Gregtech Digital Chest?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If the digital chest showed you what was inside them, then I'd consider them, since they don't it makes finding items you want a pain in the backside.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
ok then use AE it's even simpler lol - export with the item in the export filter :p
That's the thing, I wanna use the AE storage bus with them.

No seriously, I love those chests, only thing missing is an auto-output option.[DOUBLEPOST=1365545072][/DOUBLEPOST]
If the digital chest showed you what was inside them, then I'd consider them, since they don't it makes finding items you want a pain in the backside.
http://ae-mod.info/ME-Storage-Monitor/ ;)

Seriously though, it's the perfect solution. Router with thoroughness/bandwidth for filling things in, storge buss for integrating with your AE, Monitors for putting amounts on display. And a nice little overflow chest. The best part is that you you won't even lose items even if you suck it dry, like you will if you use deep storage.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I spent some good 30 minutes trying to figure the bloody electriccraftingohmygodwhystheresomanywordsheretable.

Not fun.

HOWEVER, next version has tooltips, lovely, useful, shiny tooltips.

Looking forward to the tooltips. I confess to taking much longer to work out how the darned thing works, and even then there are settings that I have no idea about!

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously though, it's the perfect solution. Router with thoroughness/bandwidth for filling things in, storge buss for integrating with your AE, Monitors for putting amounts on display. And a nice little overflow chest. The best part is that you you won't even lose items even if you suck it dry, like you will if you use deep storage.

Waiiitasec, where have I seen that setup? heh

For what its worth, I suck one of those deep storage dry and there's no problem with other items getting in. You can either filter the storage interface, or just have some storage with a higher priority. Preferred is to filter it, so that way it will refill over the storage interface instead of just your router.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I think Greg implemented the digital chest as a way of having lots of item storage without needing any other mods installed (other than IC2 obviously).

Even if you think they're pointless, I think you can configure the amount it stores. If you STILL think its pointless, then there's always the quantum chest.

Ville Saari

Jul 29, 2019
There is one serious deficiency in Digital Chests compared to Barrels:

Digital/Quantum Chests refuse to take any item with nbt data. You can click a virgin chest with such an item and it will set the filter, but it won't accept any items in. I guess that's because it drops the nbt data when setting the filter, so the filter won't match the actual item any more. For example if I try to insert a Meadows Drone in it, it sets the filter but won't take the item. Afterwards the filter will say just "Drone", so it registered the item type, but not the genome.

Factorization Barrels work fine with such items and will even accept multiple items if their nbt datas match exactly. You can store enchanted items, renamed items, power tools, bees, forestry saplings and even container items with stuff inside like Backbags or Canvas Bags. The only items they refuse to take are damaged tools but only if manually inserted. When the item comes from a pipe or tube, then even the damaged tools go in. And they retain their damage value, so another tool won't stack unless it has identical amount of damage.

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
The reason Greg implemented digital chests, as an alternative to barrels, is that there is no render lag. Go into a room full of barrels with items, and your fps will drop. The chests have no such image, so they are kinder to your system. I agree that they shouldn't be used instead of barrels if you want an extensive sorting system...as finding things might be frustrating...but, they can be emptied and still maintain it's item filter, unlike barrels.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Then make the display toggle-able. The non-item 3d display makes them worse than barrels.

Hi im gregtech and i require a monitor for this digital chest oh but the monitor doesn't display shit lulz

ghaFyVO.png

And dont tell me to make 3dframes like some sort of uncivilized rapscallion.

Reactions: RedBoss