Feed the Beast Ultimate lags is there any mods I can drop to make it lag less?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Probably something to do with the custom rendering and colour changing capabilities.

*Edit* So what are chunk updates for? Are they necessary for any rendering change? I know about block updates but I've only come across the phrase "chunk updates" recently.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
1. Remove all VoxelShit
2. Launch the game
3. Don't use anything shiny from Xycraft
4. ????
5. Profit

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Only for liquid pipes - use BC pipes over RP2 tubes. Again, haven't tested it - just a gut feeling.
RP2 machines run on redstone signals and cause chunk updates though, so you definitely want to avoid them anyway.

RP2 tubes are better, because they don't render anything inside them :D

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019

`
Yesh :D Bc pipes render the items travelling, but pneumatic tubes don't, it saves a lot :) Pneumatic tubes and wiring are the reasons i still use RP2, of course ive upgraded to ME now, but there's no other mod that gives the red alloy wire functionality so.. That..

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
`
Yesh :D Bc pipes render the items travelling, but pneumatic tubes don't, it saves a lot :) Pneumatic tubes and wiring are the reasons i still use RP2, of course ive upgraded to ME now, but there's no other mod that gives the red alloy wire functionality so.. That..
so when i see items inside pneumatic tube, they are not rendered? my logic fails at this point

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
As I understand it (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :p .. ) RP tubes are laggier than BC pipes because of the internal logic that RP tubes have.

As something like a transposer won't send an item down a tube without a valid destination, it's logical that it has to check for a valid destination every time it wants to send an item. Hence, if you have a transposer connected to a line of tubes leading to 100 barrels and your cobblestone is in barrel #99, then everytime your transposer gets a piece of cobble to send, it'll do this:

Check barrel #1 - can I send cobble here? Nope.
Check barrel #2 - can I send cobble here? Nope.
Check barrel #3 - can I send cobble here? Nope.
Check barrel #98 - can I send cobble here? Nope.
Check barrel #99 - can I send cobble here? Yup!
Send Cobble

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
As I understand it (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :p .. ) RP tubes are laggier than BC pipes because of the internal logic that RP tubes have.

As something like a transposer won't send an item down a tube without a valid destination, it's logical that it has to check for a valid destination every time it wants to send an item. Hence, if you have a transposer connected to a line of tubes leading to 100 barrels and your cobblestone is in barrel #99, then everytime your transposer gets a piece of cobble to send, it'll do this:

Check barrel #1 - can I send cobble here? Nope.
Check barrel #2 - can I send cobble here? Nope.
Check barrel #3 - can I send cobble here? Nope.
Check barrel #98 - can I send cobble here? Nope.
Check barrel #99 - can I send cobble here? Yup!
Send Cobble
it would be a miracle if it worked that way.. from what i`ve it works like that:
transposer gets cobble/pulls it from chest, and sends into to tube.
then items travel to first storage, if they cannot go in there, they will go to closest second etc, up to a 100 and if hundred is available for them, then they will go there.

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
it would be a miracle if it worked that way.. from what i`ve it works like that:
transposer gets cobble/pulls it from chest, and sends into to tube.
then items travel to first storage, if they cannot go in there, they will go to closest second etc, up to a 100 and if hundred is available for them, then they will go there.

Hmm, but if there's no valid storage (i.e. in this example, none of the 100 barrels can hold cobble) then it won't send it into the tube to start with.

Based on this, I have to conclude that the transposer checks for a valid inventory before sending the item rather than in the way you describe.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, but if there's no valid storage (i.e. in this example, none of the 100 barrels can hold cobble) then it won't send it into the tube to start with.

Based on this, I have to conclude that the transposer checks for a valid inventory before sending the item rather than in the way you describe.
you are correct, but such logic kicks in when transposer jams. i.e. when transposer sent an item into network, and there was no space for it, so it went back to a transposer and was stored in its buffer.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
1. Transposer acquires item from tube/inventory/world
2. Transposer looks for a valid destination
3a. If no valid destinaton, Transposer jams without sending the item
3b. If valid destination, item starts moving down tube
4. Item keeps checking for nearest valid destination as it travels through the tubes, if destination becomes invalid then it returns to Transposer and jams until a valid destination is found

I've heard that Step 4 happens every tick. That doesn't match with my experience, in my Fermenters the saplings and compost only change direction when they hit an intersection if a sapling gets used up in a Fermenter. Also, when my inline Sorting Machine gets jammed, stuff that's going towards it continues onwards into it and then bounces back out of it towards the overflow chest.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
1. Transposer acquires item from tube/inventory/world
2. Transposer looks for a valid destination
3a. If no valid destinaton, Transposer jams without sending the item
3b. If valid destination, item starts moving down tube
4. Item keeps checking for nearest valid destination as it travels through the tubes, if destination becomes invalid then it returns to Transposer and jams until a valid destination is found
just tested it, and must admit, you are correct on this one

I've heard that Step 4 happens every tick. That doesn't match with my experience, in my Fermenters the saplings and compost only change direction when they hit an intersection if a sapling gets used up in a Fermenter. Also, when my inline Sorting Machine gets jammed, stuff that's going towards it continues onwards into it and then bounces back out of it towards the overflow chest.
from what i can remember items that didnt find their place, will go to the end of the system, then bounce back, and while they are going to transposer, they are checking for a valid destination before transposer.

why not move the overflow chest for your sorting machine, to the machine and set machine to pull items instead?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
i feel like i`ve missed somehing
Right, I see, yes I mis-read your post. I could put a chest on the Sorting Machine to act as a huge buffer, I suppose. I don't see a great need for that though, I'm happy with the overflow mechanism, and adding am intermediate chest would not end the need for overflow handling, it would just take longer to overflow. I'm more likely to solve it by lava-voiding the overflow from my recyclers, which is the only cause of overflow at the moment. They could keep up with a full speed quarry, but they can't keep up with a DW20 frame-mining-well machine.