Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
So how do I put a bucket of lava into a Magmatic Engine I can't seem to do it? Am I missing something, Dos it have to come from a pump from the nether?

You right click the pump with a bucket of lava in your hand or pipe the lava in via pipes/liquiducts.

Reactions: xSINZx

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
My eyes, they burn. Apparently adding recipes the way Greg adds them but in a different mod is "hacky." There is so much that can be said about that one post, but I think the best course is to leave it since by now the only ones not disillusioned to Greg's antics are his rabid followers.

Before I go, one last thing. Greg called a bunch of people retards on a professional-ish setting. That is immature, and disrespectful. I have lost all respect for Greg. Good job.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Before I go, one last thing. Greg called a bunch of people retards on a professional-ish setting. That is immature, and disrespectful. I have lost all respect for Greg. Good job.

Fortunately I lost whatever respect I had for him the moment he decided to make an ass of himself and crash people's clients just because "WAAAAH! My sacred nerfs!"

Reactions: NosePicker5555

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019

You had respect for him, ever?

Even when I loved his mod, I hated him. I went to search some information, saw his forum posts, and he came off as an incredible dick.

Reactions: LordBufu

giesergast

Jul 29, 2019
My eyes, they burn. Apparently adding recipes the way Greg adds them but in a different mod is "hacky." There is so much that can be said about that one post, but I think the best course is to leave it since by now the only ones not disillusioned to Greg's antics are his rabid followers.

obviously everything that is not done by greg and also does not recuire at least 20 hours to make is hacky duuuh

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Twice as long, not a few more minutes.
Imagine I want to make, for example, a house. If my interior is 16x8 (and it will certainly be much larger than that), it will require two stacks of wood (planks) to make. That means that, pre-nerf, I would need 32 wood logs (which is a lot for me, because I loathe chopping down trees). Post-nerf, that's a stack of wood logs.
That means that the floor alone of my tiny little house (16x8 is TINY) will require a whole stack of wood.
Now, at the time that I'm making a basic starter house (the only reason that I would make such a small house is to protect myself from creepers and stuff whilst getting set up) I'm only at basic stone tools, so blocks break slowly.
OH WAIT, greg nerfed stone tools too... hurrah.

Basically, to get ONLY MY FLOOR going takes a whole stack of wood chopped with an axe that is horrendously poor quality because greg nerfed it, and I couldn't use iron anyway because he nerfed that too. That means that me getting into the game, even going caving, is delayed by a VERY long time and it screws with my playstyle. Sure, some people like to leave their stuff out in the open, but the problem is that every single thing in the game requires wood at some point. And as you said, this in no way adds difficulty. Unless you're doing it at night, there is absolutely no danger to chopping trees, just tedium. Some people find REGULAR tree chopping so tedious that they have to install a treecapitator mod...
Greg has you covered there too! If you love outdoor builds, have fun covering your sky with glass, or you get to enjoy 'splosions on ALL your electric machines!

Reactions: tehBlobLord

Droideka30

Jul 29, 2019
OR you make yourself a handsaw and get the same amount of wood like before.
That's exactly it. Greg nerfed wood just to force people to use HIS tools and machines.

I seriously have no idea how people still think it's a "nerf". Greg probably just thought that it is not very logical to break down logs into planks with your bare hands, so he added a saw you have to use to get the exact same amount as before. The next thing people are going to complain about is that they are not getting coal, when punching the ore...
No, Greg thought, "Hmm... People aren't using my industrial sawmill. I could buff it... OR, I could just NERF WOOD!!"
And we all know that Greg never buffs things.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019

I seriously have no idea how people still think it's a "nerf". Greg probably just thought that it is not very logical to break down logs into planks with your bare hands, so he added a saw you have to use to get the exact same amount as before. The next thing people are going to complain about is that they are not getting coal, when punching the ore...
Yes, it's so realistic that you need tools to cut lumber and to craft swords when you can CRAFT A FUSION REACTOR WITH YOUR BARE HANDS.

avo

Jul 29, 2019
That's exactly it. Greg nerfed wood just to force people to use HIS tools and machines.

No, Greg thought, "Hmm... People aren't using my industrial sawmill. I could buff it... OR, I could just NERF WOOD!!"
And we all know that Greg never buffs things.

He's not making you use a machine. a little saw. a tiny little saw. nothing else to get the same as before. is that really such a huge change to make so much drama about it?

And mDiyo is just being a dick now. He could add a little message at the start of the game "TinkersConstruct needs large amounts of wood. It is recommended to disable gregtechs saw, you can find that at...." but instead he just wants this to escalate even more.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019

The difference is that you never got coal by punching the ore, and he didn't halve the amount of coal you get whilst nerfing how much stuff it can burn.
The tool for collecting wood is an axe. If I have to make his stupid saw (which I assume requires iron) before I can even start getting wood, then he's got his tech tree backwards. You might enjoy using yet another pointless item added just for the sake of it, but personally I prefer to keep the boring early game as short as possible so that I can make the most of the other mods in FTB.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
The difference is that you never got coal by punching the ore, and he didn't halve the amount of coal you get whilst nerfing how much stuff it can burn.
The tool for collecting wood is an axe. If I have to make his stupid saw (which I assume requires iron) before I can even start getting wood, then he's got his tech tree backwards. You might enjoy using yet another pointless item added just for the sake of it, but personally I prefer to keep the boring early game as short as possible so that I can make the most of the other mods in FTB.

Indeed. "Oh boy! I sure do love punching trees! If only there were a way to force myself to spend twice as much time doing so to get the same amount of resources!" said no player ever.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
When I start new world, I get as much wood as possible for 1 minecraft day, without tools. I usually end up with 2-3 stacks of logs :3
Which would be enough to make your floor and ceiling, assuming you didn't use stairs and just made a flat roof. You also need the four walls, and all of your tools, machines, chests, crafting tables, etc.

When I start a world I usually grab 20 wood, go on a quick caving run (to get cobble and coal mainly), build a small house, go on another short caving run (usually through the night), go back to the house, make iron tools, and then cave until I run out of food or torches, whichever is first. Usually at that point I have about ten diamonds and full iron armour.

Now, I can basically forget about my "system" because of the nerfs to iron tools, and I'll spend my whole first day using the now-rubbish stone tools to get enough wood to make the starter house.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
people still complaining about wood? whos made two or more FRs (latest 1.4 version) and had fun doing it? I know I have... (not being sarcastic)

TBH I love the idea of a handsaw, but I also find playing on hard difficulty with no armor and thaumcraft installed, fun...

Droideka30

Jul 29, 2019
He's not making you use a machine. a little saw. a tiny little saw. nothing else to get the same as before. is that really such a huge change to make so much drama about it?
Many other modders would add some benefit to their tool if they wanted you to use it. But Greg just nerfs the alternative. Imagine what FTB would be like if ALL modders tried to do that. The only comparable example I can think of is Railcraft changing the crafting recipe for making rails. However, the Railcraft recipe yields MORE rails for your materials in the end. Gregtech forces you to use his machines just to get back to where you started.[DOUBLEPOST=1374233619][/DOUBLEPOST]Come to think of it, what is the crafting recipe and durability of the handsaw, anyways?

fishingguru

Jul 29, 2019
The way I see it, if you are playing a mod pack with GregTech, then you are really playing GregTech with a bunch of other mods. Don't take that as me minimizing other mods, its just feels like GregTech is a total conversion mod that involves all the others in the pack. I have a suspicion that Gregorious sees it this way as well.

I originally started advocating GregTech because of the new and interesting machines (industrial blast furnace, grinder, centrifuge, electroyzer, fusion reactor) along with the added depth to the IC2 tech tree (that hasn't really changed from Minecraft 1.2.5). However, the newest round of machines, the plate bender, assembler, etc., just feel like an added time sink (I will say that auto eject and power sharing are a nice addition). They dont do anything particularly interesting or innovative, just add more time to crafting the components that you need in bulk for just about every other machine.

I haven't gotten a chance to play on a version of GregTech that has the wood and basic tool nerfs, so I can't comment on them. There are better ways of handling people changing your recipes than throwing an exception when one gets overwritten. I know it didn't come about in the best way, but what KingLemming did for TE machines seems to be the logical solution. Perhaps the modders can agree on a config setting along the lines of "B:eek:thermodscanoverridemystuff = true" and everyone respects that setting. Then users can decide which recipes can be overwritten.

Reactions: Flipz

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Many other modders would add some benefit to their tool if they wanted you to use it. But Greg just nerfs the alternative. Imagine what FTB would be like if ALL modders tried to do that. The only comparable example I can think of is Railcraft changing the crafting recipe for making rails. However, the Railcraft recipe yields MORE rails for your materials in the end. Gregtech forces you to use his machines just to get back to where you started.[DOUBLEPOST=1374233619][/DOUBLEPOST]Come to think of it, what is the crafting recipe and durability of the handsaw, anyways?

Exactly, people don't use mDiyo's tools because he nerfed the vanilla tools, and unlike Greg mDiyo never disabled the ability to craft vanilla tools either, they use them because mDiyo made his method of crafting tools more interesting and more useful.

Reactions: Flipz
Status
Not open for further replies.