ExtraBiomesXL vs. Biomes O Plenty vs. ? (for 1.6x+)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OMGFAVBIOMES?

• Total voters

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
I guess this thread is more EBXL4 vs BoP(with Integration) vs Highlands+Forgotten Nature.

Although Forgotten Nature seems to work with BoP somewhat after i got rid of all the ID conflicts. Too many god damn biome mods and they are all good in different ways. How can I make a world like this?

I wonder if God had these problems? ... First world problems indeed.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Well tbh this is kind of a moot point. BoP NEEDS this mod to be compatible (not for all mods i know), EBXL is compatible out of the box.

No. That's not how it works. Other mods bind to it via the API mechanism EBXL has. The difference here is that someone went and did it for the mod authors rather than waiting for them to find time to do it for BoP. So they could focus on their mods and not EBXL support.

It'd be nice if BoP had a formal API like EBXL, but I suspect the reason EBXL has support has a lot to do with its age. The reality is you say, "Oh, java decompiler, show me the Biome Manager I must reflect for."

KoreRekon

Jul 29, 2019
TerrainControl seems really powerful. I like that it has options for caves. The Cavern pic in the showcase looks awesome. Since EBXL4 will use TerrainControl's core, it's the one I'm most looking forward to.

Reactions: Lathanael

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
TerrainControl seems really powerful. I like that it has options for caves. The Cavern pic in the showcase looks awesome. Since EBXL4 will use TerrainControl's core, it's the one I'm most looking forward to.

Looks awesome, but without the amazing biomes to populate the shapes they will look barren still. I hope they are working on improving the details as well. If EBXL4 improves their biomes to at least BoP+ForgottenNature level and adds this in as well, then EBXL4 will be what I use.

The underground stuff is awesome.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
I have discovered that I suck at TerrainControl.

Is there a faster way to see changes that quitting and restarting minecraft each time?
Well all I have to do is quit the map delete region and restart the map. Not as bad.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, Biomes O Plenty released a new version that has full forestry integration. No external mods required. Are Magical support will be added next, and Thaumcraft support is just waiting for a real release. MineFactory reloaded support is done as well.

So. It is now very compatible.

Reactions: Bigglesworth

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, I think my biggest problem with both BOP and EBXL is that you can't edit biome rarity. I can turn a biome off, but I can't turn it down, or up even. I'd be perfectly happy if I could, for instance, get a world that was 75% vanilla biomes and then 25% from some other biome mod. Or, if I could turn down snow biomes to be a 5% or 10% chance to generate.

Also, I would dearly, dearly love for one mod or another to bring sanity to the way biomes generate. Terrafirmacraft does this neatly by making the z axis (I think, the north south axis, anyway) represent distance from the equator. 0 z would be the equator, where you find your junles and deserts, and then as you move further away you get your semi-tropical, then temperate, then artic biomes. It limits useful terrain gen from 17k to -17K along the z axis, but it also means you have none of this bullshit of a snowbiome next to a desert biome anymore.
Sorry about dragging up a post from so long ago, but Better World Gen now has temperature transitions in its new biomes.
Which basically means that hot things like deserts won't spawn right next to cold things like tundra, and instead will have to go through a random assortment of in-between biomes, like shrubland and plains.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry about dragging up a post from so long ago, but Better World Gen now has temperature transitions in its new biomes.
Which basically means that hot things like deserts won't spawn right next to cold things like tundra, and instead will have to go through a random assortment of in-between biomes, like shrubland and plains.
I like that and I don't. The abrupt transitions were always such a charming part of minecraft...

Qwertz

Jul 29, 2019
BOP looks very nice, but unlike EBXL, it does not play that nicely with other mods.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
No I didn't read them. Sorry if reading that inconvenienced you. :p
Not inconvenience, mildly amused, as poor KirinDave has stated several times that BOP plays fine with other mods and has incoming advancements in that area. I even have the version that doesn't play well with other mods, and it at still runs with FTB Mindcrack pack, just has gen issues, but as i said, Im using an older version.

Qwertz

Jul 29, 2019
Not inconvenience, mildly amused, as poor KirinDave has stated several times that BOP plays fine with other mods and has incoming advancements in that area. I even have the version that doesn't play well with other mods, and it at still runs with FTB Mindcrack pack, just has gen issues, but as i said, Im using an older version.
Thats good to hear.

DrunkenWolfer

Jul 29, 2019
I'll stay with EBXL with all the snowy biomes disabled. I always have that 'luck' of being surrounded by snow.

Also for bee breeding is such a pain in the ass if you have that many extra biomes. Now in my 1.5.1 game I need Rural bees for faster tree pollination and I need a miracle to find a plains biome. Mystcraft is another way to do it but you know... I want to do it in the overworld.

Blazape

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if ya'll know this but EBXL is going to be leaving the FTB packs in 1.6 to be replaced by BoP

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if ya'll know this but EBXL is going to be leaving the FTB packs in 1.6 to be replaced by BoP

ForgeCraft 1 is running an unaltered config of BoP now, I'm told.

I only know of one bug with BoP right now (thaumcraft integration, angry zombies NEVER spawn); overall it's very good.

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
i am thoroughly loving bop, and with the better world gen 4 support added in 0.5.2, it just keeps getting better.

i actually enjoy exploring again. i suppose i just spent too much time with ebxl to the point where it had gotten stale.

i could probably play a relatively vanilla-ish ssp with just bop, tinkers and natura. and it would be a blast!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
i am thoroughly loving bop, and with the better world gen 4 support added in 0.5.2, it just keeps getting better.

i actually enjoy exploring again. i suppose i just spent too much time with ebxl to the point where it had gotten stale.

i could probably play a relatively vanilla-ish ssp with just bop, tinkers and natura. and it would be a blast!

Toss in MFR, TE and AE and I could see this. I'd miss Modular powersuits, as well.

The MFR betas are so epic, man. So epic.