gregtech block breaker nerf

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Well let's be honest here. For anything other than direct combat, the only real possible challenge in survival mode *is* tedium.
agreed, which is why I dislike the terms 'hardmode' and 'easymode'... I just can't think of a suitable alternative

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
The very first mod I ever wrote was one that removed the recipe from Redpower Canvas Bags due to both a rather nasty glitch that could be done with them (one that I think was being abused on the server I wrote it for) as well as the just plain perceived cheapness of the bags for the people that were not abusing the glitch. In that mod, I did not ask Eloraam for permission (assuming a response could be achieved at all, Eloraam is the only mod maker I will never ask for permission for anything I would need of her), I simply wrote it without touching Redpower code at all (not even reflection). Can anyone say I was wrong for coding this mod?

Overlooking the glitch aspect which maybe 15% of people were using, I saw the bags as cheap, non-specific, versions of Forestry Backpacks, so I removed them without permission. Greg has seen Block Breakers as cheap ways of building very OP (with the current recipe) frame mining machines, so he changed the recipe, not even by default as my mod did, without permission (If I remember correctly, he asked for permission, like 3 months ago, I'm 90% certain he never received a response), and without touching Redpower code in any way. Is he wrong to do this, and is his case significantly different from mine?

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I can just build mining wells like DW did, million times faster, and no need for a crapload of blockbreakers and frames, suck it greg!

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I think once they redesign the launcher they should (and might) have options to download different configs. Like gregtech "easy/hard" and one for EBXL with all the biomes turned on.[DOUBLEPOST=1364179771][/DOUBLEPOST]
How about just "GregTech" for the full mod, and "GregTech Lite" for GregTech without recipe tweaks?
Also about your signature, you might want to read this http://pastebin.com/fM3XNdGE

Peter_Gunnn

Jul 29, 2019
blah blah blah

for starters, your computer running my code DOES NOT make that your code, so let's knock that shit off right now.

it's a 3rd party performing these alterations, without consent of the owner or knowledge of the end user. and if you don't think apple carefully dictates the experience of using its products, and defends its right to do so exclusively, then i invite you to the year 2013.

my mod has yams. modder x doesn't like yams, so through obfuscation changes my yams to potatoes. according to you, he is in the right to do so.
i decide i don't like iridium, so through obfuscation i change iridium to zombie flesh. according to you, i am in the wrong.

whatever, man.

Peter_Gunnn

Jul 29, 2019
The very first mod I ever wrote was one that removed the recipe from Redpower Canvas Bags due to both a rather nasty glitch that could be done with them (one that I think was being abused on the server I wrote it for) as well as the just plain perceived cheapness of the bags for the people that were not abusing the glitch. In that mod, I did not ask Eloraam for permission (assuming a response could be achieved at all, Eloraam is the only mod maker I will never ask for permission for anything I would need of her), I simply wrote it without touching Redpower code at all (not even reflection). Can anyone say I was wrong for coding this mod?

Overlooking the glitch aspect which maybe 15% of people were using, I saw the bags as cheap, non-specific, versions of Forestry Backpacks, so I removed them without permission. Greg has seen Block Breakers as cheap ways of building very OP (with the current recipe) frame mining machines, so he changed the recipe, not even by default as my mod did, without permission (If I remember correctly, he asked for permission, like 3 months ago, I'm 90% certain he never received a response), and without touching Redpower code in any way. Is he wrong to do this, and is his case significantly different from mine?

was your mod intended for mass consumption or personal use? another difference, as has been pointed out, is that the expensive blockbreaker recipe is an optional setting that must be sought and exercised (which is the proper way of doing things, although greg chose that route out of fear, not respect)

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
for starters, your computer running my code DOES NOT make that your code, so let's knock that shit off right now.

Your lack of knowledge and presumptive, incorrect, attitude simply confirms that you shouldn't be conversing on the topic at all.

my mod has yams. modder x doesn't like yams, so through obfuscation changes my yams to potatoes. according to you, he is in the right to do so.
\

Because they are in the right to do so.

i decide i don't like iridium, so through obfuscation i change iridium to zombie flesh. according to you, i am in the wrong.

False. Add your inability to read the words as written to the reasons you should not be engaging in this conversation.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
it's a 3rd party performing these alterations, without consent of the owner or knowledge of the end user. and if you don't think apple carefully dictates the experience of using its products, and defends its right to do so exclusively, then i invite you to the year 2013.

FYI: It's really difficult to watch you repeat the same falsehoods about copyright law over and over. People keep saying this is strictly wrong and none of the things you're claiming give you the legal rights you're implying you have.

Apple is a great example of how you're wrong. Apple controls their experience via trademark, copyright, and software patents. Mostly the first and third, copyright doesn't do very much. They also rely on a user agreement strategy which they can afford to pursue. It's legally and ethically questionable, but they have more money than many small countries.

Their reliance of software patents is particularly interesting, because it's a great example of where everyone in the world knows its wrong and Apple can exercise more power than they should be able to.

The "right" answer is what the user chose to configure. The author of the mod has suffered not a bit, and will probably never be aware of this happening. Nothing we've described here affects any right the author has. Unless of course you're saying that people who assemble private modpacks are themselves skirting legality by not having explicit permission to use mods with each other mod which might modify the enviroment.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Dear gods and all that is unholy. Look how about everyone here goes and get a job. Work 80+ hours a week say 20+ hours a day until you drop dead then play a video game. This is why video games get crap. This is why people see anyone under 35 as losers and rejects. Seriously just agree to disagree. I personally find that neither side is correct. Half of you know my theory on modders so let us just drop it.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
I think once they redesign the launcher they should (and might) have options to download different configs. Like gregtech "easy/hard" and one for EBXL with all the biomes turned on.[DOUBLEPOST=1364179771][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also about your signature, you might want to read this http://pastebin.com/fM3XNdGE
He is a tekkit fanboi who is linking to hope people read it and think it actually means something.

I have to say that this is the first I have heard about the block breaker nerf and I am lucky enough that I can use configs to sort that out. I personally think one of the most out of balance things is the centrifuging of lava into tin and copper. Thats just free money right there, surely the lava gen in gregtech needs a nerfing.... how come the pump and that centrifuge have not been hit with the nerf bat? HMmmm maybe I should make a mod that hacks into gregtech and nerf them.

Peter_Gunnn

Jul 29, 2019
Dear gods and all that is unholy. Look how about everyone here goes and gets a job. Work 80+ hours a week untill you drop dead then play a video game. This is why video games get crap. This is why people see anyone under 35 as losers and rejects. Seriously just agree to disagree. I personally find that neither side is correct. Half of you know my theory on modders so let us just drop it.

i've worked plenty of 80+ hour weeks - i find video games more enjoyable. i even find arguing over video games more enjoyable than working 80 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.