Feed the Beast Ultimate lags is there any mods I can drop to make it lag less?

zbryanz

Jul 29, 2019
I played feed the beast with my friend on his server and it also lags for him. We could always switch to another modpack but we don't want to risk losing our world or anything so we would rather not. If there were say three or four mods that we could take out of Feed the Beast Ultimate pack, which ones would it be that would make the game lag less? Thanks

lavarthan

Jul 29, 2019
You and your friend check here for the possibility of increasing his FPS.
http://desk.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/30/2/why-is-my-game-lagging

You and your friend follow these steps to possibly fix any user install errors.
http://desk.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/9/0/basic-troubleshooting

Also if you could provide as many logs as you can. Copy them to pastebin and link them here.
http://desk.feed-the-beast.com/inde...29/1/what-log-do-you-need-where-can-i-find-it

zbryanz

Jul 29, 2019
If I were to take out a mod like extra biomes, what would happen to all those extra biomes in our world?

lavarthan

Jul 29, 2019
All the blocks added by Extra Biomes will disappear if you disable it. This includes all the colorful trees and Red Cobblestone which will leave huge gaps in your explored chunks.

Warning: I have not tested this yet so backup your save first. Inside the config is an option to disable generation of most, if not all, the biomes. This will disable the generation of new Extra Biomes' biomes in chunks that you have not explored yet, and leave your existing chunks alone. You might have some drop offs or half mountains and such at chunk boundaries just outside where you explored. Beyond that your chunks will appear as vanilla biomes only and your existing ones will remain the same. The other good news is your existing piles of wood and other additions from the mod, such as Red Cobblestone will still be there. The only other alternative that I know of is to start a fresh new map. I'm not sure how much of a boost you will get from this, but it should be comparable to disabling the mod. Since the major hit is probably the creation of the biomes.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Big trees from EBXL and TF are occasionally the culprits when it comes to FPS drops. Xycraft can also cause quite a lot of unwanted rendering to happen. However - and I hate myself for saying this because I love the mod so much - Red Power is probably the one mod that will give you the biggest performance boost if you drop it. Both FPS and server load.

However, before taking drastic steps like removing a mod, I would urge you to look through your builds for things you could optimize. Maybe use tesseracts instead of long stretches of pipe/tube, don't have timers ticking every 0.2 sec, etc.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Couple of things I do that seem to make things better (no idea if they actually do); use less xycraft bricks for building (I used to do all my floors with these) as they're animated, in client config turn off AE cable animation (if you're using ME network/cables), gregtech config turn off machine animation (looking at a gregtech machine with animation on always drops my fps), use less rp2 timers and relays (I still use some but nowhere near the amount I used to).

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
If you're having network lag when there's lots of players on, remove Modular PowerSuits.

zbryanz

Jul 29, 2019
Ok thanks I think I will just remove xycraft since I don't really want to screw with the biomes since we are currently living in a new one and it is a little to late to start a new map. But how is Xycraft going to raise my fps at all? It doesn't seem like Xycraft adds that much to the game, and I don't use the xycraft stuff so will it still chage my fps much if I don't use it at all in the first place?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Ok thanks I think I will just remove xycraft since I don't really want to screw with the biomes since we are currently living in a new one and it is a little to late to start a new map. But how is Xycraft going to raise my fps at all? It doesn't seem like Xycraft adds that much to the game, and I don't use the xycraft stuff so will it still chage my fps much if I don't use it at all in the first place?
The crystals render themselves and the surrounding block faces while in the ground (I think because they're not full blocks?). If you look through a chunk error or use the glowstone x-ray trick you'll see tons of them scattered around underground. It actually looks kinda cool imo, but that's a lot of unnecessary rendering going on.

Zerren

Jul 29, 2019
• Remove all of the garbage Voxel aesthetic mods (menu, loader, map)
• Use optifine and (if you want fancy textures for everything else) set tree leaves to Fast (especially in EXBL biomes)
• Use less RP circuits (they're horribly laggy, especially timers)
• Use jacketed red alloy wire over uncovered red alloy wire
• If it's possible, use vanilla redstone (no need to go up walls etc)
• Use TE Liquiducts over BC pipes
• Don't use Mekanism ANYTHING (the lag is abysmal)
• Prefer TE igneous over BB/Timer combo cobblegens
• No XyCraft blocks.. or the mod.
• No Crystal Chests
--------------------
The two most computer and server friendly (big) mods are Thermal Expansion and, believe it or not, Gregtech.
Redpower is the destroyer of framerates.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
The two most computer and server friendly (big) mods are Thermal Expansion and, believe it or not, Gregtech.
Why the "believe it or not" for GregTech? I completely and totally believe that GT is not as laggy as some other mods. GregoriousT is actually pretty good at eliminating lag sources, at least from what I've seen of his factory tips thread on the IC2 forums.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting, how do you check that?
i personally, have no idea cuz i dont keep a server. but since the staff seems to be a competent in what they are doing( and servers is like 98% of the time is lag free), i tend do believe that this is true.

Jijeras97

Jul 29, 2019
Did you set your video settings to lowest settings possible except FPS?
I have fancy graphics and smooth lightning on and I don't have lag, but turn off those settings.
For server lag, more RAM.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, what?
It sends an update about every player to every other player every tick. Each update is 87 bytes long.
With 30 players, that's 52.2 kB/s sent to each player, or 1.57 MB/s sent in total, and that will likely be 80%+ of your server's total used bandwidth.

With 50 players, 87 kB/s and 4.35 MB/s respectively.

• Use jacketed red alloy wire over uncovered red alloy wire
I think jacketed red alloy wire still causes chunk updates - you can see it turn on and off if you look at the end of the cable. It's possible that Eloraam doesn't cause chunk updates for wire pieces that you can't see the end of, but seems unlikely. I haven't tested this.

• Use TE Liquiducts over BC pipes
Only for liquid pipes - use BC pipes over RP2 tubes. Again, haven't tested it - just a gut feeling.
RP2 machines run on redstone signals and cause chunk updates though, so you definitely want to avoid them anyway.