Future of GeoStrata and DyeTrees

Should I move the magic-like content from GeoStrata to DyeTrees, and rename DyeTrees?

• Total voters

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Suggestion: make it a realistic magic mod, lots of really expensive items available mostly through NPC trade that do absolutely nothing :p
Minecraft already HAS some magic though. Some of those items should have actual magical use. Not many, but still, some.

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Edited: Because Cthulhu forbid I have an opinion that others don't agree with, even if they asked for an opinion.
Also, release source code herr durr. There, I asked, instead of having my opinion reacted to.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I only use DyeTrees because I wanted only that functionality (Don't use Project Red either). By merging crystals in, and not giving config options, you are going to lose part of your audience (As well as gain an audience for the "magic" mod).
If you want to do a magic mod, go for it. IF you want to move crystals out of geostrata, do it. If you want to remake DyeTrees into said magic mod, do it. If you don't want to add config options, don't.
If you are intent on getting rid of "simple" (Read: in functionality) mod and remaking it into a complex mod, then you should give the code to someone so they can maintain it. I won't use your magic mod just for the trees, or just for the crystals... especially without configs to disable one or the other.
Just my 2 cents. I don't expect anyone to agree.
You have essentially just asked me to give ownership of the original mod if I choose to later change it.

Dark Of The Moon

Jul 29, 2019
I think you should leave them the way they are. If people want to whine about one certain thing about a mod, then let them whine. They can either get over it, or uninstall the mod. I like and use both of these mods, and I like all of the features. Plus, crystals are rocks(of a sort), and even if they are "magic", in my mind they seem to fit better with other rocks, over trees. But, as you are the modder(and an awesome one at that) you have the ultimate say, no matter what the rest of us think.

Reactions: rhn and YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
You have essentially just asked me to give ownership of the original mod if I choose to later change it.
Actually, as weird as that post was, it's kinda smart. A standalone dye tree mod would be nice, in addition to having it bundled with geostrata's crystals.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, I'd be fine if you merged all of your mods into one enormous mod with configs, if only for the sake of encouraging people to actually open a config file for once. But then, I maintain a pack so I'm kinda used to looking at configs and such. Ultimately? Whichever way works best for you to keep track of all the things.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Eh, I'd be fine if you merged all of your mods into one enormous mod with configs, if only for the sake of encouraging people to actually open a config file for once. But then, I maintain a pack so I'm kinda used to looking at configs and such. Ultimately? Whichever way works best for you to keep track of all the things.
One massive 75MB mod?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Wanted to quote the post by CascadingDragon as well, but it seems it got deleted?

Despite how I dont like the tone it was written in and the notion of giving the code off to someone else was rather far fetched imo, but he sort of had a point. Your mods(dyetrees and geostrata) have been somewhat simple and very precise in what they do so far. And I loved them for that!
Yes it might be a good idea to move the crystals out of Geostrata(I really liked them in there) because a great number of people seem to just want the OPness of effects from the crystals and doesn't give a damn about all the cool building blocks(which is what we see reflected in the poll I believe). Because lets face it, the average player doesn't seem to keenly interested in building for aesthetics all that much. And apparently people cant deal with the cobblestones with a trashcan or voidpipe if they don't like them that much.

But if moving the crystals(which I really like and think were quite brilliant and original) out of Geostrata HAVE to mean moving them into Dyetrees(or New Big Magic Mod(TM)) which includes being force fed the multicoloured trees... Then I personally will be sad to have to go without the crystals.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
But if moving the crystals(which I really like and think were quite brilliant and original) out of Geostrata HAVE to mean moving them into Dyetrees(or New Big Magic Mod(TM)) which includes being force fed the multicoloured trees... Then I personally will be sad to have to go without the crystals.

I'm of a similiar mind. I love the stone for building for aesthetics and I love the crystals for their effects, but I don't care for the trees. Were I to have to choose between adding DyeTrees for crystals or going without, I'd go without, no offense to the mod. Strangely colored trees just aren't for me.

Reactions: rhn

Mortvana

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fine either way, I like me some Opal, I like me some Cave Crystals, and I like me some RAINBOW Trees, I like me some Fusion Reactors... Wait wrong mod :p I would like some new mystical junk though~

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
One massive 75MB mod?
I'm in favour of this, or at least extensive configs for the two separate mods. I don't like the trees or the crystals, but I like the rocks. So, I'm in a bad position either way. What is the reason that you seem to be against configs to disable certain things?

Dark Of The Moon

Jul 29, 2019
I like everything that Reika has created* and would support any of these options, as long as everything is still there somewhere.

*Excluding LegacyCraft

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm fine either way, I like me some Opal, I like me some Cave Crystals, and I like me some RAINBOW Trees, I like me some Fusion Reactors... Wait wrong mod :p I would like some new mystical junk though~
This is the other reason I think a move makes sense. Everything to do with the crystals works off of the dye color palette, much as DyeTrees does. It could become one coherent (colorful) mod.

Also, I am not going to be merging the mods. Not only is that rather ridiculous, I would be pissed if I had to download a massive file (at 0.01 MB/s) just for one subsection.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It looks like this decision has been made.
Not counting the "No opinion" votes, 87% are in favor of the content transfer, of which 92% support the name change of Dye Trees.

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
It looks like this decision has been made.
Not counting the "No opinion" votes, 87% are in favor of the content transfer, of which 92% support the name change of Dye Trees.
When I look at the poll, it's 78% in favor of the transfer, including me.

Edit: Never mind, I didn't notice the "Not counting the "No opinion votes"