gregtech block breaker nerf

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
*sigh* My point wasn't about work hours. My point was doing something else other then bickering. Some people will never change their minds. Even with a mound of evidence they don't bend. As that video on another thread stated play as you want to play. No one will hurt since this is a sandbox game. If this was some competitive MOBA style game then sure balance can be thrown around but this isn't. If Drav wants to play were he clicks an empty box on his crafting grid to get 20 stacks of diamond blocks let him. If ILoveGregTech want to play where dirt costs four stacks of nether stars let him. It is okay.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
for starters, your computer running my code DOES NOT make that your code, so let's knock that shit off right now.
If you buy a box of Lucky Charms cereal, does that box of cereal belong to General Mills? No, it belongs to you. The name and logo and recipe belong to General Mills, but the box and its contents belong to you. You can do whatever you want with them. You can add milk, sugar, cinnamon, chocolate, caramel, even jalapenos if you really want to. And if you only like the marshmallows, you can pick those out and eat em and throw the rest of the cereal away. Or vice versa. General Mills has absolutely no control over how you consume Lucky Charms cereal once you leave the store.

Peter_Gunnn

Jul 29, 2019
If you buy a box of Lucky Charms cereal, does that box of cereal belong to General Mills? No, it belongs to you. The name and logo and recipe belong to General Mills, but the box and its contents belong to you. You can do whatever you want with them. You can add milk, sugar, cinnamon, chocolate, caramel, even jalapenos if you really want to. And if you only like the marshmallows, you can pick those out and eat em and throw the rest of the cereal away. Or vice versa. General Mills has absolutely no control over how you consume Lucky Charms cereal once you leave the store.

if you buy a windows license, does that software belong to microsoft? yes, of course it does. the physical disk might be your property, but the information it contains is 100% not yours. like lucky charms, you are not free to do whatever you want with it. for example, you are not free to reverse engineer their product or redistribute it. there are limits and those limits are decided by it's owner, i.e. not you.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
for starters, your computer running my code DOES NOT make that your code, so let's knock that shit off right now.
He never said it was your code. He isn't even editing your code. He just said he can run your code in whichever way he wants. Without GregTech, or with GregTech, or through a virtual machine that shoots a bunny out of a cannon every time the computer makes a loud noise. GregTech does not actually modify other mods' code.

it's a 3rd party performing these alterations, without consent of the owner
The 3rd party doesn't need consent of the owner as he's not performing alterations.

or knowledge of the end user.
That's your own fault.

and if you don't think apple carefully dictates the experience of using its products, and defends its right to do so exclusively, then i invite you to the year 2013.
I can make a program that makes iTunes flash red and green just fine.

my mod has yams. modder x doesn't like yams, so through obfuscation changes my yams to potatoes. according to you, he is in the right to do so.
i decide i don't like iridium, so through obfuscation i change iridium to zombie flesh. according to you, i am in the wrong.
I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

through obfuscation
You keep using that word, I don't think you know what it means.

Jul 29, 2019
You are not free to redistribute or reverse engineer a windows os because it takes money to develop from nothing. If competitor reverse engineers the os they can undercut Microsoft because they don't have to recover as much money before they turn a profit. You are talking about businesses and products. Copyright, trademark and patents are designed to protect trade. Modders are not businesses, they do not sell a product. They have no research and development costs to recover, because it is something they choose to do with their free time.

They put out their "vision", they lose nothing by another mod making changes to that vision. I would even go so far as to say it actually frees a modder to continue to do what they want to do, because instead of having to deal with people telling you how to change your mod, you can say "You might want to look into this version someone else did." They are happy, you are not being bombarded with "nerf this, buff that, etc." If anything copyright should only be used in modding communities to keep mods free, and to prevent commercial interests from profiting from content that was lifted from modding communities.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
You are not free to redistribute or reverse engineer a windows os because it takes money to develop from nothing. If competitor reverse engineers the os they can undercut Microsoft because they don't have to recover as much money before they turn a profit. You are talking about businesses and products. Copyright, trademark and patents are designed to protect trade.
You are right about redistributing, but reverse engineering for some purposes is legally protected in some places.

Modders are not businesses, they do not sell a product. They have no research and development costs to recover, because it is something they choose to do with their free time.
Correct, but copyright and patent law still applies to them. (Not sure about trademarks)

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
if you buy a windows license, does that software belong to microsoft? yes, of course it does. the physical disk might be your property, but the information it contains is 100% not yours. like lucky charms, you are not free to do whatever you want with it. for example, you are not free to reverse engineer their product or redistribute it. there are limits and those limits are decided by it's owner, i.e. not you.
Of course you can't redistribute it. That would be using the recipe and the name and logo, which I acknowledged are still owned by the creator. I am, however, free to tweak and edit my own copy of windows however I want. And other people can even release tools that do the tweaking for me! For instance, the program called Rain Meter completely changes the Windows Desktop. And Microsoft doesn't go crying about how their feelings are hurt by people not liking the original desktop...

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps that's why this optional change is off in the default configuration. Perhaps the person who specifically requested it didn't play with MFR installed.
Was MFR even in any packs when that option was added?

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Distribution of your work, even modified, would be illegal and violation of copyright.

Making a game changing mod that modifies your mod is not distribution of your work. Just like the original mod does not distribute Minecraft, Mod B which modifies Mod A does not actually distribute Mod A.

Again, I am NOT making a point about the legality of the issue, I am well aware its not breaking any laws.
Read what i was replying to.

Sengir

Jul 29, 2019
While what Sengir did in Forestry does not compare to your proposed action, it would still be considered a trojan horse. As I was not an injured party in that conflict, I could not file charges.[DOUBLEPOST=1364172241][/DOUBLEPOST]

A Trojan horse, or Trojan, is a non-self-replicating type of malware which appears to perform a desirable function but instead facilitates unauthorized access to the user's computer system.

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

(If only I had a nickel for every time someone threatened legal action or claimed a few troll bees somehow constituted illegal action. The very notion is patently absurd to anyone with even a basic grasp of the underlying legal concepts. But, oh well: http://xkcd.com/386/)

P.S: No, Forestry never "corrupted" worlds, except in Kaker's fevered imagination.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
did anyone actually answer his question?

http://i.imgur.com/dt9G333.png

you can use equivalents too of course, say diamond grinder instead of wolframium etc.
Not really, they'd rather give each other death threats over whether using a mod in your pack is illegal... or something. Because nobody codes mods for fun I guess.

I'm actually fairly okay with the nerf, it's just that it looks so out of place! Like, it's a bunch of rocks with a huge diamond sawblade in it. How does that work?!

Reactions: ApSciLiara
Status
Not open for further replies.