Gregtech & the omniwrench

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Should greg allow the omniwrench to be used on his machines?

• Total voters

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I helped move my shop class across campus. It was'nt really that hard. The best part? The only part that needed a wrench to move was the belt sander. And that was because it was to wide for the door.
Yeah, well, good enough I guess. Little accident do tend to happen when you move machines though. A fuse breaks from shock, cables get plugged in wrong, bolts aren't tight enough, bolts are so tight they break, a bit falls off due to corrosion. Many of these things happen if you use the wrong tool, use a monkey wrench instead of a wrench and if the bolt's too tight, then you'll turn the hexagon on its head into a cylinder :D. OTOH these things are usually pretty trivial to fix and you're not left with a hollow case, and it sure as hell doesn't explode. Also you don't really need to unscrew any bolts when you're moving machines that are a metric cube in size. You just pick 'em up and move 'em.

So yeah, as I've said, I'm with you, I really am. I was just nitpicking :D.

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, well, good enough I guess. Little accident do tend to happen when you move machines though. A fuse breaks from shock, cables get plugged in wrong, bolts aren't tight enough, bolts are so tight they break, a bit falls off due to corrosion. Many of these things happen if you use the wrong tool, use a monkey wrench instead of a wrench and if the bolt's too tight, then you'll turn the hexagon on its head into a cylinder :D. OTOH these things are usually pretty trivial to fix and you're not left with a hollow case, and it sure as hell doesn't explode. Also you don't really need to unscrew any bolts when you're moving machines that are a metric cube in size. You just pick 'em up and move 'em.

So yeah, as I've said, I'm with you, I really am. I was just nitpicking :D.

Lol, I'm not arguing for or against, I'm just stating things that've happened to me in relation with wrenches and moving machines.

In all honesty, I'd prefer if i could just right click with an empty hand on a machine block and pick it up.

Or if you wanted to be realistic, You've got to make a dolly to move machines and blocks around. That's really how it should be done. None of this wrench stuff.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I think Greg should be allowed to develop his mod as he sees fit.

TBH the real problem is that GregTech is forced on to us carebears through FTB Ultimate.
People must either genuinely like GregTech or are too dumb to configure their servers config. It's that or they are afraid they will mess something up on their server?
So finding a no GregTech server is difficult unless you make your own which takes money and effort some people just do not want to afford.

There was a time where a carebear could ignore most of GregTech as the steel tool progression gate did not exist. But then for the sake of someone elses idea of balance you now have to go to the nether and hunt down Magma Simes and blazes to make the blast furnace for steel.
Essentially cockblocking you from them mining drill early game. Thing is this was Gregs intention and if I could ignore it I couldn't complain but you can't play SMP FTB Ultimate and ignore it.

Essentially Greg can do as he pleases, it's his mod and he should develop it as he sees fit and to his original specifications. But the FTB team should realize that Greg's mod is not a fun experience for some and blocks a lot of mods out. I hardly use IC2 now since GregTech I opt for the easier Thermal Exchange especially since it added the Energy Cell making MJ's more storable.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I hardly use IC2 now since GregTech I opt for the easier Thermal Exchange especially since it added the Energy Cell making MJ's more storable.

Funny, because nothing in IC2 that is equivalent to anything TE does is changed by my install of GregTech.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Funny, because nothing in IC2 that is equivalent to anything TE does is changed by my install of GregTech.
Huh? Either you play solo and have tweekd the config or you are implying your experience hasn't changed. Macerators require diamonds in GT hardmode, are you saying this is different for you?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Huh? Either you play solo and have tweekd the config or you are implying your experience hasn't changed. Macerators require diamonds in GT hardmode, are you saying this is different for you?

I'm saying that my experience, in the game I play, of the (tiny, tiny) portion of the game where IC2 and TE do similar things, GregTech has not modified IC2 at all. Playing solo has nothing to do with this (I in fact, do not) and "tweekd" configs is just good form for all servers.

Specifically, Macerators do not require diamonds in my game, and I still have yet to build one. The primary reason you don't use IC2 for that early game portion is because IC2 is inferior. Not because GregTech has modified it.

Reactions: EternalDensity

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I'm saying that my experience, in the game I play, of the (tiny, tiny) portion of the game where IC2 and TE do similar things, GregTech has not modified IC2 at all. Playing solo has nothing to do with this (I in fact, do not) and "tweekd" configs is just good form for all servers.

Specifically, Macerators do not require diamonds in my game, and I still have yet to build one. The primary reason you don't use IC2 for that early game portion is because IC2 is inferior. Not because GregTech has modified it.

Umm no, I don't use IC2 becasue Gregtech has modified some of the items requirements. I.e Drills require steel, Diamond drills require Titanium. If I can't use mining drills I don't really need EU as ore processing's done by TE as GregTech made it more difficult to make a macerator. I personally don't use IC2 anymore becasue of GregTechs progression blocks.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Because industrial machinery isn't basic, and the IC2 system adds a layout mechanic to early game. In a sense, you are rewarded for clean planning and punished for sloppiness.

That just sounds like terrible gamedesign to me, sorry.[DOUBLEPOST=1371024087][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hah, this is silly because I'm kinda with you on this, but really, how many machines have you actually moved IRL? :D

Last time I had to move a laundry machine (curse them and their weight) it exploded and took out half of my house because I looked at it funny.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I think Greg should be allowed to develop his mod as he sees fit.

No one is arguing that.

TBH the real problem is that GregTech is forced on to us carebears through FTB Ultimate.
People must either genuinely like GregTech or are too dumb to configure their servers config. .

It's not a matter of being dumb. The problem is that if a server admin changes the configs he also has to play support for all the people playing on his server who don't know where to find configs and how to edit them. That's why most servers just use the default configs; server admins want to play the game, not spend most their time helping people get in.

It's a big fail on the part of the launcher: it should have allowed server admins to distribute private config packs, not private mod packs. Unfortunately all I've seen for the new launcher is 'pretty' graphics and no real changes.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
It's not a matter of being dumb. The problem is that if a server admin changes the configs he also has to play support for all the people playing on his server who don't know where to find configs and how to edit them. That's why most servers just use the default configs; server admins want to play the game, not spend most their time helping people get in.

It's a big fail on the part of the launcher: it should have allowed server admins to distribute private config packs, not private mod packs. Unfortunately all I've seen for the new launcher is 'pretty' graphics and no real changes.

Yes, such a feature would be great.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Oh you accidentally tripped while carrying that HugeassTM85" pseudo-plasma TV that cost shitzillion euros/yens/rupees/gil? No problem! You just lost few hours of your life that you spent making the money for the said TV.

Thanks, real-life retarded logic!

who can carry an 85" tv?!

and I was talking that when you place it down and want to move it somewhere else, it gets destroyed/blows up your house.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
The primary reason you don't use IC2 for that early game portion is because IC2 is inferior. Not because GregTech has modified it.

Actually, I do. I even use the GregTech modified macerator recipes. Not because its superior or inferior, but because thats what I prefer.

Reactions: Jadedcat

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I do. I even use the GregTech modified macerator recipes. Not because its superior or inferior, but because thats what I prefer.

Then you like using inferior architecture. Sure, whatever.. You're also not who I was replying too. The person I was replying too made a specific comment that they don't use early IC2.