FTB and Forge - Curse Partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke didn't code shit, he got others to do it. And now he's ditching them to make a quick buck.

No, slow didn't code anything. That is the only truth to your statement.

If slow was ditching us just to make a quick buck, none of us would be here. FTB staff has known about this from (almost) the beginning. Slow talked to each of us because it affects us all. If any of us thought the worse of this, NONE of us would still be here. We would have walked quicker than what.
I am for anything that will allow me to bring a better product to the community, and have been working towards this end with jaded and myself starting a testing team. This is just another step to attempt to make things better for all.
So what if it fails? Oh no, too bad, so sad. At least we gave it a shot and will still have they ability to move down a different path if it fails. It takes SOMEONE to try it to see.
Technic did it with its first modpacks, got backlash, revived and improved and is now outstanding. They did it to offer a service to the community. FTB is doing the same with this venture, and if it blows up, we walk away and rebuild.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
oh hey you must be new to the 'team' then. let me show you the store where FTB merchandise is sold. You must have missed the massive amounts of 'buzz' they attempted to generate over it a few months back...

could i interest you in a primer on the basics of web economics and monetization?
Right, like there is no expenses in providing servers to host files and forums and stuff like that? Services that have so far and will continue to be provided to you for free? Services that have previously been partly covered by donations. Are you seriously so petty to say that the FTB team not only have to spend tons of time on providing YOU! with launchers and modpacks, but they also have to pay for file and webhosting out of their OWN pockets? We should be paying them good money for having provided us with such good services over the years!

With the increasing complexity of the launchers and modpacks we have recently experienced that it have become an increasingly big job to handle it all on a sparetime basis. We could choose to stay where we are and not get any improved features and live with extended deadlines. But the only way forward that I see(and obviously the FTB team) is to get some professional full time partners included to handle the distribution of mods and modpacks. This way the modders and modpack creators can focus on what they do best. And so what if Curse makes a tiny buck on a few adds for providing this service. I prefer that over forever status quo....

Last edited:

Mooseman9

Jul 29, 2019
Are you seriously so petty to say that the FTB team not only have to spend tons of time on providing YOU! with launchers and modpacks, but they also have to pay for file and webhosting out of their OWN pockets?
Technic does it, why can't FTB?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Technic does it, why can't FTB?
Seriously lol?
Tried going to their website?
http://www.technicpack.net/
Its filled with adds. Most of them worse than what people explain seeing in Curse lol. Quite obvious attempts on hijacking with adds looking like parts of the main page..

FTB is providing us with a (almost) completely add free experience where those who wish to (no one is forced to do anything) can choose to support them by buying something in the new shop. Does that sound so unfair?

Last edited:

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Obvious registered-today-just-to-be-a-pile-of-flamebait has been removed. Back on track.

Also, Mooseman9, if you want to fan the Technic v. FTB flames and beat that dead horse, go do that on reddit or something. We got the point on whose favor you wear to the joust a long, long time ago and it's just obnoxious and distracting from the actual discussion here now (we've made it plenty clear that people that aren't into this decision are welcome to explore other avenues for mod distribution).

Mooseman9

Jul 29, 2019
OWe got the point on whose favor you wear to the joust a long, long time ago and it's just obnoxious and distracting from the actual discussion here now (we've made it plenty clear that people that aren't into this decision are welcome to explore other avenues for mod distribution).
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought forums were for discussion.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Takeaway: the point has been clearly made that one of the priorities in developing a client to handle this is in making it secure to try and block out attack vectors on the (a) malware mods (b) ads injecting bad juju fronts. It's not even about kids really, it's also about making a launcher my mom can use (I love her dearly but I wouldn't trust her within a mile of 80% of the "Click Here" ads on ad.fly, and she's way too old to be called a kid).

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I have to say that this news disappoints me somewhat; that is, by and large, a personal issue though, stemming from Curse's bad habit of taking over almost every fan site I've ever been a part of and using them to force their products on the userbase there.

I approve of your stated reasons for doing this, I can only wish it weren't with Curse. I played WoW for six years and I resisted their attempts to push the Curse client on me the entire time. I love this pack and this community very much, and I hope that I can continue to be a part of it, but if the Curse client is the only option, I may need to move on to one of the packs that remains independent.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Good idea, I'll implement this on the new forums. Basically when you signup you provide your paypal or google wallet details then users can report posts for bad grammar; if validated by a moderator $2 is taken from your paypal account as a payment to humanity. Thoughts?
Thoughts? I'll be rich in a matter of hours!

Wait, it doesn't go to the person reporting it? Can it go to the person reporting it? Please? I've even caught one of Slow's in this thread, although I'll keep it to myself ;)

Reactions: Padfoote

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Woke, came in found the last 2 pages covered in off-topic rambles many of which were border-line against the rules.

Cleaned it up .

STAY ON TOPIC: Topic is "How do you feel about Curse and FTB merging? What are your concerns?"

If you are not a moderator do not try to moderate the thread. Report posts and move on. Don't feed the mythological creatures.

The kittens were cute... but no.

Bubbleo

Jul 29, 2019
I see no point in asking people for suggestions or there opinion jaded because as soon as a opinion or a suggestion is not favorable towards FTB the person is generally attacked, ridiculed or there entire post disregarded....so i can't see the point unless the kids settle down a bit and try to allow both sides of the table to give there opinions be it favorable or not, as long as there is reasoning for both. This can be done without the sarcasm or the smart ass comments such as " here have a kitty"

Anyhow back on topic Curse has already monetized Minecraft so they will definatly be digging there claws into FTB to squeeze every dollar they can out of it. Cant see why the need to bring curse into this everything that curse touches ends up Cursed lol!!!

Goodbye FTB as we once knew it.

Reactions: Mooseman9

starmon8472

Jul 29, 2019
ads on the Official Minecraft forums that i would say (nearly) every minecraft player has been to, sounds like making money off minecraft, seeing as its official

edit: oh and the official wiki = curse site

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Any words on what they plan on doing to/with CurseForge to make it the go-to platform for mod distribution?
How much of the modding community is being involved?
Are the Technic, MCP, and some independent people in on this as well as the Forgecraft/FTB crew?
Curse is supposedly leaving the mod CDN up for semi-public use, will this API be public, closed, locked behind a registration wall (or worse: paywall)?
Will the new curse launcher be able to download resource packs and maps? Will it have a config-only option for packs?
How will the packs work? Can we create private packs, semi-private packs, and public packs without having to have human staff vet every single pack manually for permissions?
Will we have the ability to share a pack as a config file with a list of mods to download, possibly auto-download?

Because those issues? Many of those will make or break the project. That's what I'm most worried about. Everyone trying their best and putting forth inordinate amounts of their free time and not inconsiderable effort, then not securing support from key modders... like... for example ChickenBones? Who in this hypothetical can pull ForgeMultiPart and CodeChickenLib permission from the curse client/curseforge (Hypothetical here, choosing an absurd scenario both to illustrate the point and not poke a flamewar by picking someone with a reputation for anything along any lines with permissions and stuff). That would severely hinder your ability to make modpacks, would it not?

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Are the Technic, MCP, and some independent people in on this as well as the Forgecraft/FTB crew?

Curse origionally went to Technic first is what I can gather.
But the deal never went any further as one condition Kakermix demanded was the full technic team (about 4 or5 people I think) or nothing.
Curse was not willing to pay for a team.

Reactions: Mooseman9

Vagrant0

Jul 29, 2019
I've never been too fond of the way that Curse places priority of monitization over usage and content, and the way that they have a tendency to just buy communities instead of build them through service. Then again, we've all seen the bang-up job they've done with Minecraft, Curse Forge, and other games, so there's nothing to worry about right? I hope this all works out for you.

I would put in a mention that Nexus Mods supports Minecraft to a limited extent now, ect, ect, and that the Nexus Mod Manager could feasibly support a project like FTB given that the client is open sourced. And would have mentioned this earlier if not for the repeated times that Slowpoke mentioned that he specifically didn't want anyone other than the FTB team managing mods related to FTB on account of not wanting to force mod authors to have to use a specific service for their upload hosting, or to let down mod authors by having their mods hosted somewhere outside their control. But nah... Nobody cares about any of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbleo and Dorque

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Well I have a bit of an issue with the whole thing, since I like propably a lot of other people have horrible experiences with clients made by curse. Most people who used their client for WoW know that it was terrible. And a bunch of people made something similar, which was more secure and with better functionality and got the downloads from curse page... and was shot down quite quickly by curse.

That's the reason why I can't really believe that they allow anybody (iE 3rd party launchers) to use their service. They might officially allow it, but place so many rocks in their path that it isn't worthwhile. And their launcher... they have to create something better than they ever did to even be as good as the current FTB-launcher. Everything they created until now was more or less a total mess, exspecially under security points.

In the end my expectations aren't that high, which also means it is a lot harder to be dissapointed. However the thing is, FTB never was about money. This Forum is incredible Ad-free and nice to read. The MCF is terrible in comparison and I don't bother reading it and if it is surely adblocked, because it is terrible annoying and one of the few places I use adblock.

But since slow already mentioned that they didn't sell anything to curse I actually expect them to do whatever they can to step back from this partnership. My biggest fear isn't that the new launcher and what curse has in mind sucks, my biggest fear is that if it does nobody cares and I have to use Tekkit or propably other launchers.

So if their new launcher is good and only has some hopefully preselected adds (which would make security much better... and honestly being at the client should pay far more than being at the side, because no adblock) I wouldn't bother. That it might download a bit slowly can be problematic, but on the other hand there are only a few large mods and my folder with mods for magic farm is 80mb and for monster it is 120mb... that's not that much even if the download-speed without premium isn't great.

So I'm not enthusiastic about it because honestly I doubt that a lot will change if they do it right. However I doubt that their general client (and I think they still want to keep it universal) can compete with any minecraft-specific client.

Gaz_

FTB App
Team Member
Web Developer
Global Moderator
Feb 4, 2013
Well I have a bit of an issue with the whole thing, since I like propably a lot of other people have horrible experiences with clients made by curse. Most people who used their client for WoW know that it was terrible. And a bunch of people made something similar, which was more secure and with better functionality and got the downloads from curse page... and was shot down quite quickly by curse.

That's the reason why I can't really believe that they allow anybody (iE 3rd party launchers) to use their service. They might officially allow it, but place so many rocks in their path that it isn't worthwhile. And their launcher... they have to create something better than they ever did to even be as good as the current FTB-launcher. Everything they created until now was more or less a total mess, exspecially under security points.

In the end my expectations aren't that high, which also means it is a lot harder to be dissapointed. However the thing is, FTB never was about money. This Forum is incredible Ad-free and nice to read. The MCF is terrible in comparison and I don't bother reading it and if it is surely adblocked, because it is terrible annoying and one of the few places I use adblock.

But since slow already mentioned that they didn't sell anything to curse I actually expect them to do whatever they can to step back from this partnership. My biggest fear isn't that the new launcher and what curse has in mind sucks, my biggest fear is that if it does nobody cares and I have to use Tekkit or propably other launchers.

So if their new launcher is good and only has some hopefully preselected adds (which would make security much better... and honestly being at the client should pay far more than being at the side, because no adblock) I wouldn't bother. That it might download a bit slowly can be problematic, but on the other hand there are only a few large mods and my folder with mods for magic farm is 80mb and for monster it is 120mb... that's not that much even if the download-speed without premium isn't great.

So I'm not enthusiastic about it because honestly I doubt that a lot will change if they do it right. However I doubt that their general client (and I think they still want to keep it universal) can compete with any minecraft-specific client.
Slow has said that its part of the agreement for other launchers to be able to use the downloads that curse will provide for the modpacks and that there will not be any download throttling for non premium members, in other words it will have the same features as the current ftb launcher and possibly more. There will most likely be ads on the launcher, and im sure that slow and lex will have input on the type of ads that will be displayed. If you want more detail just read some of the previous posts on this thread.

Reactions: Nerixel
Status
Not open for further replies.