FTB Pack Comparison

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

runlvlzero

Jul 29, 2019
I speculate that they would most likely remain in their current state and lag behind any future releases of the main FTB pack if they decide to keep in mods that aren't on a fast update schedule. Meaning 1.6 could come out and FTB ultimate minus a few mods would be released and mindcrack would stay on the earlier version.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Now, now. just because Traincraft is inferior in every way to Railcraft doesn't mean we can put it down like that. Some people like Traincraft for some reason.
Its very broken, in fact I think I heard that the mindcrack people arent allowed to even use it, it adds annoying world gen and nothing really useful. The trains do look cool though

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
what happens, if RP2 gets released and a few days later, 1.6 gets released? suddenly, RP2 is brandnew out there and most of the other mods switch to 1.6.

regarding traincraft: the really nice part was (when I used parts of it): I could mine oil sand and centrifuge it in order to get an oil cell. and 2 oil sand blocks gives one oil cell... that deal isn't so bad.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Would it then become an issue of, "RP offers a jazillion things, 1.6 offers horses" debate?
I am both a mapmaker and a regular player. The mapmaker in me wants to stay with RP, xycraft, ender storage, and wireless redstone forever. But as a regular player horses are really awesome. Luckily My friend is gonna have a vanilla snapshot server and an FTB won.

Reactions: Fuzzlewhumper

Kal

Jul 29, 2019
Would it then become an issue of, "RP offers a jazillion things, 1.6 offers horses" debate?

People always forget that it's not just "<new version> offers <feature>". For us, the main thing new versions offer is access to all the mods that have updated, and whatever bugfixes and new content those mods bring.

Reactions: Chocorate

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Its very broken, in fact I think I heard that the mindcrack people arent allowed to even use it, it adds annoying world gen and nothing really useful. The trains do look cool though
It's basically Railcraft and Thaumcraft, but with none of the cool Railcraft features and only the forced-research thing of Thaumcraft. If they want to force me to experiment and research with their mod and not offer me that much in turn for it, I'd rather use Railcraft. It doesn't have the variety Traincraft, but it does what's needed.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
what happens, if RP2 gets released and a few days later, 1.6 gets released? suddenly, RP2 is brandnew out there and most of the other mods switch to 1.6.

regarding traincraft: the really nice part was (when I used parts of it): I could mine oil sand and centrifuge it in order to get an oil cell. and 2 oil sand blocks gives one oil cell... that deal isn't so bad.

Eloraam has already said she's working on 1.5. Slowpoke has already said that FTB probably will not be going to 1.5 until 1.6 vanilla comes out, so if 1.6 gets released 2 days after RP 1.5, it will be right about on time.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
So with the version obfuscation features, can I use 1.5.2 mods on 1.5.1? What about the other way around?

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
FTB will always be several patches behind vanilla until Mojang/forge/authors finds better ways to stop breaking shit every patch. For me RP still adds more to the game than all the additions (including new things ion other mods)+vanilla stuff. For others, usually people that didn't do RP much, it may be different. Maybe its time mod pack makers considered offering 'classic[147]' versions of their modpacks and start to move on.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
FTB will always be several patches behind vanilla until Mojang/forge/authors finds better ways to stop breaking shit every patch. For me RP still adds more to the game than all the additions (including new things ion other mods)+vanilla stuff. For others, usually people that didn't do RP much, it may be different. Maybe its time mod pack makers considered offering 'classic[147]' versions of their modpacks and start to move on.
Correct me if i'm wrong but the official packs (not direwolf, yogscast, or mindcrack) are created primarily for the FTB maps and other mapmakers like myself.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Does IC2's current beta actually run under 1.5.2 now? I tried multiple beta releases over the last month and none wanted to work. So I'm a bit confused now to see compatibility listed in the google spreadsheet.