FTB Launcher News

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Will the Curse Launcher be required to remain in memory once the pack is loaded, or can we shut it down at that point?

I'm on the side of those who suspect this Curse thing is bloatware. But even Blizzard shuts down their big gawdawful launcher app once StarCraft starts up. In other words, once the actual game is running, they DO allow us to close out their bloatware.

Anytime you see that an app (a gaming app, something that should NEVER need full-time access) has an option to "launch at Windows startup"... I think that should arouse some suspicions as to corporate motives. Oh, our Curse app running in the background 24/7/365? Nah, pay that thing no mind, dude! Just play your games and enjoy! sigh

Mindfeak926

Jul 29, 2019
Will the Curse Launcher be required to remain in memory once the pack is loaded, or can we shut it down at that point?

I'm on the side of those who suspect this Curse thing is bloatware. But even Blizzard shuts down their big gawdawful launcher app once StarCraft starts up. In other words, once the actual game is running, they DO allow us to close out their bloatware.

Anytime you see that an app (a gaming app, something that should NEVER need full-time access) has an option to "launch at Windows startup"... I think that should arouse some suspicions as to corporate motives. Oh, our Curse app running in the background 24/7/365? Nah, pay that thing no mind, dude! Just play your games and enjoy! sigh
you can close the curse launcher after it starts at least that's what i do.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Check my post on the previous page. Most software today has these options, although they're usually set as defaults. This started with some PC software but exploded with "Smartphones" and Tablets. Even though retarded as far as hardware resources go (not so badly these days) the average user of such devices doesn't want to wait for software to load and is willing to sacrifice performance.

I have been disabling "Launch on Windows start" options on all my software for twenty years, except for things like anti-malware or system monitors (professionally)... I can wait 2 seconds for Outlook to start and another few waiting for mail to download.

As stated before, if you configure the client properly you can completely remove it from memory after the Mojang launcher starts. It would be nice if this happened automatically, but then Curse Voice wouldn't work for those who use it.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv

There are often valid reasons to stay loaded in the background. In the case of the Curse app it is because it is primarily a communication platform, which wouldn't server its purpose if not loaded. Now I'll grant you that those features may not appeal to you, which is why there is a config option to disable that behaviour and make the application close completely instead of minimising. Once the vanilla Minecraft launcher is loaded you can close the Curse app at any time.

Sungak

Jul 29, 2019
My preference over the months have been to use MultiMC for general launching purposes, and FTB.jar only for downloading, initial launch verification and updating. So fun questions ahead.

-> Does the Curse client have the ability to use your old FTB install settings? In particular the current Instance install directories? This is somewhat important as I re-directed FTB/MultiMC to a dedicated PCIe SSD.
-> Will I still be able to launch instances I build in Curse via MultiMC, if the above is possible?
-> Why am I being asked for a new account with Curse, when I already have an account here, which (per the header/footer artwork) appears to be part of Curse?
-> Will there be a method to launch Curse without a Curse login, as I do today with FTB.jar?
-> Will the Linux client be Generic-Unix (i.e. a Java jar) or Linux only? I'm strongly considering a dual-boot of Solaris or CentOS, instead of upgrading to Windows 10. :p

Reactions: RedBoss

Telshin

Jul 29, 2019
-> Does the Curse client have the ability to use your old FTB install settings? In particular the current Instance install directories? This is somewhat important as I re-directed FTB/MultiMC to a dedicated PCIe SSD.

We do not currently have the ability to use your old FTB install settings.
-> Will I still be able to launch instances I build in Curse via MultiMC, if the above is possible?

I'm not familiar with the MultiMC launcher, so I won't be able to answer that question.
-> Why am I being asked for a new account with Curse, when I already have an account here, which (per the header/footer artwork) appears to be part of Curse?

The FTB forums does not have a login that is tied to our authentication servers, you have to create a Curse account. If you already did that over at www.feed-the-beast.com, you already have a Curse account.
-> Will the Linux client be Generic-Unix (i.e. a Java jar) or Linux only? I'm strongly considering a dual-boot of Solaris or CentOS, instead of upgrading to Windows 10. :p

We are still testing things in concerns to the Linux client.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
After official answers I can probably add following comments:

You can always change MC installation location from Curse App settings. Then copy save and configs from old instance.

I've seen comment about symlinks. Make a symlink which points from <mmc instance dir>/minecraft to <Curse instance directory> Should work but I have not tested it.

Reactions: Sungak

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
You can always change MC installation location from Curse App settings. Then copy save and configs from old instance.

I believe it moves your files to the new location automatically.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
I'm not defending anyone(honestly Curse App uses shitloads of memory) but is it possible that the next guy who claims that Curse App decreases fps/tps gives some proper proofs for the claim. I think and I feel are not proper proofs.

Reactions: Inaeo

Sungak

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen comment about symlinks. Make a symlink which points from <mmc instance dir>/minecraft to <Curse instance directory> Should work but I have not tested it.

Thanks, that part would work OK.

And yes, there are ways to create the Windows equivalent of 'symlinks' (well, more like unix hardlinks) but it does require installing a mini-app. I used to do that when launching multiple 'instances' of Eve Online (back before the launchers came out). It was just one actual install, but settings for each instance was cached in Registry based on what directory it launched from. An amusing yet viable kludge. :)

I'm not defending anyone(honestly Curse App uses shitloads of memory) but is it possible that the next guy who claims that Curse App decreases fps/tps gives some proper proofs for the claim. I think and I feel are not proper proofs.

As long as Curse client is true 64-bit, or has a version like that (similar to running in Java 8 64-bit), I'd have relatively few issues from a performance standpoint. Running a 32-bit client on Win7-64 seems hit-or-miss at times; I suspect its because I sometimes push systems to their limits without knowing it (classic SysAdmin MO - twerk it until something breaks ;-) ).

My primary draw to the original FTB.jar was that it did not need any login except for Mojang's. This was the only launcher I knew of that did this (other than MultiMC), and as someone working in the Financial Sector it was something I could get behind. If I do need to use an actual login going forward, I have ways to secure that, but its annoying and complicated. :p

Last edited:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
A few notes that seem to be confusing people and maybe some tips. The Curse Launcher uses the new Minecraft launcher which If I am not mistaken has it's own java. (Executable downloads its own runtime; Java no longer needs to be installed) Link To Wiki:http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Minecraft_launcher#1.6.61
Still a good idea to keep yours updated. There are a few settings that can be changed to help you out. The launcher is set to Admin so if you don't want it set to that you might want to change it. Also under minecraft Launcher Vis it is set to keep open which means even when it is closed by you it will stay open on ur bar if you want to to close just set it to close when game starts or if you don't mind it open set it to hide and reopen.

M

MrDee01

Just a comment about all this. It says in the post that modpack support was recently added to Mac, but it does not actually allow me to play any of the modpacks off the launcher, only browse them and download them. In the changelog of the launcher, it says it fixed the issue with Java detection for Mac, yet it still thinks I don't have Java. I really hope this issue is fixed before the FTB launcher retires, as I will otherwise be cut off from a lot of great modpacks.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Just a comment about all this. It says in the post that modpack support was recently added to Mac, but it does not actually allow me to play any of the modpacks off the launcher, only browse them and download them. In the changelog of the launcher, it says it fixed the issue with Java detection for Mac, yet it still thinks I don't have Java. I really hope this issue is fixed before the FTB launcher retires, as I will otherwise be cut off from a lot of great modpacks.

Have you submitted a bug report to Curse? They can't fix what nobody tells them about.

I do not intend this in any way to sound harsh, but in my 20+ years of IT experience it's even harder to get people to report issues than it is to get them to read the posts in a forum thread before posting the 15th duplicate response to the first post :D

Reactions: jikuja

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
A few notes that seem to be confusing people and maybe some tips. The Curse Launcher uses the new Minecraft launcher which If I am not mistaken has it's own java. (Executable downloads its own runtime; Java no longer needs to be installed) Link To Wiki:http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Minecraft_launcher#1.6.61
Still a good idea to keep yours updated. There are a few settings that can be changed to help you out. The launcher is set to Admin so if you don't want it set to that you might want to change it. Also under minecraft Launcher Vis it is set to keep open which means even when it is closed by you it will stay open on ur bar if you want to to close just set it to close when game starts or if you don't mind it open set it to hide and reopen.

The java version can now be changed in the minecraft app settings on the curse launcher. It can either use the built in version or a version installed on the PC.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Would the FTB team be angry if someone took what's available behind the scenes for the FTB launcher and adapted it to another? Sans branding, of course. I ask because I'd be...interested in such a thing, if nothing else than as a personal project to kill time and learn things. I'm really not looking forward to having yet another launcher for modpacks when FTB already has one that works relatively well and has good exposure, but whatever. So long as I can disable the "communication platform" nonsense, if I want to communicate with people in-game, I'll use in-game chat, I'll be okay. Maybe have an option to kill Curse once everything is started up, like how FTB does it.

Sungak

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen no obvious access to a settings screen when you're not logged in. Traditionally there should at least be something minimal available, for settings like 'don't start on boot.'

Alternatively, do not default the app to start on boot. This is normally a big turn-off to minimalist Windows users, particularly when optimizing for gaming.

At this point, there is nothing that's attracting me to Curse Voice. When the unbranded FTB.jar becomes available I will switch to that instead; And will continue to promote that one, if it allows download/launch/etc without a site login.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Wait...no settings unless you're logged in? Are they stored server-side? If so, might I ask why? That is absolutely nonsensical, if true.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I've seen no obvious access to a settings screen when you're not logged in. Traditionally there should at least be something minimal available, for settings like 'don't start on boot.'

Alternatively, do not default the app to start on boot. This is normally a big turn-off to minimalist Windows users, particularly when optimizing for gaming.

At this point, there is nothing that's attracting me to Curse Voice. When the unbranded FTB.jar becomes available I will switch to that instead; And will continue to promote that one, if it allows download/launch/etc without a site login.

From a previous post:

By "Curse behaving properly" I mean you select the "General" section of Settings and set Curse to NOT load on Windows startup and also, in the section labelled "When I click X", select the "Exit Curse" option. IIRC this option is set to one of the "Minimize" options by default.

In my experience you have to load any launcher before you can change it's settings.

Also, posting comments on the Curse launcher would probably be better served by making them at Curse, not on FtB.