Ethanol

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sengir

Jul 29, 2019
I was merely criticizing his lack of clarification for why he made the change until this thread.

I tweeted about ethanol at 7:55. This thread was posted at 8:07. My "clarification" was posted at 8:45. I assume I have to be speedier at finding random discussions about tweets regarding item renames in the future... My bad. I see now that my scandalously long silence on this issue has facilitated the spread of conspiracy theories!

(Seriously: Wtf?)

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you don't want people to speculate on why the change occurred, then... yeah.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Kevin Smith would say, "Any media is good media, even if it's bad media." So, it's a good thing if people are that interested even in something like a name change.

Heck, and since the mod author shows up to talk ... that just makes me appreciate good authors like you over other authors that wouldn't give the time of day.

(edited words that made the issue out to be small ... that's my opinion, and influenced by the scope of things I consider big and small. To others - the mod author, the original poster - this is not a minor thing)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I tweeted about ethanol at 7:55. This thread was posted at 8:07. My "clarification" was posted at 8:45. I assume I have to be speedier at finding random discussions about tweets regarding item renames in the future... My bad. I see now that my scandalously long silence on this issue has facilitated the spread of conspiracy theories!

I would think it to be, no offense, common sense to post the reasoning for a semi-major change(any change that warrants informing the public before release) when you post the change itself. I don't mean to be an ass about it, but it just seems begging of speculation when a change is announced without announcing the reason for it at the same time.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I thought that the change was kind of smart. I mean, yes, it breaks the ties between MFR Biofuel and Forestry Biofuel, but I thought that the vastly cheaper production of Biofuel in MFR was somewhat stupid. Very useful, but it undermined the whole reason to use Forestry Biofuel. My only gripe is that I can't easily automate the gathering and production of Apatite(even though a regular sized vein will keep you running for a long time even if you lack fortune tools to mine it).
If one could automate Fertilizer production without apatite WITHOUT GregTech to produce Saltpeter, we would have the salve for our metaphorical itch. In the mean time, though, I have a video to prepare to record. Someone wanted to see my "endgame power production" idea in action, so I'm currently having a party in the nether.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Let's pretend for a moment everyone that plays Minecraft isn't.
...But... I don't really even know who Etho is... I have heard that he makes Minecraft videos. I might have seen a couple too.
But the name does not really ring a bell.

Unless, does he use Sphax (the texture pack I mean) and is he good with Bees?

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019

This is why twitter and such is a bad place to post these things first. Or to try and cram that information into such a tiny space.

People are suspicious by nature, something that kept them alive in the past. And while it's obnoxious, it still serves a purpose. You can either try and soothe them off the bat, or just toss things at them and let them wonder.

An easier way to avoid this in the future would be to give a short single sentence as to why something(Major things, This was a major thing to change being as how many people use it.) changed.

Changing Biofuel to Ethanol, Would cause bugs with MFR if i did'nt. Will fix later. Just a name change.

All drama averted, No space for people to grow wild crazy things in their minds. :D

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
...But... I don't really even know who Etho is... I have heard that he makes Minecraft videos. I might have seen a couple too.
But the name does not really ring a bell.

Unless, does he use Sphax (the texture pack I mean) and is he good with Bees?

That's generikB.

He is pretty good with bees though and he doesn't do just straight up FTB he does a lot (Wish he'd do more.) Vanilla Minecraft.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
No.

Ethanol is a bad name when it could be re-named moonshine or Everclear. There is also no option to throw flaming jello shots at creepers. This is unacceptable and must be corrected soon or I will stop playing Forestry forever and ever.

In the real world, industrial ethanol should never be consumed because it must by law contain denaturing agents that give it a powerful bitter flavor and toxic effects. The logic goes that I already fail to comply with even the most basic OSHA standards in most of my builds and operate a nuclear reactor without insurance, so breaking a few more laws won't hurt. Well, it won't hurt much.

FivEven

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I like how Forestry Farms look. It's a cool idea.

I just wish they didn't require apatite. That's the deal-breaker for me. I simply cannot automate that. If I can't automate my energy generation, then I don't use it long-term. That's my rule of thumb.

Looking forward to seeing that, though. If you can get it to work well, I may give it a shot.
I once thought similar about fertilizer from apatite.

However, there is a way for those who use GregTech to produce equivalent fertilizer.

Saltpeter Dust (KNO3)

Research how to generate this stuff, and you should be set. I was thinking Ender Pearls being the most practical of options...

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I once thought similar about fertilizer from apatite.

However, there is a way for those who use GregTech to produce equivalent fertilizer.

Saltpeter Dust (KNO3)

Research how to generate this stuff, and you should be set. I was thinking Ender Pearls being the most practical of options...
Isn't ender pearl dust the only way to get the potassium? T'was the last time I checked.

Of course, there is also the saltpeter generator someone made on this very site using Railcraft and pistons. But that almost seems... exploitive...

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
No.

Ethanol is a bad name when it could be re-named moonshine or Everclear. There is also no option to throw flaming jello shots at creepers. This is unacceptable and must be corrected soon or I will stop playing Forestry forever and ever.

In the real world, industrial ethanol should never be consumed because it must by law contain denaturing agents that give it a powerful bitter flavor and toxic effects. The logic goes that I already fail to comply with even the most basic OSHA standards in most of my builds and operate a nuclear reactor without insurance, so breaking a few more laws won't hurt. Well, it won't hurt much.
It's only dangerous if you use a straw on it. Relax! ^-^

Sent from my phone using black magic

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
*stuff about Biofuel or something being changed to ethanol which I don't really care about because I don't use forestry much but I like the new name lol*
I'm sorry, I've serach quite a bit. Where do I find recipes for new releases and such? It seems that NEI is often not working correctly with Forestry stuff, and I'd really like to try out the new content. The forestry wiki doesn't have them, and neither does the FTBWiki. Thank you, and I'm sorry for bothering you.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry, I've serach quite a bit. Where do I find recipes for new releases and such? It seems that NEI is often not working correctly with Forestry stuff, and I'd really like to try out the new content. The forestry wiki doesn't have them, and neither does the FTBWiki. Thank you, and I'm sorry for bothering you.
Craftguide? AFAIK both Forestry and Railcraft have integrated craftguide support, but NEI support is third party.

Reactions: Chocorate