ELORAAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Wait. The reason I havn't been able to route item/fluidducts side by side was because of @#$(*ing FMP support? While I have seen some fantastic FMP builds, the whole multipart notion annoys me and I don't use it in my own builds. And now I learn the reason my workshop has such convoluted itemduct routing is down to me not using FMP?

This pushes me from ambivelance to active dislike. Get rid of FMP and its pretentious dependency on scala.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Seeing people blame Scala, makes me laugh.
Scala isn't the ultimate problem with it.... xD

I never said scala was to blame. I just said it was pretentious.

The problem with FMP is its reason for being is self destructive: While it is unsuccessful we can tolerate the performance overhead its rendering complexity adds to the few mod blocks that use it. If it becomes successful and widely used then the performance will be a problem.

Additionally, for some poeple (myself at least) minecraft is about building with blocks. The entire precept of "micro" blocks is against that spirit of simplicity.

Last edited:

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I never said scala was to blame. I just said it was pretentious.

The problem with FMP is its reason for being is self destructive: While it is unsuccessful we can tolerate the performance overhead its rendering complexity adds to the few mod blocks that use it. If it becomes successful and widely used then the performance will be a problem.

Additionally, for some poeple (myself at least) minecraft is about building with blocks. The entire precept of "micro" blocks is against that spirit of simplicity.
I never said you did blame it, other may have earlier in the thread though.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
After her dropping off the face of the earth it seemed, I am just happy to know all is well with her. She helped build the foundation that got the modding community to where it is today, and I for one, am thankful for that. If she chooses to make some new mod, or continue with RP, I would definitely check it out. RP2 was what got me into playing modded Minecraft in the 1st place.

Welcome Back Elo. You have been missed by many.

Reactions: Francis Baster

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I was a huge fan of RedPower, still am as I still play a 1.4.7 game with a friend. Back in the day I would occasionally don the holy regalia and play a paladin. I never thought that anyone should delay making a pack for lack of RedPower though. I moved on and used other mods. The one thing that I really miss is the computers, I hope they make a comeback in some form. But the Eloraam Incident was a lesson to the community, a major core mod that doesn't have a team to take it over might just disappear. I'm excited to see what happens next.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
About 100% of the uses of FMP+ducts are just to either stop ducts connecting, or cover them up. Don't you think FMP is way overkill for that? Facades are good for covering things. For preventing connections, maybe wrenching a duct connection would remove it (just between those two ducts) like the ThaumCraft essentia tubes.

Of course, neither was considered a problem in Minecraft 1.1. How times have changed...
That's like saying that 100% of the uses of food are to enjoy the taste and not starve. At least we don't need FMP to survive :)

That being said, FMP can be useful for adding little flourishes to buildings. I use it for that, Morvelaira used it to make the AgSkies map and Kirindave's wife has made a lovely building that uses them a lot on their Yogscast series.

Since 1.4.7 I have been using 3 different microblock mods and while I won't comment on things like performance, they have all been nigh on indispensable to my building style. So I am happy to see FMP or an equivalent stay around, especially if performance issues slowly get solved.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
That's like saying that 100% of the uses of food are to enjoy the taste and not starve. At least we don't need FMP to survive :)

That being said, FMP can be useful for adding little flourishes to buildings. I use it for that, Morvelaira used it to make the AgSkies map and Kirindave's wife has made a lovely building that uses them a lot on their Yogscast series.

Since 1.4.7 I have been using 3 different microblock mods and while I won't comment on things like performance, they have all been nigh on indispensable to my building style. So I am happy to see FMP or an equivalent stay around, especially if performance issues slowly get solved.

When you say 3 Microblock mods are you counting RP2?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I wish to clarify: I love screenshots of builds using FMP. Other people do fantastic things with them.
Myself? I tend to obsess over small details, so given FMP I would end up with a base made entirely of dirt, except for one room that I obsess over the microblocks in.
And in Agrarian Skys they were actually annoying as you had to remove them to actually play the map (i.e. cover the barrels from rain and put chests and work benches against walls).

I do definitely NOT want FMP to go away. I just want it to be a very optional mod, that I can disable.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
PEOPLE WERE POSTING ANGRY KITTEN GIFS AND DIDN'T INVITE ME?!

SCREW YOU GUYS.

2923483_o.gif

I'm out!!

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Seeing people blame Scala, makes me laugh.
Scala isn't the ultimate problem with it.... xD
When in doubt, blame Scala :p

I haven't used Scala/FMP for modding yet, Scala looks interesting for sure, but I don't want to learn another programming language so I can support FMP for my mod. I'm already trying to figure out java and ruby, I REALLY don't need a third language.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
What's a better topic to discuss here, though? Invading Eloraam's life and/or privacy or kittens?
Talking about RP2 and how you used/want to play it if it gets updated or just welcoming her back into the MC world.

Kittens are invalid and don't add to conversation.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Talking about RP2 and how you used/want to play it if it gets updated or just welcoming her back into the MC world.

Kittens are invalid and don't add to conversation.
Granted, but I still think this is sort of a topic doomed from the start, given the history of RP2/Eloraam threads.
Getting away from deviating with kittens, I'd welcome her back as much as the next person. But I still think proven highly volatile conversation like this is best kept private.

Just my thoughts. I'll leave y'all to it now.

Reactions: Adonis0

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Granted, but I still think this is sort of a topic doomed from the start, given the history of RP2/Eloraam threads.
Getting away from deviating with kittens, I'd welcome her back as much as the next person. But I still think proven highly volatile conversation like this is best kept private.

Just my thoughts. I'll leave y'all to it now.
It's only doomed if the users posting choose to do so, I still have some faith in some users not making drama out of everything or trying to derail a thread to being locked.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
It's only doomed if the users posting choose to do so, I still have some faith in some users not making drama out of everything or trying to derail a thread to being locked.
Well put and I agree, that said I won't be partaking.
I think the issue is that it's more or less unfair to talk about Eloraam.
It's not fair how her name's become mud almost in this forum and other forums because some, not all people tend to speak on her behalf, unjustly speculate or slander her and that's a curse with most topics of this nature, especially when she doesn't or even can't speak out for herself.
So this is the most I'll talk about her unless she makes her own appearance and speaks for herself for once which I would think, justifiably, she's not fond of doing with this community.

I'm glad she's "back".

I'm done now. For realsies.

Status
Not open for further replies.