Good vs. Evil

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
49. I'm at that age now where learning anything new is starting to become that bit more difficult :p Hell, I'm having enough trouble with Embers, and I've watched mod spotlights and stuff about that!

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
49 my laptop rebooted suddenly rebooted 2 times out of its own. The first time it did that it even got stuck in an reboot loop.

I guess I need to get a new one?

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
50 Check the disk? Might just be corruption in the OS or those sectors. Depends on why it rebooted, which would probably be logged in some form of event tracker.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
50 and.. it hasn't rebooted since I wrote that message (I keep it on during the night for both music and as an alarm)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
51 slowly but surely getting rid of all the tuples that I used in arena_keeper.
another thing that used to worry me was the size of the .wasm file that I was dealing with (4.1 MiB), however as it turns out the default of cargo web deploy is debug mode and giving the flag --release with it causes it to spit out a 897.4 KiB file instead which looks a lot more manageable. Especially considering a site I worked on at work spits out a 793.87 KiB js file AND a 896.07 KiB js file.

And not only is my current file a good bit smaller than both of those together, .wasm files also don't spend nearly as much time being read as js files so my time until execution should be quicker even if they where the same size. In fact, .wasm files can even be parsed while its still being downloaded which isn't the case for JS files which increases this advantage even more.

And, if that is still not enough I should have some extra tricks up my sleeve, like changing the default malloc implementation that is used, and throwing the compiled .wasm file into wasm-opt which should try to make it even smaller.

So... I think I should be good on that front as well? At least for a little while :)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
50. I left work early on Friday and slept for about 3 hours when I got home. My weekend wasn't especially restful, but it was good for my mental health, so that's a plus.

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
Didn't like what was available in the dining hall. It's fine, I've been trying to lose some weight anyways.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
50 so.... I just rewrote a good bit of arena_keeper to get rid of all the tuples and replace them with better structures. MaybeCharWithId/CharWithId if the tuple was used to group a characterId and either an Option<Character> or a normal Character together and a Vec where a tuple was used to combine 2 values of the same type.

Turns out that rusts borrow checker is one of the last things that runs and thus only shows those errors after everything else works. That one was kind of painful.....