Feed The Beast - Redpower and 1.5.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrtubzy

Jul 29, 2019
Ultimate gets the private pack, DW20 and Mindcrack are going to decide what they do with their modpacks, what I wanna know is.. What are you planning on doing with your modpack Slow?

Btw, I have it on a server and everyone loves it. It has good balance and all of the mods work well with divinerpg. Actually I have an ultimate server as well and, most of the people that were playing there made the switch to your stream modpack.

I'm just wondering if I need to get ready to update my server with your modpack on it or not.

I prefer having everything updated as much as possible on my servers so, that the people playing on them get all of the newest toys, gadgets, or other wonderful things you guys throw at us.

smenes

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, my feelings regarding RP have changed over the last couple of months. It is one of a handful of mods I have actually donated a fair amount of cash towards, and at the time I could not consider playing a modded MC without it.

However, I have now run out of interest in RP. The only real useful stuff it now brings to the table is the wires and circuits (although greg has a block that handles the circuits).

Imo, the way I feel about her mod, the sooner it is removed from the packs the better. Hopefully this beta 1.5 pack will start that process. It is a closed mod, no other mod can integrate with it (other than approved ones such as wireless rs etc), source code is closed, she is slower than hell to get timely updates out, leaves game breaking dupe bugs in, makes endless promises she breaks, stares at a gift horse in the mouth and doesn't see it and will probably vanish again at the drop of a hat leaving countless 1000's of players pining for an update.

I find it interesting her twitter feed has started again yesterday, prior to that her last tweet was the 19th Feb stating a bug fix was coming for 1.4.7. Read into that what you will I guess. The way I see it, is that she develops RP for one single purpose, so that she can play it, which is fair enough I guess. If she has Minecraft burn out and does not want to play, RP gets dropped like a bad smell.

I am disappointed for her in that she could not obtain/or did not want to obtain the ongoing development assistance from another member of the modding community. Is there not someone she could approach and say 'hey, anyone want to help take some of the work load? Otherwise it'll be a blue moon when I get a new version out.'. If she doesn't want that to happen, then honestly, we could do without waiting around for her mod, and I guess Slow has decided the same thing.
that what I think
in fact, I have made an announcement 2 week ago on my forum about removing RP2 for my server

James IV

Jul 29, 2019
Well I hope you include RP2.

To be honest I have been tittering between FTB and Tekkit, and one of the few main reasons I have stayed on FTB is because I have a friend's server I play on, and some of the mods are up to date (unlike Tekkit Classic).

However, if RedPower 2 is to not be making a come back, I can assume you I will be bailing on FTB. RP2 is one of the few mods that is a must for me for a mod pack to interest me. Just thought I would give my opinion. (I realize it's not a fact it won't)

Reactions: Sh3it4n

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Good. I've been saying RP2 needed to be dropped for quite some time, and I'm glad to see it finally happening.

The cynic in me is quirking an eyebrow at the fact that this information is coming out just before the Reddit AMA today, but gift horse, mouth, etc.

I would HIGHLY encourage the FTB team to stay away from RP2 in the future even if Eloraam releases an update. Putting RP2 back in would essentially be saying "We think that the last 12+ months of consistent behaviour from her is 'just a fluke' and we expect that somehow her entire life situation, schedule, and desire to keep people in the loop are all going to miraculously change overnight," which is just an unfair and unrealistic expectation.

That's not irony, that's a threat of being dropped being the only thing to convince her to take 60 seconds to write two tweets. If it takes that much just to get a couple of tweets, I wouldn't hold my breath on timely, bug-free RP2 updates.

http://goo.gl/o6xXH

I'm hopeing for your sake your a young kid who still lives at home and has everything given to them.
And so, through no fault of your own you have views that have zero resemblence to real life.
If this is not the case then you have some real issues and are most likly beyond redemption.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I am glad Eloraam is back. Sometimes real life can hit hard. And that sounds exactly like what happened to her. I have a pretty good idea what it takes to write software. So I will NOT be negative about anything she does. I'll just be happy to have RP2 as long as I can have it on my server. Besides there are still quite a few other mods that needs updating to 1.5 as well. Just be patient. Last time I checked it was a virtue.

Reactions: Thuulstrea

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
One big point nobody I've seen point out...

Why bitch and moan about RP2 when a number of other mods haven't even finished updating to 1.5? Don't whine about it when it isn't the only holdup.

Yes, RP2 suffered perhaps more damage than any other mod from 1.3 and the depth and breadth of RP2 demanded MAJOR work to repair. The mod is massive all on it's own. Equal if not larger than any of the other big 3: IC2, BC, or Forestry. Now stated by Elo as well, 1.5 wasn't too bad and textures are tedious but not difficult to update I think.

Just as AE was added in right in the middle, RP2 can be too. One little thing easy to forget, RP2 doesn't have sub-mods that have to wait for it before they too can update. (minus WR-CBE that is)

ejmiv89

Jul 29, 2019
Fanstastic news, I'm hoping to be able to get me and my buddies together to play some 1.5.x FTB, and find all those new bugs.

James IV

Jul 29, 2019
LOL I feel I am one of the few who really appreciates RedPower2.

Support Frames ... well I have done countless things with these, and I have way more plans for them (secret doors in walls ... you bet), they are like pistons but better. Also I can't live without the cables. I recently built a fully automated underground nuclear reactor (well more finished), and would have never been able to do it without RedPower2 (and how it works with Computer Craft).

But then again I just recently started playing FTB and before had played Tekkit which is supper behind anyway, so maybe I am use to it

(BTW anyone interested in the reactor ->
)

Mrtubzy

Jul 29, 2019
One big point nobody I've seen point out...

Why bitch and moan about RP2 when a number of other mods haven't even finished updating to 1.5? Don't whine about it when it isn't the only holdup.

Yes, RP2 suffered perhaps more damage than any other mod from 1.3 and the depth and breadth of RP2 demanded MAJOR work to repair. The mod is massive all on it's own. Equal if not larger than any of the other big 3: IC2, BC, or Forestry. Now stated by Elo as well, 1.5 wasn't too bad and textures are tedious but not difficult to update I think.

Just as AE was added in right in the middle, RP2 can be too. One little thing easy to forget, RP2 doesn't have sub-mods that have to wait for it before they too can update. (minus WR-CBE that is)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...eXBjUHVYYUVXLVE&single=true&gid=0&output=html

That's the number.

There's not as many as one would think. I think the issue is that no one had heard anything from her and, from the sounds of it, this happens often. That's not very good for business.

Henix_Aurorus

Jul 29, 2019
I believe this is part of where Logical Engineering comes in.

In case you don't know what that is, iirc Briman is developing it as a more consistently updated alternative to RedPower to provide it's basic functionality. Don't quote me on that, though.

DireSwift

Jul 29, 2019
Well damn, that's a crying shame. I guess I will run 2 instances of MC until such a time as Eloraam returns and surprises us with a nice update.
Eloraam is back, she has been on Twitter again recently and working on it. She mentioned it won't be that big of a deal to update either.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
didn't you say that there are already a lot of topics about rp and to learn to use the search bar?
please go ahead and find me a thread on the topic of Eloraam's return to twitter that was posted before mine and I will gladly take mine down

Moleculor

Jul 29, 2019
She also posted in February that she was back on RP2 "full time".

Two months later, she's only *just now* compiling RP2 for 1.5 to see what's broken and what's not.

So that means we can't actually trust her tweets. She can easily say "I'm working on it! I'm not retiring!" and not ever update it again.

Captain Digital

Jul 29, 2019
It really irks me when people keep harping on RedPower 2 because of its lack of updates. I know somebody here already said this, but I'm going to say it again. RedPower 2 is not the only mod keeping FTB from updating. At the time of me writing this, mods that have yet to update to 1.5.1 include, but is not limited to, Railcraft, Soul Shards, and Xycraft.

Have people also forgotten that mod developers have lives outside of modding? Sure, most of them leave updates on, at the least, their blog or twitter and Eloraam just vanishes without a trace, but that doesn't mean she doesn't care about the mod or the players. People's lives can change instantly and I believe Eloraam is trying her best to deal with everything in real life and with RedPower 2.

And I know that there are a lot more RedPower 2 supporters outside of those that have shown themselves here. I know the people on my server love RedPower and use it in a bunch of creations. My personal opinion is this: I would take waiting for RedPower 2 over ditching it any day.

Nathan2055

Jul 29, 2019
I hope we get a new Redstone mod soon. There was a open source mod called Red Logic that I was contributing to, but it seems to have bit the dust. Well, here's to the future!

UnionCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Whatever happened we will personally be staying with RP2, our players love it and so do I, thankfully, even if it is dropped it wont make a difference to our server as we can easily add it to our required client pack.
We are also in no rush to update, currently the server is running very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.