Ethanol

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
I suspect Sengir objects to other versions of biofuel showing up in other mods or something silly like that.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I suspect Sengir objects to other versions of biofuel showing up in other mods or something silly like that.

Yeah but like, uh, Power Crystals can just change his fluid name too. If MFR is the subject: Forestry is unchallenged. While it's nice to have unpowered fuel generation, the Fermenter+Still is still a much higher yield per unit fuel (and I think unit time once you get trees bred correctly?) than the bio-reactor. Heck, even this new engine from MFR gburns fuel harder (more mj/t) but has noticably lower total yield than other solutions.

Is there someone else in the game?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah but like, uh, Power Crystals can just change his fluid name too. If MFR is the subject: Forestry is unchallenged. While it's nice to have unpowered fuel generation, the Fermenter+Still is still a much higher yield per unit fuel (and I think unit time once you get trees bred correctly?) than the bio-reactor. Heck, even this new engine from MFR gburns fuel harder (more mj/t) but has noticably lower total yield than other solutions.

Is there someone else in the game?
The thing is the 9 necessary items in a reactor have a bit of a wider variety and each reactor produces 1 bucket every 5 seconds when using 9 different items. It also becomes trivial to gather most of these using MFR. This would be fine with just MFR since it only has one way to be powered on it's own. Personally if I were PC, just to mess with Sengir, change his biofuel to Ethanol too.

It just seems silly to try and force his ideal on the mod in specific cases of cross mod interaction when the vision of the mod is already going to be destroyed regardless because there are other mods.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
It just seems silly to try and force his ideal on the mod in specific cases of cross mod interaction when the vision of the mod is already going to be destroyed regardless because there are other mods.
So I'm not the only that kinda felt like many of the recent nerfs and changes to similar functions across mods, were just part of some pissing match?

Reactions: Technician and Hoff

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, in a game where something like Biofuel is as renewable as my ability to expand my farm, the unit efficiency doesn't really bother me.

I prefer PC's method because it is monumentally faster. Were I using Stills and Fermenters, my system would be so backed up with unprocessed saplings that I'd need an entire room dedicated to fermenting and stilling simply to keep up with my one bio reactor.

So, yeah. He can keep his ethanol.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, in a game where something like Biofuel is as renewable as my ability to expand my farm, the unit efficiency doesn't really bother me.

I prefer PC's method because it is monumentally faster. Were I using Stills and Fermenters, my system would be so backed up with unprocessed saplings that I'd need an entire room dedicated to fermenting and stilling simply to keep up with my one bio reactor.

So, yeah. He can keep his ethanol.

Yeah well I eventually got MFR farm -> Forestry Fuel refining working on a power positive loop and it was very good. It was not "too good", because "too good" is defined as fuel bees.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah well I eventually got MFR farm -> Forestry Fuel refining working on a power positive loop and it was very good. It was not "too good", because "too good" is defined as fuel bees.

Yeah, and for me, using the Bio Reactor is simply personal choice. If PC ever makes it so that his MFR farms can't harvest Redwoods, I may have to switch back to Forestry for my processing. I just don't really want to.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, and for me, using the Bio Reactor is simply personal choice. If PC ever makes it so that his MFR farms can't harvest Redwoods, I may have to switch back to Forestry for my processing. I just don't really want to.

I am gonna give forestry farms another honest try in my lets-play. I am going to power them with UE power, so I suspect I can more tightly regulate their power consumption and end up with something that might be a better result. Because I really do like the way they look.

And also I have a just outrageously silly idea for how to couple ars magica with a forestry farm. Gonna be generating fuel for the farm via a nexus on top of the farm which is powered by the farm's outputs. I have a "recipe" for making dirt blocks via immibis microblocks and I intend to use that to generate the dirt; frequently one of the most annoying parts of the system to automate. :D

Sengir

Jul 29, 2019
*rolls eyes* Yes, yes. Obviously, this is all just a vast conspirancy to somehow force people to play a certain way... *sigh* For a community that claims to abhor drama, people really like to conjure it from thin air.

The reasons for the name change are simple: Numerous bugs have been occuring since MFR introduced its own (compatible) biofuel. The liquid code in Forestry was written at a time when such a thing as the liquid dictionary did not exist. For that reason most recipe handling is hardcoded to actual item ids and does not use the liquid dictionary. I thought I had squashed those bugs in 2.2.0.1, but turns out I still missed some. So instead of playing "whack-a-bug" for the next 10 releases, I am simply changing the internal name of the liquid. No conflicts with MFR anymore - which means people can actually run Forestry and MFR alongside instead of having to choose one or the other because of $crashbugoftheday. In the meantime I can sort out the liquid dictionary issues at my own pace.

It's not like there is any real reason to have MFR and Forestry produce the exact same liquid. If you are using MFR, you'll feed its biofuel into its bio generator and if you are using Forestry you are dumping ethanol into Forestry's bio generator for EU or straight into combustion engines. Both liquids burn in RC boilers at the same rate. And it's not as if "ethanol" magically isn't added to the liquid dictionary.

So... could people please kindly stop freaking out over a simple name change which will prevent future bugs and actually make MFR and Forestry run more smoothly alongside? But I suppose $drama is more fun...

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I am gonna give forestry farms another honest try in my lets-play. I am going to power them with UE power, so I suspect I can more tightly regulate their power consumption and end up with something that might be a better result. Because I really do like the way they look.

And also I have a just outrageously silly idea for how to couple ars magica with a forestry farm. Gonna be generating fuel for the farm via a nexus on top of the farm. :D

Honestly, I like how Forestry Farms look. It's a cool idea.

I just wish they didn't require apatite. That's the deal-breaker for me. I simply cannot automate that. If I can't automate my energy generation, then I don't use it long-term. That's my rule of thumb.

Looking forward to seeing that, though. If you can get it to work well, I may give it a shot.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
*rolls eyes* Yes, yes. Obviously, this is all just a vast conspirancy to somehow force people to play a certain way... *sigh* For a community that claims to abhor drama, people really like to conjure it from thin air.

No drama here, dawg. We're just curious.

I thought I had squashed those bugs in 2.2.0.1, but turns out I still missed some. So instead of playing "whack-a-bug" for the next 10 releases, I am simply changing the internal name of the liquid. No conflicts with MFR anymore - which means people can actually run Forestry and MFR alongside instead of having to choose one or the other because of $crashbugoftheday. In the meantime I can sort out the liquid dictionary issues at my own pace.

This is a good solution. Makes sense. No drama necessary.

So... could people please kindly stop freaking out over a simple name change which will prevent future bugs and actually make MFR and Forestry run more smoothly alongside? But I suppose $drama is more fun...

I think the only real takeaway is that we're engaged with your mod, man. That and that right now PC's farms enjoy more popularity than your farms in the FTB community, for many reasons listed in other threads but probably foremostly because of apatite and some stuff that automated farms do. People are curious if something will impact that.

Personally, I cannot imagine modded minecraft w/out forestry. My only possible wish is that forestry farms would be a bit friendlier in default mode and that your electrical engine had UE support.

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the clarification. Changes can seem random without information which leads to speculation.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Looking at postings #1, #4, #6, #7, #8 I had a different impression. But I hope the issue is cleared up now.

Like RedBoss said; clarification is the only thing that will stop gossip. It should say something that when you made the change the first conclusion most came to was the same I did.

Reactions: Catarooni

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Totally ignoring what the mod maker said and opting to go down the conspiracy theory path...

I bet he's doing it because aliens abducted him and made him change the name to something more in line with their plans to invade and take over the world.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Totally ignoring what the mod maker said and opting to go down the conspiracy theory path...

Please; elaborate. I was merely criticizing his lack of clarification for why he made the change until this thread.