FTB Pack Comparison

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Looks good. Alpha Beta and dev? How do you figure the differences? Right now I have IC2/Forestry/Buildcraft working in 1.5 (some missing textures, and probably some coding left to do) Edit: Logistics Pipes is 1.5 ready as well. I think that is at least enough for dev/beta
Right now I'm just using what it says on the official spreadsheet, but I'm thinking of changing it so alpha/beta is a public download, then dev means that you can compile code (from github or similar) and it will work with 1.5. Also is your BC/LP just from compiling the code yourself or is there a download I am unaware of?

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
For the public FTB sheet:
Dev: I don't know what status the mod has, but versions are available and partly work
Alpha: Mod author has either labeled the mod as such or i got the feeling that there's still much to do before a stable 1.5.1 release
Beta: Mod author has either labeled the mod as such or i think that only bugs need to be fixed and the most of the mods content is working

ymer234

Jul 29, 2019
Both extrabees and thermal expansion is available in the MindCrack version of FTB. They are not in the spredsheet

Aceldamor

Jul 29, 2019
Sjin's channel is now stating that the Yogs pack has Flan's weapons and planes mod. Can't confirm because i'm at work :p

*edit...

At this point it looks like Duncan added it. Not sure if it'll make it to the FTB launcher. I don't know Flan's (sp) wishes on distribution of his mods.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Right now I'm just using what it says on the official spreadsheet, but I'm thinking of changing it so alpha/beta is a public download, then dev means that you can compile code (from github or similar) and it will work with 1.5. Also is your BC/LP just from compiling the code yourself or is there a download I am unaware of?

BC I compile myself, yes. Nevermind about LP, confused it with Applied Energistics. :(

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Figured I'd drop in and leave a note here, since I'm having another insomniac night...

TE is effectively ready for release; it's only flagged as a beta because there are some major mods out there that aren't ready and their APIs may be changing, so I can't promise inter-mod stability.

That's basically why OmniTools hasn't been released yet either, even in a beta form - it relies on a ton of APIs to make that wrench work. But you can update them both in the spreadsheet if you like. CoFH stands ready.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Okay thanks Lemming, updated the spreadsheet. And seeing your changelog, maybe we won't have FlatBedrock anymore.
Also, just thought I'd say something I heard on Soaryn's steam earlier. They were talking about what would happen if 'a certain mod' did not update. Don't take my word for it, but I'm really unsure about RP2 being updated right now.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Okay thanks Lemming, updated the spreadsheet. And seeing your changelog, maybe we won't have FlatBedrock anymore.
Also, just thought I'd say something I heard on Soaryn's steam earlier. They were talking about what would happen if 'a certain mod' did not update. Don't take my word for it, but I'm really unsure about RP2 being updated right now.
Is there even a point to updating without RP2? honestly I might as well be playing vanilla

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Is there even a point to updating without RP2? honestly I might as well be playing vanilla

Really? Frames and easier redstone wire are that valuable to you? All of TE, IC2, GT, AE are like... not enough? Ender storage and Railcraft? Thaumcraft and (soon) Ars Magica? Factorization?

Seems pretty unreasonable, man. You can have (better) microblocks and awesome inventory management still.

Everyone wants frame, but every mod author seems to shy away from doing it because it's evidently a massive hack internally and mod authors grumble at having to support them. "Frames break everything" is not an uncommon thing to heard said by developers.

I suspect if there isn't a RP2 by May 1, everyone is going to move forward without them. DW20's been dropping hints that even his pack may drop it soon. Which will suck for him, but I can't help but think that part of the reason he's added AE is that he's going to rip out his SP sorting system in favor of IE right before the update if RP2 can't get on board.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Really? Frames and easier redstone wire are that valuable to you? All of TE, IC2, GT, AE are like... not enough?
Well you cant really automate a lot of stuff without them. Frames, block breakers, deployers, bundled cables, and pneumatic tubes, there are no good replacements for those[DOUBLEPOST=1365707977][/DOUBLEPOST]I would not want to play without builcraft, thermal expansion, ic2, rp2, wireless redstone or AE. They are simply not replaceable

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Well you cant really automate a lot of stuff without them.

That's just not true though.

Frames, block breakers

Frames and block breakers are a tool for extremely inexpensive and powerful mining machines that people love because they're incredibly powerful compared to every other option in the game, and in most cases for a fraction of the price.

, deployers,

Not really necessary for anything these days. They are nice to have.

bundled cables, and pneumatic tubes,

Nice to have, but replacements are out there (or on the way). The MFR stuff will be pretty much better on all fronts.

And as for tubes being required for automation? Just not true anymore! In fact, tubes are usually the laggy, complex and oversized way to go now.

there are no good replacements for those

Besides frames, I think you don't actually suffer the loss of capabilities. You just have to learn new stuff.

[DOUBLEPOST=1365707977][/DOUBLEPOST]I would not want to play without builcraft, thermal expansion, ic2, rp2, wireless redstone or AE. They are simply not replaceable[/quote]

There is one very bad thing. Wireless Redstone from Chickenbones requires RP2. You cannot use it without RP2. So RP2 1.5.1 comes out, or Chickenbones replaces that part of the mod, or that mod dies too. Fortunately the old Wireless Redstone mod still works well, but unfortunately it lacks some of the great amenities like the handheld transmitter.

I understand these are your feelings and those feelings are real. I don't mean to imply you should not have them or that you do not have a right to. But I feel like it's crazy unfair to other hardworking mod authors to not every try other stuff. And other stuff is out there.

We also should send a strong message to mod authors that open source and open inclusion stuff will be favored over closed source and closed policy work. This 1.5 bump is a great example of this. Look at the mods that were ported over quickly: they were mostly open source and open license. All the mods that are lagging are closed source and closed license. As selfish users, we get what we want faster from open source work.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
wall of text
For one thing, I use the direwolf20 pack, so some mods like MFR and GT add replacements (like being able to milk cows automatically with the rancher) and I also don't want to add 10 different mods to replace one. Deployers are essential for a lot of stuff, at least the kind of stuff I like to do. Frames arent just for quarries they are for all kinds of cool stuff. Like sliding doors, or oddedexs auto solar panel placing machines, they are essential for a lot of cool designs. Ic2, thermal expansion, railcraft, xycraft etc all give machines that do certain things, Rp gives you tubes, wires, computers, frames, microblocks etc, and lets you build them yourself.

Edit: Xycraft does add some blocks like that too I suppose like liquid voids

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
For one thing, I use the direwolf20 pack, so some mods like MFR and GT add replacements (like being able to milk cows automatically with the rancher) and I also don't want to add 10 different mods to replace one. Deployers are essential for a lot of stuff, at least the kind of stuff I like to do. Frames arent just for quarries they are for all kinds of cool stuff. Like sliding doors, or oddedexs auto solar panel placing machines, they are essential for a lot of cool designs. Ic2, thermal expansion, railcraft, xycraft etc all give machines that do certain things, Rp gives you tubes, wires, computers, frames, microblocks etc, and lets you build them yourself.

Edit: Xycraft does add some blocks like that too I suppose like liquid voids

Just remember that every time we rely on closed-source mods we set ourselves up for this problem on big updates. Every time.

Also: I wish liquid voids worked right. They would be so much cooler if they did.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Just remember that every time we rely on closed-source mods we set ourselves up for this problem on big updates. Every time.

Also: I wish liquid voids worked right. They would be so much cooler if they did.
I think liquid voids work? hopefully Briman's replacement mod is cool. If FTB updates without it I will probably stay in 1.4.7 until either RP updates or there is a descent replacement, if that doesn't happen after a while I would probably switch to vanilla, or maybe just have mo creatures or something

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Is this the "say what part of RP2 is indispensable to you" thread? If so, I'm rather attached to the sickle, the gems, flax and canvas bags.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, please don't turn this into a RP2 flame war. I was stating something I heard, just so everyone would know, not trying to start a debate about RP2. I don't want this thread locked and neither does anybody else.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, please don't turn this into a RP2 flame war. I was stating something I heard, just so everyone would know, not trying to start a debate about RP2. I don't want this thread locked and neither does anybody else.

no worries, I tried before to spam treads in flamewars so they get closed, got really nasty, but never closed.

GearSB

Jul 29, 2019
Believe it or not, this isn't the longest Eloraam has gone without a progress update.

Though we're getting close.

What worries me is that a few big mod authors feel that it's necessary to start duping some of RP2's functionality.

These are the people who are most likely to be in communication with Elo in some form or another.

This makes me worry that Elo has been hit by the ever feared 'Bus'.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Believe it or not, this isn't the longest Eloraam has gone without a progress update.

Though we're getting close.

What worries me is that a few big mod authors feel that it's necessary to start duping some of RP2's functionality.

These are the people who are most likely to be in communication with Elo in some form or another.

This makes me worry that Elo has been hit by the ever feared 'Bus'.

last time was 9 months... and she is a woman o_O