with mods and configs.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I would say I enjoy GT. I do think some things are overkill. I think the bronze recipe from Forestry is a bit cheap if you are using IC2 ore generation, but accurate if you are using forestry ore generation. I never seem to have enough copper and tin using forestry ore gen. I shouldn't be able to do one mining run and have enough ore for every single forestry machine with just a stack of copper and a half stack of tin. I think there should be some trade-offs for this.

I will say I dislike the block-ingot recipes from GT. having to place the items in a compressor to make a block makes sense, it just doesn't seem right since it is counter to the normal vanilla mechanics and some metals from other mods are not affected by this and it ends up being confusing. (it will also mess with the crafter from factorization). I wouldn't mind if some of the rechargeable equipment takes steel to make (i.e. drills). It always seemed pretty cheap to me to be able to make a completely unbreakable pick/shovel within a few minutes of finding iron. That being said, I think the railcraft way of making steel is pretty well balanced in terms of time investment vs output, so I would disable the GT method and use the RC only if it is available. I like putting the ingots in the rolling machine for the metal alloys. It makes total sense, plus I can load up the machine, and just let it craft one after another.

I like the balance of the advanced solars mod that is in the FTB pack. The basic solar from IC2 is fine, but very limited in output. I like the fact that compact solars mod is not in the FTB pack. It makes me actually craft different things rather than just churn out a bunch of solar cells and link together with the correct transformer. It also gives an additional use for uranium.

I have never ever in my life created a quantum suit (except for the 1.2.5 FTB map). I have made nano armor a few times, but that's as far as I needed to go. There has always been a bunch more for me to set up and do than acquire quantum armor. That being said, I think there needs to be a bit more natural iridium ore available if the matter fabricator is going the be the uu-matter route. What happens when a server with a hundred or so different users all try to make a matter fabricator? Maybe the admin does something with the post/mailbox/trade-o-mat to make this possible, but the normal ore gen while sufficient for SSP, I don't think scales very well for that many users. People would have to go way, way out in order to find the ore, or make hundreds of mystcraft ages. Either way, I don't think it will be good for the server. Maybe an alternative way of getting the iridium. Maybe like getting diamonds from the rock crusher. It's possible, but it will take a while.

I do love the industrial centrifuges. It finally gives a good use for mycelium, extra lava, and a few other things. sure it's slow, but It's a start and forget type of application, so I'm fine with that. You just make multiples. :)

I can't say that I will get to the point where I can make some of the end-game equipment (like fusion reactors), as minecraft always seems to update when I start getting close to "end game", so the bottom line is that I enjoy what GregTech offers. There are a few inter-mod balances that need to happen, but I think the modpack creators have done a pretty good job so far.

<edit>GT also gives a route to process some of the "junk" items from other mods into items a bit more useful (like creating clay from mycelium or dirt) instead of just sending it to a recycler.</edit>

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech can be summed up in 1 word - MARMITE!!!

You either like it or you don't and it's worth pointing out it's not up to FTB whether it's added or not, or whether the config is altered or not, it's up to the server owners.

soflaz

Jul 29, 2019
I also enjoy GregTech. I especially enjoy the upgrades to reactor systems that it brings along with it. The increased difficulty is something to work toward. An end-game if you will. I see why that is disliked. However, for me, the machines and systems that GregTech extends and introduces are the gameplay and not just the infrastructure.

JustcallmeJJ

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion the main problem with Gregtech is that it was included in this version of FTB.
If it was included in a "FTB pro" mod pack with a message that it contains Gregtech and this mod changes a lot of recipes, these discussions wouldn't be held.

This would also avoid the confusion we see in the first time modded minecraft let's players like the deadworkers party.
In episode 10 they try to make an IC2 drill and discover that the recipe on the wiki doesn't work and I don't blame them that take the word of the wiki over NEI. Especially the IC2 wiki.

These are my 2 cents, currency determined by reader.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I've been thinking some more on this.

With all the upgrades in the top tier, how about an upgrade to the IC2 miner that silk touches minerals?

One of my pet peeves is that it expects you, after you've reached the point of automating everything, to still mine by hand.

Reactions: wonderprince302

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion, the best thing about GT is that it gives me a use for my UU matter. I don't have loads of it, but after making quantum armour, its not really that good (there are far quicker ways of getting diamonds or redstone or what have you). Admittedly, the endgame GT stuff isn't necessarily that useful either (when am I ever going to need all the energy that you get from a fusion reactor?), but some of it is good, such as the AESU (not too expensive and MFSU doesn't store very much, so I go for this). Its just nice to have an extra reason to play once you've achieved god-mode :)

Jul 29, 2019
I appreciate there's been a lot of threads about Gregtech but I've only just discovered the full implications of it today. :S

I was really really enjoying FTB until this evening. I'd forced myself to start playing without Redpower - painful, painful decision - but felt pretty good about adapting to life without EE2 and all the extra effort that required. I've been having fun learning Railcraft. Mystcraft has been amazing. Thermal Expansion is a complete revelation in terms of useability and accessibility for early stage play. Forestry is a pain in the neck but it's very useful, and has helped with everything else. Lots to learn, and it's great. Everything's felt fair and interesting and fun. Surprisingly balanced, actually. Whenever I got an advantage it felt like I'd done something clever to earn it.

Today, however, I thought it was about time I built a mass fabricator. I wanted to make some of the 2nd tier of advanced solar panels and discovered I needed UU Matter. No problem. Mass fabricator will be slow, but that's fine. No rush.

That's when I discovered that I couldn't make a mass fabricator. I need a new block called a Matter Fabricator. It needs Iridium to make, which needs UU Matter which I can't make without a Matter/Mass Fabricator. Hmm.

At first I thought, oh, okay, I can make Iridium with a fusion generator according to NEI! Great! That's an interesting mechanic - you need Fusion to run the new Matter Fabricator so it makes sense that it would be a prerequisite. Very cool! Now I see the point of this mod!

No such luck. A Matter Fabricator is a prerequisite of a Fusion Reactor which is a prerequisite of a Matter Fabricator which is a prerequisite of a Fusion Reactor.

Awesome. So I need to dig the Iridium out of the ground then? Oh. Problem is, I don't like problems where the only solution is mindless repetition of a tediously dull task for some undefined period of time. This isn't fun.

This is just my opinion, of course, but changing configs isn't really a practical option for people playing on servers that they don't control, nor is expecting all players to change configs to match servers. You can't even get people to put stuff in the right chest never mind update config files. The server I'm playing on will use whatever is in the pack, out of the box, for better or worse. We're trusting the mod pack authors to put together the best experience overall.

But my gut feeling is that Gregtech is a pretty esoteric mod aimed at a small minority of ultra-serious and ultra-hardcore players rather than the mainstream. I can see why it has appeal, but it seems to be a highly, highly opinionated mod which seems out of keeping for FTB as a whole. All the other mods seem pretty flexible about how you work through them or what you use them for. Gregtech seems to be leaving me no options other than 'cheat' or 'grind', and I can't even cheat.

If the config of the final mod pack isn't set in stone, I beg the mod pack authors to please, please consider making the full GregTech IC2 override experience part of a dedicated modpack for those ultra-hardcore players that will appreciate it. Opt in rather than opt out. If possible.

Thanks.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
If the config of the final mod pack isn't set in stone, I beg the mod pack authors to please, please consider making the full GregTech IC2 override experience part of a dedicated modpack for those ultra-hardcore players that will appreciate it. Opt in rather than opt out. If possible.
Thanks.

As far as I know (This may have changed since) GregTech will only be in the ultimate pack and also disabled by default ;)
For the server configs well I have no idea guess it's up to the server owner.

;)

Also i would like to thank everyone that hasn't made this thread into a debate and just made it a thread stating your own opinions. Much love for all of you =)

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome. So I need to dig the Iridium out of the ground then? Oh. Problem is, I don't like problems where the only solution is mindless repetition of a tediously dull task for some undefined period of time. This isn't fun.
Whether to grind through it or not is one decision.
Whether to destroy the gameplay of everyone else on the server to achieve it is another. :x

When you actually get the Matter Fabricator with those configs, you'll quickly realize that it'll still be faster to mine for the Iridium.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
I have thought about this a lot and are enjoying the points put across by people.

I think the crux of the problem is that Gregtech takes away from the lego block, create massive machines that do bugger all but are fun to build and pushes you down a path that is very linear. It has stripped away the alternative methods of playing with IC2 and makes you go only down the most efficient path because no other path will work. You either drain the nether of lava, abuse mystcraft dense ores and slowly upgrade your solar panels or you leave Gregtech and IC2 alone.

I have built an intensive farming situation with railcraft/steves carts/forestry/IC2 building towards generating power from bio-generators. Thought, awesome... this will power this matter fabricator and is something different than everyone else on my server that is draining the nether of lava. I do the math.... no such luck. All those other mods, all working together just don't stand a chance of producing the needed power. I just have to use Gregtech, and pretty much Gregtech alone. This is disappointing and takes away from having all the other cool mods in the game.

It is controversial because it is a stand out when it comes to unbalanced. It may make the game harder, but it does not balance it... it completely unbalances it when put in a mod pack with other mods balanced around IC2. It forces a very linear path and offers the option of 'use me and me alone or be under powered'. FTB is made for servers, has been said a few times and so altering configs does not offer an option. Means I will probably go back to SSP when 1.45 drops cause I dont want to be the one who is still using a jetpack with my amazing machines that do bugger all.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Zivel, did you perhaps overlook this post?:
As far as I know (This may have changed since) GregTech will only be in the ultimate pack and also disabled by default ;)
For the server configs well I have no idea guess it's up to the server owner.

;)

Also i would like to thank everyone that hasn't made this thread into a debate and just made it a thread stating your own opinions. Much love for all of you =)

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech is starting to grow on me a little bit. The spelling and grammar issues on item names are driving me mad, though. I hope the update fixes those.

Reactions: Xen0n

Cloud

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to start with thermal expansion machines since I find them much faster and efficient than ic2 machines. The steam engine is quite easy to set up using aqueous accumulators and forestry tree farms for fuel. It is a easy way to get power without draining from the nether (flowing lava always cause my fps to drop.) I find greg tech makes it so ic2 a harder but more rewarding path and thermal expansion the easier one but not much endgame content other than building more machines to speed things up.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Aaaaand there's the argument. We made it 3 pages, woot!

Sort of ironic it came immediately after the mod post commending people for not turning it into a debate. While I hope I'm not stepping out of line here:

For me at least this thread is generally interesting - but if people cause a debate it is going to cause less new people to contribute their opinions. Can we please hold off on the debates? I disagree with things some people said, too, but I don't want to take the thread off-purpose and hopefully you will feel the same

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I love gregtech.

I love the recipe nerfs.

I love the recipe boosts. (bronze/iron tubes instead of electronic circuits? TAKE MY MONEY)

I love the centrifuge.

I love that it has taught me to use factorization, and railcraft, and steves carts, and thermal expansion. Very good mods, all of them, which I'd opt out of, it it wasn't for gregtech.

I actually made a survivalist pickaxe for the first time in my life. I actually made a diamond pickaxe before electric tools. I used iron armor for the first time in forever.

I used to hate the iridium requirement for the matterfab, then came to realize that I can automate it with turtles and quarries and have a plenty of time for what I love best:

Building. I finally found the time to build, usually I rush for godhood and then wonder why the fuck am I so bored. Not so now.

Thank you Greg.

Status
Not open for further replies.