FTB Launcher News

T

Techly88

There are some big pluses to the curse launcher. The biggest is the ability to create multiple instances of the same pack. This allows you to an instance dedicated to a specific server that might be staying on certain version of the pack or may have disabled/added a few mods and still have another instance that is the most recent version of the pack with all of the defaults. It is also much easier to download and install additional mods into a pack or create a custom pack on. While I could do with out some of the other features of the launcher overall I like it and use it. Not a big fan of its look and feel though but I've gotten used to it.

What about the "weight" of this thing? People are complaining it taking significantly more resources than the FTB counterparts (according to this thread). I can understand why it could be (more features=higher resources demand) but at the same time there should be "switches" for stuffs like the voice thingy and anything else that could be "slowing things done".

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
What about the "weight" of this thing? People are complaining it taking significantly more resources than the FTB counterparts (according to this thread). I can understand why it could be (more features=higher resources demand) but at the same time there should be "switches" for stuffs like the voice thingy and anything else that could be "slowing things done".

Go into the settings and tell it to shut down the launcher when the game starts... No resources lost. I have not seen any difference between Curse and FtB launcher performance, but my system was updated only two and a half years ago :)

T

Techly88

Go into the settings and tell it to shut down the launcher when the game starts... No resources lost. I have not seen any difference between Curse and FtB launcher performance, but my system was updated only two and a half years ago :)

Thanks you for the insight on the application. Because some things (like darn Skype) will continue to suck considerable resources even when idling on the PC.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013

Ummm. Does that option also control Curse App or only vanilla launcher?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Ummm. Does that option also control Curse App or only vanilla launcher?

Sorry, you are correct. It shuts down the Mojang launcher when the game starts. However, just a few seconds of experimentation shows that as soon as Mojang is loaded (before you click "Play" on the Mojang launcher) you can shut down Curse completely by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner of the Curse client, assuming you configured Curse to behave properly in the first place. This is my default habit... I don't like anything unnecessary running in the background.

By "Curse behaving properly" I mean you select the "General" section of Settings and set Curse to NOT load on Windows startup and also, in the section labelled "When I click X", select the "Exit Curse" option. IIRC this option is set to one of the "Minimize" options by default.

These are things I do with all my software, particularly with today's trend of leaving everything running in the background to shave a few microseconds of load time... After 36 years as an IT engineer you learn that the first thing to do when people complain about needing more memory is to kill all the minimized software that auto-loads in the background :D

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks you for the insight on the application. Because some things (like darn Skype) will continue to suck considerable resources even when idling on the PC.

Anything idling in the background sucks considerable resources... You'd be surprised how many Windows Services are running in the background that some people never use, but because the OS config is for the general population they're started up on boot. For example, if you have the only PC on your network you may not really need "File and Print Sharing" running on your system.

Granted, shutting down parts of the operating system is beyond a lot of people and you have to know what you're doing or you could have problems, but if you make the effort to learn the internal workings of your OS there's endless room for tweakage.

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
I know of the features that still needs to be implemented is downloading server packs. That is the only feature I still use in the old client currently. The curse client does have a lot of nice features around multiple instances and ease of add/removed mods from a standard pack. So overall I do like the curse client.

Also, is there any plans now that MAC version is out to also support Linux?
Linux is actively being worked on now.

Bluedog444

Jul 29, 2019
@slowpoke Would it be possible to have a modpack of the month kind of thing built into the curse launcher and on the curse/curseforge website. I was thinking a vote made by the community each month to feature a modpack in a section or category. That way it would replace the 3rd party equivalent thats on FTB now.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I'll be another one to express my disappointment in the loss of the original launcher. It was simple, easy to use, and straight to the point with no bloat. Perfect for many of my friends who are not so tech savvy.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
With no bloat: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/4n3yju/ftb_launcher_is_using_10_gb_of_ram/ :p

FTB Launcher was/is simple and most of the time lightweight but...
  1. Code is unmaintainable. Nothing can be really reused or tested, really bad inter-dependencies, horrible erros with Swing code etc.
  2. I've heard some pack makers complaining that FTB launcher is too simple and it should offer more features e.g. multiple instances per pack.
Just let it die. As soon as curse offers a tool for linux users.

Edit: Curse App still misses some features I personally would like to see. Most important feature from FTB Launcher is Upload Log button. Maybe soon.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
It's not just the fact that it does more things. My major issue with it is that its built on Chrome, which means when you are running it, you are literally running another web browser. Take a look at the resources used by a single web browser, then multiply that by every piece of software that runs its own web browser (Slack, CurseVoice, Discord, Atom, to name a few big ones that people often have running all at once). I've heard it does some other problematic things in terms of performance and security, but I don't know enough to really discuss it.

This is something I doubt will change, and I doubt Chrome will get any more optimized.

Reactions: RedBoss

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Only thing I have found to still dislike, really, is the install. It puts itself where it wants to go and doesn't give a crap that it isn't to go there. Seems to be a common theme with application programmers nowadays though. They want their folders all over. Instead of the one place I want them to be. At least I can change the minecraft portion to go somewhere else. Wouldn't use it at all if that wasn't possible.

My only other issue is how ugly the starting page is. I am pretty sure that will be fixed. Though not certain as parts of their site slow my browser to a crawl or crash it outright (looking at you minecraft forums, and terraria wiki).

W

Westman

While I find the curse launcher to be extra bloat I don't want, I can learn to live with it. However I do have one issue. Where are the compatible texture pack downloads like the old launcher had? That was a great feature and I probably would never have used Faithful if I had not seen it there.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
While I find the curse launcher to be extra bloat I don't want, I can learn to live with it. However I do have one issue. Where are the compatible texture pack downloads like the old launcher had? That was a great feature and I probably would never have used Faithful if I had not seen it there.

That is there. After you install a pack and click on it to open the profile you will 4 links/tabs under the title block. "Overview", "Installed Mods", "Resource Packs" and "Maps". You want the "Resource Packs" to download texture packs.

W

Westman

That is there. After you install a pack and click on it to open the profile you will 4 links/tabs under the title block. "Overview", "Installed Mods", "Resource Packs" and "Maps". You want the "Resource Packs" to download texture packs.
I realize that now, but I'm talking about -compatible- packs with all the mods. I don't care about the huge list of textures if they don't work with FTB packs.

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I'll give it a shot. _A_ shot. Seven days of playing to impress that Curse is no longer complete, utter, steaming, fail. The first time I used curse for mods, when I used to play WoW, it was a mostly functional mass downloader for manual installing, but Arceus help you if you actually let it install anything as absolutely nothing would even pretend to work. As for Fallout 3 and Skyrim, the fail was even harder in my experience, the downloads only sometimes worked, mod versioning was non-existent, mod auto-update worked but couldn't be turned off which causes all the problems you would expect, it wouldn't honor its own mod loading priority, and the list goes on...

Ah well, I'll give it a fair trial. And enough proverbial rope to hang itself....no, I'm not optimistic in the slightest about this. Which is a damned shame, 'cause the FTB crew makes good stuff.

W

Westman

Personally, I'll give it a shot. _A_ shot. Seven days of playing to impress that Curse is no longer complete, utter, steaming, fail. The first time I used curse for mods, when I used to play WoW, it was a mostly functional mass downloader for manual installing, but Arceus help you if you actually let it install anything as absolutely nothing would even pretend to work. As for Fallout 3 and Skyrim, the fail was even harder in my experience, the downloads only sometimes worked, mod versioning was non-existent, mod auto-update worked but couldn't be turned off which causes all the problems you would expect, it wouldn't honor its own mod loading priority, and the list goes on...

Ah well, I'll give it a fair trial. And enough proverbial rope to hang itself....no, I'm not optimistic in the slightest about this. Which is a damned shame, 'cause the FTB crew makes good stuff.
Yeah I kinda agree, I wish the FTB Team wouldn't have sold their soul to curse on this one. I hated curse back in the WoW days and the program now looks like a big pile of bloatware.