FTB Launcher News

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
My version can juggle 30 chainsaws sideways and says its ABCs. I think most people are over thinking this. I have been using curse for years now. Use it for wow, skyrim, minecraft tex packs, and etc. It covers like 5 or 6 of my games so when they said they were coming out with another one where I could not only run mod packs for minecraft, make my own pack, adjust mods in pack to my taste and all the while keep up with my friends playing other games linked to the launcher from my other games like my wow list I said sweet! I mean the forum your posting on are run by curse. rofl!

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Let's tone it down a bit with the attacks guys

H

Heregerifa

I have had to buy a new computer which means I have the new launcher. I am a bit put out by all the extra stuff it loads but even more so in that it does not seem to provide direct links to the old FTB 3rd party packs. I am sure they are there somewhere but where to axxess them?

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I have had to buy a new computer which means I have the new launcher. I am a bit put out by all the extra stuff it loads but even more so in that it does not seem to provide direct links to the old FTB 3rd party packs. I am sure they are there somewhere but where to axxess them?
You can save the file with the mod pack in it and just put it in the new launcher at least till they switch to curse.

M

Minecraftpawnda

I Think it's a great idea in general but a big but for me personally is that I don't really understand why you're going to "shut down" the ftb launcher. Man people seems to be upset about it and so am I.

I just wanted to know if I can continue to use it? Or do I have to install the curse launcher/client?

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
I Think it's a great idea in general but a big but for me personally is that I don't really understand why you're going to "shut down" the ftb launcher. Man people seems to be upset about it and so am I.

I just wanted to know if I can continue to use it? Or do I have to install the curse launcher/client?
We still plan to make a bare bones version of the launcher stripped of all branding and FTB content available for those packs that remain on the client and cannot move for one reason or another.

M

MCHypeTrain

In the old launcher, I can edit the modlist from a modpack. How can I do it in the curse launcher?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
In the old launcher, I can edit the modlist from a modpack. How can I do it in the curse launcher?

First, there used to be a "lock" setting on "Profile Options". This appears to have been removed recently, so it looks like you won't need to do that anymore.

To Disable/Completely remove mods a from a pack:
1). Right Click the Icon for the loaded mod pack you want to change
2). When the list of the mods in the pack currently installed on your system loads, there's a box with a check mark on the left of each mod. If it is Green, the pack is enabled. Click the box to turn it Red and the pack is disabled.

3). Conversely, when you are sure you don't want the mod at all there's a Red "X" on the far right of each pack... Clicking this will remove the mod completely.

To add mods:

1). There is a button near the top of the window labelled "Get More Content". Click it.
2). A new list of all the usable mods appears, based on the versions of Minecraft and Forge the profile lists. (I only saw one mod listed incorrectly in early beta). if you see an interesting mod hover your pointing device/digit over the mod icon... If you see a black area with "Installed" printed in it, then the mod is already in the pack, possibly disabled. If a green button appears saying "Install" and you want the pack, click it. The mod loads and installs immediately.

That's it.

Note: If you are changing a supported pack, say FtB Unstable 1.9, you can make a copy of the original pack by Right Clicking the Pack icon in the first Minecraft screen and selecting "Duplicate Profile". This creates a completely separate installation of the pack that you can rename. The same Drop Menu also contains the selection "Delete Profile", which completely removes the selection from the system.

I create a copy of a non-custom pack and then modify it since "Official" packs also come with custom configurations that I don't want to disrupt by removing a key mod. If I make a mistake it's easier to delete the my error and make a new working copy than it is to download the whole pack again.

M

MCHypeTrain

First, there used to be a "lock" setting on "Profile Options". This appears to have been removed recently, so it looks like you won't need to do that anymore.

To Disable/Completely remove mods a from a pack:
1). Right Click the Icon for the loaded mod pack you want to change
2). When the list of the mods in the pack currently installed on your system loads, there's a box with a check mark on the left of each mod. If it is Green, the pack is enabled. Click the box to turn it Red and the pack is disabled.

3). Conversely, when you are sure you don't want the mod at all there's a Red "X" on the far right of each pack... Clicking this will remove the mod completely.

To add mods:

1). There is a button near the top of the window labelled "Get More Content". Click it.
2). A new list of all the usable mods appears, based on the versions of Minecraft and Forge the profile lists. (I only saw one mod listed incorrectly in early beta). if you see an interesting mod hover your pointing device/digit over the mod icon... If you see a black area with "Installed" printed in it, then the mod is already in the pack, possibly disabled. If a green button appears saying "Install" and you want the pack, click it. The mod loads and installs immediately.

That's it.

Note: If you are changing a supported pack, say FtB Unstable 1.9, you can make a copy of the original pack by Right Clicking the Pack icon in the first Minecraft screen and selecting "Duplicate Profile". This creates a completely separate installation of the pack that you can rename. The same Drop Menu also contains the selection "Delete Profile", which completely removes the selection from the system.

I create a copy of a non-custom pack and then modify it since "Official" packs also come with custom configurations that I don't want to disrupt by removing a key mod. If I make a mistake it's easier to delete the my error and make a new working copy than it is to download the whole pack again.

Thanks, I see, my version of the launcher still has "Lock" setting in the "Profile Options".

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
If you download a pack, it's locked by default. If you make your own, it doesn't even have the option.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
If you download a pack, it's locked by default. If you make your own, it doesn't even have the option.

That's what happened... when I verified the instructions above I checked them on the 1.10 pack I'm playing with. Sorry for the disinformation. Just uncheck the "Locked" box to open the pack for changes.

V

vSp1d3r

I guess I'll be another one to express my disappointment in the loss of the original launcher. It was simple, easy to use, and straight to the point with no bloat. Perfect for many of my friends who are not so tech savvy.
under the big red download button there are buttons saying legacy <Operating system> these are the original launchers

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
under the big red download button there are buttons saying legacy <Operating system> these are the original launchers
There's a difference between being "available" and being actively developed and supported. The latter is what I'm disapointed about.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
There's a difference between being "available" and being actively developed and supported. The latter is what I'm disapointed about.

Awful truth about FTB Launcher's codebase has been said in this topic earlier. Basically it is unmaintainable. "Nobody" wants to work with that code because reasons.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
-> Will the Linux client be Generic-Unix (i.e. a Java jar) or Linux only? I'm strongly considering a dual-boot of Solaris or CentOS, instead of upgrading to Windows 10. :p

If the Linux version ends up being anything like the Windows version, then you'll have multiple code sources and executables. The back-end is primarily a lot of C#, with a few native third-party DLLs. The front-end is Electron, a Chromium-based browser package designed specifically for cross-platform user interfaces. Yes, the entire GUI is a web browser running HTML and Javascript (one massive one in particular), packed away in compressed/encrypted blobs, which can be decompressed easily enough. The overlay functionality is primarily native code (such as EasyHook), though I doubt they'd even include this in a Linux build. Probably wouldn't include the hacky Friend Sync stuff either. So overall, I think it's safe to say that if they use the same code base they're already using then the binary portions will likely be built for Linux specifically.

By the way, for the people who have asked about getting rid of the chat aspect, technically you can by going into offline mode, and the interface becomes a tad cleaner. Downside is that it then nags you at the bottom.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh, C# backend, you say? I might have to, ahem, have a look at this. I am...curious. Might not be too terribly keen on the browser frontend since, in my experience, they tend to have a fair bit of overhead vs. something more along the lines of WPF or WinForms, but if its done right, I suppose it could be performant enough. If nothing else, looking at it might be a good learning experience. Colour me intrigued.

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
So when can I use this app without needing to create a curse login? And when will it be a true standalone app and not shove all the social-networking "curse voice" crap I don't need or want down my throat?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
So when can I use this app without needing to create a curse login? And when will it be a true standalone app and not shove all the social-networking "curse voice" crap I don't need or want down my throat?
I'm sorry to say as I don't really like the curse launcher myself (Especially as I can't use it due to not supporting my OS) but I fear the answer will simple be never

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry to say as I don't really like the curse launcher myself (Especially as I can't use it due to not supporting my OS) but I fear the answer will simple be never

Well that's a shame... The whole idea of this new "Launcher" was to take authentication away from 3rd-party launchers and give it back to the vanilla launcher. Instead what we get is a new "app" that requires a 3rd-party account to even use.