Votes: 121 51.3%
  • I don't like it!

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • I can't decide!

Votes: 37 15.7%

• Total voters

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
Grat post, I totally agree with you exept for one thing:IC2 and GT are not the only mods in the pack, GT makes people dive into TE or AE to double their ores, they don't make a macerator, this days

Reactions: NosePicker5555

xXSpawnXx

Jul 29, 2019
Grat post, I totally agree with you exept for one thing:IC2 and GT are not the only mods in the pack, GT makes people dive into TE or AE to double their ores, they don't make a macerator, this days

Thats true, GT doesnt allow you to have IC2 has start mod for 2x Ore output and such, you'll need TE for that to be still relatively cheap.
Anyway, GregTech requires is alot of machinery to make more machines.
Example? Solar Panel needs Silicon. Silicon Plate needs Ind. Blast Furnace with Silicon Cell. Blast Furnace needs Rolling Machine, Silicon Cell needs Ind. Electroyzer (whatever you spell it) that needs 3 different machines. ALL for the Solar Panel.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
Thats true, GT doesnt allow you to have IC2 has start mod for 2x Ore output and such, you'll need TE for that to be still relatively cheap.
Anyway, GregTech requires is alot of machinery to make more machines.
Example? Solar Panel needs Silicon. Silicon Plate needs Ind. Blast Furnace with Silicon Cell. Blast Furnace needs Rolling Machine, Silicon Cell needs Ind. Electroyzer (whatever you spell it) that needs 3 different machines. ALL for the Solar Panel.
In the new GT you don't need a rolling machine which means you don't need MJs to make advanced alloys
Also who says that you NEED to double ores in the beginning?

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
In the new GT you don't need a rolling machine which means you don't need MJs to make advanced alloys
I checked out the new GT and it is harder but also...more....adicting

No one says that you need but, I'm such a "packrat" that I usually make a AE grind stone to get my doubled ores that I use to get my pulverizerI lve pulverizers, they give you gold when pulverizing copper

xXSpawnXx

Jul 29, 2019

.. I dint xD
I just said that IF you want 2x Ore output at start you wont be able to use IC2. I said that you can't get IC2 as start mod. Also, I wasnt sure if that was really a feature, I had heard of it (The advanced alloy machine) but I wasnt sure.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
As long as ore are limiting most of your other methods of progression -- in basic GregTech, this is pretty much the case until you're well-established in the Nether, or hunting Iridium -- quite a few people will assume that is precisely the case.

It's less of an issue if you don't use standalone IC2+GregTech, because an assembly table can cut most of the copper out of your production line, leaving iron as the primary bottleneck, but BuildCraft power is not exactly a simple system.

mzlapq2

Jul 29, 2019
I have played with past iterations of Gregtech and liked many aspects of it. When combined in the feed the beast packs it was interesting, cool and worked well as a companion to the pack. Now comes 1.5 and... sigh Gregtech has elbowed out the competition. What i mean by that is that it has systematically changed enough recipes so that you HAVE to progress though the IC2/Gregtech tree all the way to an industrial blast furnace to use almost any other mod. Specifically it has accomplished this by making flint and steel require a steel nugget... which can only be gotten through a blast furnace and only the Gregtech blast furnace can be build without going to the nether which you cant do without a flint and steel. Suddenly any mod that requires anything from the nether suddenly requires that you setup Gregtech. I haven't been able to find a config option for this anywhere. IMO Gregtech should not have changed non IC2 recipies its gone too far and i personally wont be playing with it.

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
I like how it adds stuff. The hard recipes is a fake increase of difficulty. Increasing the time you get something doesn't mean it is hard. Though some recipes I can agree on. Others are stupid. I still play with GT enabled.

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
I like the core idea, and the end-game content it adds is unparalleled, but I find its execution cringe-worthy. With sensible config (Personally, I HATE it when a mod overrides recipies), GregTech can be a good mod. But as it is in the current FTB packs, GregTech is very invasive.

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
I have played with past iterations of Gregtech and liked many aspects of it. When combined in the feed the beast packs it was interesting, cool and worked well as a companion to the pack. Now comes 1.5 and... sigh Gregtech has elbowed out the competition. What i mean by that is that it has systematically changed enough recipes so that you HAVE to progress though the IC2/Gregtech tree all the way to an industrial blast furnace to use almost any other mod. Specifically it has accomplished this by making flint and steel require a steel nugget... which can only be gotten through a blast furnace and only the Gregtech blast furnace can be build without going to the nether which you cant do without a flint and steel. Suddenly any mod that requires anything from the nether suddenly requires that you setup Gregtech. I haven't been able to find a config option for this anywhere. IMO Gregtech should not have changed non IC2 recipies its gone too far and i personally wont be playing with it.

What about mekanism?I always use mekanism way to go to the nether or ArsMagica

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech fails to understand why Minecraft is easy, then fails to make it hard.

Why? Time is infinite internally, all other resource limits are a function of time spend. Gregtech mostly adds more time costs. This means costs become external to game environment.

This makes Gregtech bad.

Thus ends game analysis for today.

My thoughts here^

Gregtech is fine for what it adds. Not what it changes. I'd like to spend more time using cool things rather than getting resources to make said things. It's okay to make things somewhat expensive. But not to the point where I'd not only use another mod for the exact same function (and have more fun and time getting to use it) but to the point where trying to get all materials makes the game less fun and I stop playing.

Overall I think the FTB team would stop making hardmode default. People who are new to FTB will usually not want FTB and it will be more work. People who do want it are usually more experienced and can enable it. Gregtech is a great content pack. not a mod-ification.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of lovely diamonds and doubling ore output, in the case of the Ultimate pack TE stands out. What I mean is GT makes the Macerator takes diamonds, Factorization also requires diamonds for its Grinder(similar use), but TE's Pulverizer does not. Looking into the config there's even an option to enable the diamond recipe. Only two diamonds, still making it the cheapest option(GT using three, Factorization using 9 to make the shards).

Level the playing field a little. :eek: (Don't kill me if this actually gets changed in the pack)

There are other ore doubling options that can actually be cheaper depending on your spawn. With Factorization there's the Slag Furnace, which I would normally use when making the pulverizer for the chance to double, but with Tinker's Construct some of the villages spawn with a nearly completed smelter which doubles ores. All you generally have to add are a controller, lava tank, and the thing to empty it. The one I found could make metal blocks with just adding those things to it (such as iron blocks) and was big enough for 18 ore at a time (so 4 blocks of iron).

The other thing to mention about Tinker's Construct is, of course, how you can make a mining pick to end all mining picks. For example you can make a high durability reinforced 3 mining pick that has a super fast pick speed, can mine everything, repairs itself, has fortune, and can use electricity all without actually touching an enchanting table. Sure for Fortune 3 you're looking at 450 lapis lazuli and to get all the bang for your buck you'll need to throw in some diamonds, an emerald, some gold, a nether star, and some other stuff, but other than making the pick itself a lot of that can be added later. If you do manage to break the pick it doesn't disappear, you just bring it to a table and throw in an ingot that matches the pick head's material. Even in the early game this is useful as you can make stone picks with two sticks and a single cobble and repair it with a cobble when it breaks. Same thing for iron or steel.

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
so just because it keeps IC2 alive it can't have easy mode on?

last time I heard this was FTB, not GregTheBeast with evey pack centered around it.

I never said you can not have it on easy mode.What I was saying is that things like diamond drills for quarrys or the storage block requiring a Compressor keep IC2 alive.

You replace IC2 and use other mods for doubling ores or generate power, but Greg, The Beast, will obligue you (as long as you don't change the configs) to use IC.

Sky Noble

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, GT is expensive and just changes the whole game completely.
Like, if you wanted to take the ThaumCraft road, at some point, GT will get in the way forcing you to focus on GT and not your desired mod!
But there are good points about it, it can double the amount of gold/diamonds by putting the ore into a Macerator!