FTB - It´s to easy, how to make it hard?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
2) Home Owner's Association Member. Your home must be 'up to code'. This includes using proper building material (such as stone brick blocks instead of cobblestone), All piping and wiring must be 'up to code' and not visible. Must have a neatly trimmed and manicured lawn (i.e. no creeper or 'civilization' holes) which is not cluttered with excessive things (such as torches, basically if you can hide it aesthetically, you can have it). Must have a proper roof with overhang and gutters. Must be decorated tastefully. Must have clearly designated rooms for your industrial machines, power generation, storage and autocrafting, living, dining, restroom facilities, and 'greenhouse' rooms which are separate. Must not have a mining operation entrance in your actual household, it has to be in a seperate facility, which must be in an enclosed building and otherwise comply with all building code and regulations. Other restrictions may apply depending on how restrictive you feel you want your HOA to be.
Unlike the OP, I don't really enjoy challenging myself with Minecraft, but this actually sounds entertaining.

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
Test the mods you haven't tested. If you're looking for "hard", you're playing the wrong game. Minecraft isn't set up to provide meaningful challenge. It's more about creativity and imagination. The challenge in modded Minecraft comes from the learning curve. Just because you've got the best gear and chests overflowing with goodies doesn't mean you've beaten anything or overcome any real challenge. It means you've managed a reasonable level of competency in the resource game.

Minecraft was first becoming a real survival game, with some decent difficulty on its own. But they made it a *whateveritisrightnow*

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
On my Omega Dawn server I setup a wasteland scenario, twilight forest is only accessable via a stargate (with the players have to build, and also find the hidden address elements I scattered around the world), and has Zombie Awareness, Primitive Mobs and hard difficulty. It slowed down the game for the first two weeks, it was pure survival and teamwork. Then on the same day we found a MFR rubber tree and a naturally spawning stargate, and survival turned into the technological era.
As a result, it has got easy. The main culprit is Modular Power Suits. Flight is a massive benefit.
Plus, default MC hunger system is too weak. Apart from the first few days of trying to find food, we haven't had to worry too much about eating to stay alive.

Reactions: glepet1962

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I think there are 2 things you can try. one is to install mods that makes things more difficult, like hunger overhaul or infernal mobs. it doesn't make the tech side of the pack more difficult, but rather the vanilla side of the pack. the second is to change some configuration options. for example have less ores spawn, increase the power need of machines, decrease the output of machines and mods like Tinker's Construct are adding options to disable or change certain aspects of the game, making the process of getting things harder (like disabling most of the vanilla tools and you instead need to setup a smeltery and get the tools through that)

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Start again removing - EE3, DartCraft, Quarrys, MPS, IC2 and any of the optional ones if you enabled them. It will still be easy(ish) to anyone that knows what they are doing but at least it will not be mega-easy.

Reactions: zorn

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well, apart from falling from a great height, minecraft is hard then, very hard - splat.

Reactions: russjr08

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
We are a group that play FTB .
But we think it is to easy.

Even with Gregtech we advance to fast and it becomes quite dull and boring when you have your quarrys and quantum suits etc.

Is there some way to make things hard, real hard?

I mean, we have the most fun in the beginning. When you struggle for your resources and you spend time to survive and not just spend time to build parts and your chests are flowing with materials.

We like it hard. We like all the mods and the variety it provides. So many mods I have not tested yet.

In greg's config you can disable the quarry. Also remove AE. Of course get rid of dartcraft. With no AE and no Quarry it should be much harder.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
How does compact storage and auto-crafting (AE) make the game "easy"? Conventient and compact doesn't mean it detracts from the overall challenge. Unless you claim that standing at your crafting table for an hour is "hard".

Wouldn't it make more sense to remove MFR and Bees? MFR is cheap power, and Bees... well they shortcut pretty much everything once you get them developed.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Compact storage means you dont have to plan your base as well. IE easier. Automation can be done without AE and its much harder to do so. Autocrafting is very powerful especially when gregtech comes to mind. As for removing MFR there is an option for gregtech recipes which are much harder... But I could see removing MFR. As for Bees of course dont put in extra bees or anything like that. However basic forestry bees are not nearlly as OP as extra bees makes it. Without extra bees all you can make that is worth anything is bigger backpacks. It should go without saying that EE3 is removed but its not in unhinged so I figured that was obvious.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
How does compact storage and auto-crafting (AE) make the game "easy"? Conventient and compact doesn't mean it detracts from the overall challenge. Unless you claim that standing at your crafting table for an hour is "hard".

It would force you to come up with an actual sorting system, instead of just making more 16k/64k drives.

And AE does way more than storage and crafting. It also does instant item transport and it's an easy way to supply the machines with materials and pull the products back out. Just looking at ore processing: In the past it was a system system of macerators and furnaces linked to each other, with relays to handle buffering, filters to get the materials to the machines etc. Now the ore processing "setup" is a single macerator (or grinder) and a furnace, both with an Import and Export bus.
(And nope, I don't think MC is too easy, neither would I want to play again without AE. :))

Reactions: Pokefenn

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
It would force you to come up with an actual sorting system, instead of just making more 16k/64k drives.

And AE does way more than storage and crafting. It also does instant item transport and it's an easy way to supply the machines with materials and pull the products back out. Just looking at ore processing: In the past it was a system system of macerators and furnaces linked to each other, with relays to handle buffering, filters to get the materials to the machines etc. Now the ore processing "setup" is a single macerator (or grinder) and a furnace, both with an Import and Export bus.
(And nope, I don't think MC is too easy, neither would I want to play again without AE. :))

yeah. i find these kinds of setup the be very much unsatisfactory. you are not supposed to be able to have a single machine block process a quarry's worth of stuff like that. I simply refuse to touch AE for that kind of stuff anymore. Now using MFR conveyor belts, and other assorted machines is cool. it's not space efficient by a longshot, but man is it fun to play with.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
yeah. i find these kinds of setup the be very much unsatisfactory. you are not supposed to be able to have a single machine block process a quarry's worth of stuff like that. I simply refuse to touch AE for that kind of stuff anymore. Now using MFR conveyor belts, and other assorted machines is cool. it's not space efficient by a longshot, but man is it fun to play with.

Bevo did a lot of crazy stuff like this in his Let's Plays. All of his item transportation was with conveyor belts and MFR item routers. The energy generation without wires or conduits, just using Railcraft carts instead. :)

Reactions: Sub and Bevo

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I'm using Logistics Pipes for the most part now. Admittedly, it's almost as bad as AE but it's so much more fun to play with that I don't really care, lol. And at least it doesn't have the whole "magic block" thing that AE has. With AE, you can store all of your items in a single block, and a relatively small multiblock structure does all of your autocrafting. Whereas in LP, you need a room full of chests and barrels/DSUs and another room full of autocrafting tables to achieve the same effect.

Building a sorting and processing system was actually one of my favorite parts of setting up a base before AE came along and made the sorting part of it completely irrelevant, so I'm having a lot of fun playing around with Logistics Pipes again.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
And AE does way more than storage and crafting. It also does instant item transport and it's an easy way to supply the machines with materials and pull the products back out. Just looking at ore processing: ...
My quarry processing doesn't involve AE except that the final results go into an Interface. Quarry/Ore processing is more efficient this way than using a pure AE system. It's also ridiculously easy to set up with pipes and TE machines.
As far as sorting for storage... yeah I can craft a bunch of diamond pipes or routers and build a crazy contraption again, but I don't see that as hard, just 2012. ;)