FTB Pack Comparison

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

glepet1962

Nov 15, 2012
I just tested Mo creatures and it actually works quite well now with other mods. Even things like biomes o plenty twilight forest and other mods that add mobs. I am definitely gonna add it to my 1.5 pack

Did you have to do alot of tweaking or did it work pretty well out of the box? I've switched to BOP with my 1.5 pack also.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Did you have to do alot of tweaking or did it work pretty well out of the box? I've switched to BOP with my 1.5 pack also.
No, but I will have to. It sets mobs from other mods to a high spawn frequency. But it seems that it actually spawns things as it should according to the spawn settings

Noiro

Jul 29, 2019
Any access to beta 1.5.1 Ultimate? I think my server can live without RP2 for a bit. There are a ton of mods that get fixed in the 1.5 version that I'd like to see changed (Ars, I'm looking at you!).

Slaagathor

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke just said on his stream that once the SecretRooms/Mystcraft bug on 1.4.7 is updated (tonight or tomorrow), then they'll focus on the 1.5.x pack, and that it *could* be as early as this weekend but not to *expect* it, as it'll be out once it is ready.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah. But I mean for the beta pack, we are just waiting on that.
meh, if the beta pack is just waiting on those mods then the other packs will be updated soon afterwards. Chicken Bones is usually really good at updating mods quickly. and Reliquary wouldnt be too much of a loss

MrAgle

Jul 29, 2019
Any official word on the possibility of new mods in the modpacks yet?

I'm a big fan of the Mindcrack pack, and I think adding Bibliocraft and Tinker's Construct / Natura would be fantastic. Especially if they're taking Redpower out - the Tinker's tools would nicely replace the loss of gemstone tools, and farming cotton instead of flax would work nicely. Natura's worldgen looks fantastic, with all the new trees and cloudstuff and whatnot.

Conversely, I wouldn't mind seeing Traincraft go away.

The Direwolf20 pack looks like it might include Ars Magica, and while I love Thaumcraft, Ars might be a deal-breaker for me. It just seems too over-powered - hook up a nexus to a cobblegen and let it make gold? Too much like the old EE for my taste.

The spreadsheet at the top of this thread doesn't seem to address any newer mods, or the likelihood of what packs they'll be in. Does anybody know?

(I realize this might be the wrong thread for this, but every search I tried turned up with nothing that seemed better.)

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Any official word on the possibility of new mods in the modpacks yet?

I'm a big fan of the Mindcrack pack, and I think adding Bibliocraft and Tinker's Construct / Natura would be fantastic. Especially if they're taking Redpower out - the Tinker's tools would nicely replace the loss of gemstone tools, and farming cotton instead of flax would work nicely. Natura's worldgen looks fantastic, with all the new trees and cloudstuff and whatnot.

Conversely, I wouldn't mind seeing Traincraft go away.

The Direwolf20 pack looks like it might include Ars Magica, and while I love Thaumcraft, Ars might be a deal-breaker for me. It just seems too over-powered - hook up a nexus to a cobblegen and let it make gold? Too much like the old EE for my taste.

The spreadsheet at the top of this thread doesn't seem to address any newer mods, or the likelihood of what packs they'll be in. Does anybody know?

(I realize this might be the wrong thread for this, but every search I tried turned up with nothing that seemed better.)
I believe that as of right now, no packs will be updated to a new MC version until 1.6, but a new beta pack for 1.5 will be created. It will be based of Ultimate, but will not have any mods that are not updated (obviously). Ars Magica, Tinker's Construct, Natura and OpenCCSensors are all planned to be added, and I'm personally hoping that FlatSigns by Myrathi and Immibis Microblocks will be added too. Also, FlatBedrock is no longer necessary because flat bedrock is now provided by CoFH Core.

MrAgle

Jul 29, 2019
I've heard nothing but good things about Immibis Microblocks - that would be a great addition! I had to look up FlatSigns, and now I really, really want them - it's one of those ideas that make you smack your forehead and ask why we haven't already had them!
Thank you, for the excellent and encouraging response!

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that as of right now, no packs will be updated to a new MC version until 1.6, but a new beta pack for 1.5 will be created. It will be based of Ultimate, but will not have any mods that are not updated (obviously). Ars Magica, Tinker's Construct, Natura and OpenCCSensors are all planned to be added, and I'm personally hoping that FlatSigns by Myrathi and Immibis Microblocks will be added too. Also, FlatBedrock is no longer necessary because flat bedrock is now provided by CoFH Core.
From my understanding they are waiting for the remaining mods to update. If they all update in 1.5 then there will be a 1.5 release. I imagine that that is what mindcrack and direwolf will do anyways. but 1.6 is supposedly gonna come out at the end of the month so it's more realistic that the redpower, xycraft, etc will update after the pre release comes out. I really don't want a ton of new mods, the pure amount of mods in these packs has gotten ridiculous. pretty much all of the mods in direwolf20 are really awesome and useful but I don't really care about some of these new mods like tinkers construct, flat signs, etc. I do hope for ars magica and openCCsensors though

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Will there be a map reset needed for Mindcrack servers update as soon as the Modpack comes out?
Mindcrack and DW20 are mod packs that the FTB team maintain for the respective YouTubers and streamers, so it's up to them. The Mindcrack pack depends on what the Mindcrack team want. If they want to start a new world and for their pack to change so much that world continuity is impossible, then yes there will be a reset. If not, then no. They probably haven't even decided exactly when they will move to a new Minecraft version or what the move will entail yet. Maybe there will be a split, with some continuing their existing world and some starting a new world.

ChewingGumm

Jul 29, 2019
Mindcrack and DW20 are mod packs that the FTB team maintain for the respective YouTubers and streamers, so it's up to them. The Mindcrack pack depends on what the Mindcrack team want. If they want to start a new world and for their pack to change so much that world continuity is impossible, then yes there will be a reset. If not, then no. They probably haven't even decided exactly when they will move to a new Minecraft version or what the move will entail yet. Maybe there will be a split, with some continuing their existing world and some starting a new world.
Originally i was talking about server owners in general and not to the specific Mindcrack etc :p I just wanted to know if there are already some mods confirmed that will be in the next mindcrack pack.

Slaagathor

Jul 29, 2019
Originally i was talking about server owners in general and not to the specific Mindcrack etc :p I just wanted to know if there are already some mods confirmed that will be in the next mindcrack pack.

I think the point that PhilHibbs was making is that while Mindcrack is distributed via the FTB launcher, as a pack, it is entirely up to the Mindcrack pack team as to whether they update and to what degree that a world reset would happen. There is no way to know if a reset will be required without knowing what mods that affect world gen may be added/removed, and only the Mindcrackers (Guude, VintageBeef, etc) have any ideas at this point. Until we hear from them, or they release a pack, its all just speculation.