Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
There's nothing harder about Gregtech, the Gregtech experience as it is now boils down to 1: Spend an obscene amount of time gathering basic resources because Greg nerfed Minecraft at the most basic level possible, 2: craft magic box, 3: use magic box to craft other magic box, 4: use other magic box to craft yet another magic box, etc.

You just described minecraft. congrats. If you don't like crafting stuff and gathering resources, why do you even play?

Creative mode ftw!

Seriously though, for alot of people GT makes minecraft fun. For alot of people it ruins their fun. The PERFECT solution is to just identify which group you belong to and choose if you're gonna play the mod or not.

Don't do stuff you don't like.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
You just described minecraft. congrats. If you don't like crafting stuff and gathering resources, why do you even play?

Creative mode ftw!

Seriously though, for alot of people GT makes minecraft fun. For alot of people it ruins their fun. The PERFECT solution is to just identify which group you belong to and choose if you're gonna play the mod or not.

Don't do stuff you don't like.

This argument is a favourite of Gregites and it's a complete logical fallacy, the world doesn't run on black and white, there are not simply people who love Gregtech and people who hate it, there are all manner of people in between. There are people, like myself, who used to like Gregtech when it was an expansion of IC2, it added useful advanced versions of the basic IC2 machines and new generators that provided alternative options for generating power, what we don't like is that Greg decided he wasn't content with this and decided what he really wanted is to be a total conversion like Better Than Wolves but doesn't want to admit to this fact. There are people who like Greg's mod but are sick of Greg himself.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Ha...just spend few more minutes collecting more wood?
Twice as long, not a few more minutes.
Imagine I want to make, for example, a house. If my interior is 16x8 (and it will certainly be much larger than that), it will require two stacks of wood (planks) to make. That means that, pre-nerf, I would need 32 wood logs (which is a lot for me, because I loathe chopping down trees). Post-nerf, that's a stack of wood logs.
That means that the floor alone of my tiny little house (16x8 is TINY) will require a whole stack of wood.
Now, at the time that I'm making a basic starter house (the only reason that I would make such a small house is to protect myself from creepers and stuff whilst getting set up) I'm only at basic stone tools, so blocks break slowly.
OH WAIT, greg nerfed stone tools too... hurrah.

Basically, to get ONLY MY FLOOR going takes a whole stack of wood chopped with an axe that is horrendously poor quality because greg nerfed it, and I couldn't use iron anyway because he nerfed that too. That means that me getting into the game, even going caving, is delayed by a VERY long time and it screws with my playstyle. Sure, some people like to leave their stuff out in the open, but the problem is that every single thing in the game requires wood at some point. And as you said, this in no way adds difficulty. Unless you're doing it at night, there is absolutely no danger to chopping trees, just tedium. Some people find REGULAR tree chopping so tedious that they have to install a treecapitator mod...

brainbaobao

Jul 29, 2019
Hoho said:
1) I support the nerfs
2) I've never supported the crashing
3) I understand why he doesn't care about FTB users
4) I assume this but as we have zero data about it we can't be sure
1) I support many of them, in fact, most. But I do not support nerfing the most basic of tools that nobody wants to keep. It makes unnecessary parts of the game(excessive crafting) in the beginning very tedious.
2) Some idiots still do
3) you yourself are one, so don't talk trash on ftb users. Many ftb users love gregtech, but are extremely disappointed about this.
4) then let's both stop assuming.

All in all, we agree in many areas. I don't understand how we had an argument. But inserting malicious code is wrong, and should be corrected. He did not remove the actual crashing code, he only removed the trigger.

I can imagine greg is a douchebag sometimes, but honestly you said you didn't like the nerves, configs exist for unnerving the nerves (except the tin buckets and bronze) I say, forget what's happend and let's start again, if you want an apology, ask him one on IRC...
He was quite unapologetic(possibly even proud) and quite rude in response to the concerns and questions of his "fanbase". the chance of him offering an apology is next to nil.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I haven't modded MC, but I have modded The Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) and written software utilities before that for older games. Same principles behind a modder apply.

1) The modder makes a mod for themselves, and shares that mod for the world to enjoy, or hate

2) A modder should listen to feedback, and be positive to that feedback and respect other people

Greg fails on #2, but too many people focus on #1, and try to defend the lack of #2 based on #1

If I wasn't respectful, then my Creatures for Morrowind mod (and many others) wouldn't have been so popular, and still is after 8+ years. The mod would also not have been so good, as many feedback suggestions I did implement, even scrapping some ideas between versions.

I'm just hoping that some of the machine ideas that Greg introduces are replicated in other mods (perhaps MJ based, not EU based). Some elements of the mod seem to be interesting, but many other parts just seem pointless or too many high hoops to jump through.

MoltenX

Jul 29, 2019
Imagine I want to make, for example, a house. If my interior is 16x8 (and it will certainly be much larger than that), it will require two stacks of wood (planks) to make. That means that, pre-nerf, I would need 32 wood logs (which is a lot for me, because I loathe chopping down trees). Post-nerf, that's a stack of wood logs.
That means that the floor alone of my tiny little house (16x8 is TINY) will require a whole stack of wood.
Now, at the time that I'm making a basic starter house (the only reason that I would make such a small house is to protect myself from creepers and stuff whilst getting set up) I'm only at basic stone tools, so blocks break slowly.

Basically, to get ONLY MY FLOOR going takes a whole stack of wood chopped with an axe that is horrendously poor quality because greg nerfed it, and I couldn't use iron anyway because he nerfed that too. That means that me getting into the game, even going caving, is delayed by a VERY long time and it screws with my playstyle. Sure, some people like to leave their stuff out in the open, but the problem is that every single thing in the game requires wood at some point. And as you said, this in no way adds difficulty. Unless you're doing it at night, there is absolutely no danger to chopping trees, just tedium. Some people find REGULAR tree chopping so tedious that they have to install a treecapitator mod...
When I start new world, I get as much wood as possible for 1 minecraft day, without tools. I usually end up with 2-3 stacks of logs :3

avo

Jul 29, 2019

OR you make yourself a handsaw and get the same amount of wood like before.

I seriously have no idea how people still think it's a "nerf". Greg probably just thought that it is not very logical to break down logs into planks with your bare hands, so he added a saw you have to use to get the exact same amount as before. The next thing people are going to complain about is that they are not getting coal, when punching the ore...

Cheith

Jul 29, 2019
I used to have no issue with GregTech, sure it could be a little annoying sometimes but it wasn't too bad. It seems to have since taken a few steps further into ludicrous land, but again that would be the mod makers choice.

My only issue is that anyone who introduces code to deliberately crash a system should not be supported in any way whatsoever, in my opinion. It goes against everything that the Minecraft community is about and certainly should be against everything that FTB is about. Despite some of the cool things in the mod I certainly plan to never use it in the future.

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
It's nice mDiyo got set back to his place. It's arrogant to denerf a nerf mod. Just don't do that!

And if you're bothered about it, l2analyzecode.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019

I seriously have no idea how people still think it's a "nerf". Greg probably just thought that it is not very logical to break down logs into planks with your bare hands, so he added a saw you have to use to get the exact same amount as before. The next thing people are going to complain about is that they are not getting coal, when punching the ore...

it's not very logical to punch trees with your hands

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019

Because punching the trunk of a tree which is at least three times as tall as you are causing it to pop out and leave the rest of the tree floating in midair is so much more logical than turning that log into four planks with your bare hands.

Reactions: Flipz

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

It may not be logical, but it's a fundamental game design of Minecraft. All mods have their designs based on this game design. Once a core design is changed, you are entering the realms of a total conversion. Total Conversions will never work nicely with other mods, and many a Total Conversion dies an early death (based on experience in other games).

Combine that change to core gameplay, with the crashing of the game, gives many people pause for thought about the mod. Hence, way too much discussion about it.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
So,

I'm playing Ultimate for the last couple days. First time ever I have played something that involves the dreaded GregTech nerfs? Personally I don't find it that bad! But then I't all pretty new. So how do I put a bucket of lava into a Magmatic Engine I can't seem to do it? Am I missing something, Dos it have to come from a pump from the nether?

Rashid Blumenbaum

Jul 29, 2019
Gregdefenceforce said:
X and Y can be turned off in the configs, therefore you can criticize only unconfigurable changes."
I'm frowned that this fallacy is being repeated without any afterthought. I admit it is correct in single player mode when you're an owner of your own local server.
For it to be truthful on multiplayer I'd have to have an absurd number of online servers to choose from, where each of them has different GT configuration to fit my needs. I can't configure the server I'm playing on. On the end, the user is the one who's harmed.

Greg is a very stubborn person. His childish methods of resolving problems (pumpkin of shame, bashing Immibis no matter what he said, latest drama with mDiyo) can be seen even in the source code of his mod - endless nested if statements, ThisIsNotMyFault exceptions, catch (Throwable e)...

I like Gregtech and always play it on the hard setting if I can, however sooner or later the mod will die because: (1) the code is an unmaintainable spaghetti, (2) hard setting is the default one, (3) Greg behavior is malicious and childish, (4) Greg just slaps new features on the pile of other features without thinking of their impact on anything (the recent nerf of wood is just a single example).

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
So,

I'm playing Ultimate for the last couple days. First time ever I have played something that involves the dreaded GregTech nerfs? Personally I don't find it that bad! But then I't all pretty new. So how do I put a bucket of lava into a Magmatic Engine I can't seem to do it? Am I missing something, Dos it have to come from a pump from the nether?

these changes are in the 1.5.2 version ultimate is just version 1.4.7

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
So,

Magmatic engines are a bit weird, you have to rightclick it with the lava bucket to add lava to it rather than working like the engines from Build Craft itself.

Reactions: xSINZx
Status
Not open for further replies.