Gregtech & the omniwrench

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Should greg allow the omniwrench to be used on his machines?

• Total voters

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Why do all the haters use Gregtech anyway?

I find interesting all the new machines and dusts, the nerfs however, are 100% disabled.

besides, of course, his retarded MMingots, tin buckets and scaffolds, because you can't really disable them since his ego is too high to go down and take 2-3 seconds to do another line of code.

Reactions: Chocorate

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
A modded minecraft game doesn't need GregTech, but if it doesn't have GregTech then IC2 should be removed as well.

The only exception is decent flight with a decent keyboard control, and even IC2s isn't providing it, but rather the mod that does requires IC2. Every other flight in the game is creative style controls, because such controls are easy, and it's horrible.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
A modded minecraft game doesn't need GregTech, but if it doesn't have GregTech then IC2 should be removed as well.

The only exception is decent flight with a decent keyboard control, and even IC2s isn't providing it, but rather the mod that does requires IC2. Every other flight in the game is creative style controls, because such controls are easy, and it's horrible.

I still don't understand why you're so opposed to mps flight, it's very similar to jetpack flight, it's just more vertical.

Also, this message is elite, I'm just glad xenforo doesn't show the amount of posts under the avatar next to every message, otherwise I'd probably never post again :D.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I still don't understand why you're so opposed to mps flight, it's very similar to jetpack flight, it's just more vertical.

Also, this message is elite, I'm just glad xenforo doesn't show the amount of posts under the avatar next to every message, otherwise I'd probably never post again :D.

MPS has pretty flighty controls. I have to turn off my boosts all the time to make it through doors and stuff.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
I find interesting all the new machines and dusts, the nerfs however, are 100% disabled.

besides, of course, his retarded MMingots, tin buckets and scaffolds, because you can't really disable them since his ego is too high to go down and take 2-3 seconds to do another line of code.
It's not a goddamn nerf, you get three times more output from the same input as normal ICSquared. The only difference is the plate bending machine requires, which makes logical sense.

Sent from boobs (because why not?)

Reactions: EternalDensity

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why none of these threads ever mention "don't use gregtech"

because if you tell people to not use it, uninstall it, or edit the configs it becomes a whole new flame war about how they should not have to do any of those things. Or they bring up the rightful point that sometimes they don't have that option because they are on a server. (why they don't take it up with the admin or go to another server IDK)

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Whoa whoa whoa, the GT MMI was something I actually liked. Then again it was also something that was cheaper, and I like cheaper. Being able to make MMIs without using my precious tin was awesome. Even better that the brass recipes doesn't do the bronze thing and gives back 4 dusts instead of 2. Triple the output of IC2 for just a little extra work.

I kinda miss it.

Why do you miss it? Did he release a version that removed using plates for MMIs or something? Cause I'm in the v0.5 beta pack and can make MMIs by using just the plate bender.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
MPS has pretty flighty controls. I have to turn off my boosts all the time to make it through doors and stuff.
Don't jetpack through doors :p

Because Ultimate servers without GT or on easy mode are less common than ones with default settings. Plus to get the best use the client and server configs would need to be synced. If the FTB team would add a way of changing between easy and hard mode in the launcher, there would be much less issue since servers could just tell the players to click the easy option rather than having them download a config file and replace it themselves(and every time the pack updates which many would forget to do). Not everyone is tech savvy and most using modpacks do so so they do not have to mess with configurations.
Good point. There'd be less arguments about GT if it was easier for non-savvy folks to use it in a way that would be good for them.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Because Ultimate servers without GT or on easy mode are less common than ones with default settings.

Then take it up with the modpack designer. They, at least, can view the balance of the system as a whole and have a target set of mods to balance for. The reason mod authors don't balance for your setup is because your setup isn't the same as anybody elses.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Then take it up with the modpack designer. They, at least, can view the balance of the system as a whole and have a target set of mods to balance for. The reason mod authors don't balance for your setup is because your setup isn't the same as anybody elses.
Thats exactly the problem here. Greg is taking away options. Its one thing to change things with configs but the latest greg stuff its even harder to undo some of his stuff. Like why not add an option to allow the omniwrench in the configs? It would have prevented this ENTIRE debate. But no greg doesnt play by the sensible rules you say he does.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

This is a canny point. Greg's modpack very configurable. Almost overwhelmingly so.

"OP" and "underpowered" and "nerfed" are complaints that only makes sense within the context of a modpack and therefore are really not Greg's problem.

That said, Greg's balance considerations are so brittle they're a little tricky to balance against. It's very easy to render most of Gregtech invalid.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
IMHO the ability to move machines around shouldn't require continual resource use. This is why the omniwrench really ought to work (and would be best to work well) with everything. Sure, modders can do whatever they like with their own mod (so omniwrench does kinda overstep that) but the ability to have one tool to work on all the things kinda trumps that for me. We can't tell modders what to do but we can tell them that we don't like what they've done. (And if they ignore us then we can either put up with it, complain harder, or find something else. If we really want something fixed that only leaves complaining harder and if the modder still doesn't want to change, well that's their right but a lot of people end up upset and frustrated. Which is inevitable cos you can't please everybody. Well I guess you can if you have enough config options but... oops I'm rambling in parentheses.)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Regardless if GT should allow the Onmiwrench to work with it by default... the new version of Omnitool DOES.

And I still think that the Omniwrench is a bit cheap. It's very handy and I love it, I just think it's pretty cheap. Not cheap as in "too powerful", cheap as in inexpensive. I mean, the hardest part to get is the cyan dye and with BoP that's easy because of all the flowers. I would suggest adding a selection of Config choices for increasing the cost. Nothing too crazy.(unless there is a GT mode which should require 1 iridium plate, two tungsten plates, and something fancy in the middle instead of wool. Maybe a Lithium Battery)

Anyway, since OmniTools is updated and works with GT again, I don't think I'll be paying attention to this thread anymore.

Reactions: Poppycocks

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
Regardless if GT should allow the Onmiwrench to work with it by default... the new version of Omnitool DOES.

And I still think that the Omniwrench is a bit cheap. It's very handy and I love it, I just think it's pretty cheap. Not cheap as in "too powerful", cheap as in inexpensive. I mean, the hardest part to get is the cyan dye and with BoP that's easy because of all the flowers. I would suggest adding a selection of Config choices for increasing the cost. Nothing too crazy.(unless there is a GT mode which should require 1 iridium plate, two tungsten plates, and something fancy in the middle instead of wool. Maybe a Lithium Battery)

Anyway, since OmniTools is updated and works with GT again, I don't think I'll be paying attention to this thread anymore.
Wow it works again? That is hilarious

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I just read this whole thread. Personally I don't use GT, but I don't see what is wrong with the OmniWrench working on his machines. The IC2 wrench mechanic was weird to begin with and Omnitools allowed people to spend two diamonds on a wrench that a) Will not break, b) Works with most mods and c) Does not have a chance of breaking machines. Is that really too OP for anyone?
Whoever said that Eloraam does not communicate with anyone and Greg does, along with all the other modders, is completely wrong. Eloraam did do a fairly good job at communicating with other modders and even with her userbase, until she disappeared. Whereas Greg makes no effort to talk to any modders about the changes he is making to their mods, and whether they are okay with him changing xyz about their mods.
On another note, does Greg not have a standalone mod that disabled infinite water? Why doesn't he put all of his changes to other mods into one mod, and have his IC2 addon be just an IC2 addon (and BC/UE if he wants).

Reactions: Dravarden

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
On another note, does Greg not have a standalone mod that disabled infinite water? Why doesn't he put all of his changes to other mods into one mod, and have his IC2 addon be just an IC2 addon (and BC/UE if he wants).

The problem is that Greg thinks that his way is the 'best' way. He should have separated the "new stuff" from the "messing with other mods stuff" into separate mods long ago. That would mean that instead of having to go through tedious config files you could just disable the "messing with other stuff" mod completely.

Thing is: if you really take a good look at GT there really is not that much 'new stuff' to begin with. He basically started with adding new tiers of IC2 stuff that simply takes a LONG time to craft, uses much more power, blows up if you look at it funny and gives slightly better results than the base machines. Most of the stuff in his pack is just Gregified versions of machines from other mods like BC or TE. The only thing that's really original is the fusion reactor which I think is fun to automate if it weren't for the rediculous amount of GT machines you need to support it. 144 centrifuges, really? Hello server lag!

Reactions: RedBoss

Roady

Jul 29, 2019
Not orient them but pick up machines without them breaking into machine blocks
Don't get me wrong I love your mod(s) just I think the wrench needs some durability say maybe 2/3 of diamond tools? So ~ 1000

You know, I'd argue that making blocks explode or change into other blocks for wanting to change its orientation or location is bad game-design.
It overly punishes simple miss-clicks without adding depth in how to design/build stuff.
Of course if that same thing doesn't happen with certain tools, than that is another thing. Now you have the choice of either wasting stuff, or use the appropriate tool. (however, that also makes you wonder, do you really want to make the game into: remember the right tool to use? Also the nature of that choice makes it a non-choice: Use the tool or else)