ELORAAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Related: Do AE Chests (in AE2) work as actual chests? As in, can you directly pump items into them?

If so, I am going all-out storing mode.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
On the other hand, though, she could work on tech and revitalize the genre, which it really needs.
Smartest statement ive seen in a while because Roc and Rec are the only passable tech mods right now that arnt stagnent (not counting TE, to simple for a full fledge tech mod)

(mods like big reactors arn't *tech* mods just addons really)

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Smartest statement ive seen in a while because Roc and Rec are the only passable tech mods right now that arnt stagnant (not counting TE, to simple for a full fledge tech mod)
Railcraft hasn't been stagnant for a very long time. Just because it has a theme that it sticks to doesn't mean it's stagnant.
(mods like big reactors arn't *tech* mods just addons really)
Big Reactors is a standalone, just useless on its own.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
So was I the only one to make a really REALLY R E A L L Y long tube system and set something going down it and watch it all the way?
Nope, I did that, too. Mostly because I was a tad bullheaded, loved decentralization, and hated how you had to chunkload the old teleport pipes or risk losing them to bug-induced oblivion. That, and it amused me.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, let's comprise! A tech themed magic mod!
e.g the opposite of Botania, except that it's just as cool. :p
Umm, Thaumcraft feels like a magic tech mod to me. Even more so when you see the design of the node stabilizers, looks like something out of a scifi show.
They have a very distinct Protoss vibe going on.

Frankly I think even magic mods have reached their glass ceiling. There isn't many things you could do that wont be similar to BM, TC, Witchery and AM2.

Reactions: YX33A

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
It isn't the mods themselves that are stagnant, it's the whole genre. BC's changes are still minor functionality tweaks, re-adding old content that can be done in 1.6 (albeit not as well) and a few other things other mods can already do. IC2 is dead (or zombified at best), and GT is completely total-conversion at this point. AE2 is in a state of limbo where it's still lagging behind AE1's features, though this will (hopefully) change. Railcraft is progressing and COULD be the mod we need, but it's not here yet and I sadly doubt that it can turn this ship around singlehandedly despite it's history of innovation (steam). TE is coming for 1.7 and will bring some cool stuff no doubt, but like RC I doubt it'll be enough. We need a new mod entirely with a new view and new ideas.

Actually, Azzanine's post reminded me of something odd: we don't have ONE ultra-futuristic tech mod aside from AE. Why don't we have crazy nonsense like that in Starcraft, Mass Effect, etc.?
Hell, at this rate Botania's gonna completely recreate SC2 (and most of the anime from the last decade) in MInecraft before we get an actual futute-tech mod.

Reactions: psp

psp

Jul 29, 2019
It isn't the mods themselves that are stagnant, it's the whole genre. BC's changes are still minor functionality tweaks, re-adding old content that can be done in 1.6 (albeit not as well) and a few other things other mods can already do. IC2 is dead (or zombified at best), and GT is completely total-conversion at this point. AE2 is in a state of limbo where it's still lagging behind AE1's features, though this will (hopefully) change. Railcraft is progressing and COULD be the mod we need, but it's not here yet and I sadly doubt that it can turn this ship around singlehandedly despite it's history of innovation (steam). TE is coming for 1.7 and will bring some cool stuff no doubt, but like RC I doubt it'll be enough. We need a new mod entirely with a new view and new ideas.

Actually, Azzanine's post reminded me of something odd: we don't have ONE ultra-futuristic tech mod aside from AE. Why don't we have crazy nonsense like that in Starcraft, Mass Effect, etc.?
Hell, at this rate Botania's gonna completely recreate SC2 (and most of the anime from the last decade) in MInecraft before we get an actual futute-tech mod.
Thank you for saying what everyone else didn't infer....

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
So was I the only one to make a really REALLY R E A L L Y long tube system and set something going down it and watch it all the way?
Nope. That was my primary motivation for learning RP2. I even designed my base so that I could have the best view of items whizzing about.

AE can never duplicate having your stuff zooming about. Yes you can see your 1,000 iron on a display. I'd rather see the accumulation happen and go into my diamond crusted chest that magically creates more volume by being more expensive than a wooden chest.

Besides that, I'm fine with mods that do cool things and leave me alone. I don't care about how many Russell Franklins your phase coil inducer generates as it approaches Finches' subluminal threshold. I DO want that machine to smelt my cobble so that I can make stone slabs. I DO want that other machine to recharge my Russell Franklin power sword.

I want cool stuff. Yeah, I don't mind a price or some infrastructure. But I'm here to make the grind of vanilla go away. Anything that makes it difficult to achieve that goal, is not bad, just not for me.

So I'll be patient for my brass pipes and clicky Sorting machine. Those were cool. I'll even put the thermopile across the room and make golems ferry batteries back and forth. That's so cool.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest area in which i personally would like a mod is ultra futuristic space mods as Zenthon_127 said. This mod i feel has the most potential http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1938578-164-warpdrive-mod-ships-space-lasers/ but still feels like its in beta. But almost all of the ideas are new and are super cool. I would love to see a refined version of a mod like this one. But yes overall i would agree with Zenton_127 that there needs to be something new in the tech area. I would love to try to code my own futuristic mod but i have no patience and never found time to learn java script.

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I may have already said this, but you can disable cheat mode in the configs. Which you obviously know how to play around with as a balanced modpack maintainer.
I still get the odd individual who gloats at being a 'leet haxxor' by being able to edit a .cfg file to re-enable it. Then decides to try and rub it in my face, as though it was some sort of accomplishment, or that he was somehow putting one over on me for having done so.

However, if you read my original post, you will note my biggest reason I prefer CraftGuide to NEI... massively less resource intensive. The lack of cheat mode is kind of like the cheap plastic toy in the box.

Reactions: YX33A and immibis
Status
Not open for further replies.