Good vs. Evil

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
50 why would you want it to be cold?

side note: I did some amazing work on arena_keeper. I now have a nice folder structure for species (a folder with images, a .txt file for names and one for short descriptions) and a way to turn those into functional rust code.

As a result, I have both the advantage in specie creation speed that simple files bring together with the advantage of writing code that interacts with them that putting them as source code brings.

Also, fights have a VERY basic update cycle now which also means you can earn some money back in the game. However, as the list of buy able characters doesn't get filled back in there is pretty much no point in that....

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
50. I can't seem to stay awake like I used to even a couple of years ago. Its really cutting into my Minecraft time...

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
51 More class cancellation due to the cold. Now class doesn't start up again until after noon on Thursday.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
50. Dayum. There's been snow elsewhere in my country but not where I live, though there was a potential warning put out for this afternoon. Hope not, I hate driving in snow.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
50 great, I can't wait for all the comments that use these temperatures as "proof" that climate change doesn't exist.

Unrelated: I also happen to have someone in my class who claims that it neither has been proven, nor proven that its CO2 nor proven that even if its a thing that it will cause problems. Is he beyond saving or does anyone have any arguments I can throw at him?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
51 Ask what he would consider "proof"
52 ok, and then?

Mind you, this is the same guy who uses the "train either rides over multiple persons or only one depending on if you flick the switch. What would you do?" as a way to argue that the amount of tax a person pays shouldn't increase the more money that person has. Also, he once tried to start a conversation by mentioning how people with an IQ lower than X (I forgot the number) can't learn anything useful according to the American army. To top it off, the next day the first thing he said during lunch was how the % of people that are poor is the same as the % of people that have that IQ or lower.

After doing that he was surprised no one said anything. I'm just wondering if he just wants to bait arguments out or....?

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
51 Not sure then. The whole "what's valid proof" was to see if his beliefs were even falsifiable.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
52 so... arena_keeper needed to show more information than I could comfortably put on 1 screen. Meaning I had to either implement multiple pages and/or a better way to use modals.

However, neither where exactly ideal, the pages one wasn't because then even the smallest things had to become their whole page. The modals one because those are basically pop ups. This is when I thought back to settlers 2 and how the same problem got solved there.

So.... now Instead of normal pop ups, I have pop-ups that you can drag around and minimize. I'm really not sure if I'm happy with it and the fact that its a design that I absolutely HATE on websites is also not exactly helping. Then again, the plan is to eventually have a big webgl/canvas thing so having the user go to entire different pages every time is defiantly far from idea.....

Right now, I just converted the shop from a modal to being its own window, and thanks to using agents everywhere I didn't have to change a single bit about how it works with the characters, despite it being totally different in how it gets rendered. Meaning that that switch already made itself worth it :)

I think the next step is to make it easier to make windows and make them a bit nicer looking. After that, I'm probably going to change the current character list and the fight list to their own windows as well and place a canvas/webgl thing down rendering just random stuff. That way I learn a bit about that and it will start to look more like a game, instead of a webpage with that (stupid) design choice.

Oh, for those wondering why I hate that design choice for websites: Those that use it normally only ever allow you to have 1 window open and even if they do allow multiple there most of the time isn't much reason to do that. Meaning its really just a pop up that you can drag around. With games like settlers 2 things are a bit different as you may very well want multiple pieces of data (a world map, current resources, etc, etc)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
51. So, I did indeed end up driving home in the snow. Took me over 4 hours to get back, on a journey that normally takes 45-60 minutes. That was fun...